+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High School Kids

on vacation
    I think this is a very good thread, cali. It's about time people mention the great things that kids of that age group do!!

Not that this directly applies to this exact situation but I'm going to mention it anyhow because it really bugged me. Some of my son's college age baseball teammates who live in an apartment complex right near their campus, had a fire in their building this past weekend. It was caused by lightning hitting the building in a storm that smouldered in the attic for an hour and half before the smell of smoke woke someone up. (The lightning made the power go off therefore killing the smoke detectors too.)

Okie anyhow, there was an article in the local paper about how the Fire Chief said that everyone in the 16 apartment complex was lucky to be alive. The apartment complex manager was quoted as saying how scary it was having people trying to get out as it was filling with smoke. She commented, using their names, that 3 of the boys from my son's team helped so many people get out including an elderly handicapped women and her cats and how wonderful they were "considering they were college kids." She also said, "usually college kids don't care about anyone."

Wtf?? I mean get away from the front of your tv and your gross overall generalizations and find out there are a lot of great college kids out there too. [/rant]

But yeah, it's time people realize there are great kids out there who are in high school AND college!!!
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

FORT Fogey
    sounds like a very mature and kind group of kids, kudos to their parents, teachers (including Cali) and most of all to the kids themselves.

I have to raise my hand and say how incredibly proud I am of my teenagers - all four of them (o.k. - the youngest is 12, but she's ALMOST a teenager!).

They are respectful, helpful, hardworking, and just plain fun to be around.

Sure, they have their "teenage" moments of moodiness (especially since three of the four are girls!), but those moments are few and far between, and we are able to deal with them.

This past summer, we had my daughter's entire High School marching band (over 70 kids) at our house for an end-of-summer marching band party . . . and I have to say, this was the absolute BEST group of kids I have ever been around. You would think that with so many teenagers in one place at one time doing nothing but goofing off and having fun that it would be chaos - but there wasn't a single problem! They were great!

I feel very blessed to have my kiddos. They are the best!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Woo hoo - what a great thread! My teens were so great - but I thought mine were the minority. Maybe there is hope after all.

I think a lot of it depends on the area they live in and the attitudes about authority they grew up in.

When I went to highschool (even with a graduating class of 256) it was far from being orderly or polite. I mean the year after I graduated, they put metal detectors in. Of course this was in NYC, in harlem, but what to do.

Out here, I've been surprised at how polite and cordial they all are here. Even last fourth of july, there weren't any teenies shooting fireworks at each other or anything.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

I think most teenagers are bad in groups because of the whole peer pressure thing and showing off for your friends. I know a lot of guys who were in the "popular" group and they would be nice to you one on one, but in groups wouldn't give you the time of day. I wouldn't associate myself with them, it seems the lower in "ranks" you go in high school the better friends you have. My best friends were kids who weren't that popular in school, they I find are more loyal. When it comes to teachers, if they can make the students want to come to class and have fun they will be better behaved. I had one teacher who was known to favour the girls so the guys...including myself...were smart ass' to her and never liked her. But I think all in all it comes down to the parents. I think mine did a hell of a job raising me and I try to be respectful to everyone, if your kids are the same you should give yourselves a pat on the back.

Interesting.

Yes there IS hope out there haha... I (honestly) was one of the "others", i was rebellious then... graduated 2 years late...oh well's .. But agree with Clipse, it is also the parents, mine were...well non-existent..

I was completely expecting to read a rant here. This post caught me off guard!

Well, first off, I guess I should say that I'm a teenager myself (senior in high school) and have witnessed my share of interesting substitute encounters over the years. Subs are an easy target, and I've seen them be harassed and taken advantage of even by good students in AP classes. I have also met some pretty nasty subs who I think were disillusioned about their jobs and clearly hated us. I think high schoolers have this sixth sense that tells us when an adult secretly (or not so secretly) thinks we're a bunch of filthy troublemakers, and that's typically why we inflict our wrath. cali, you probably had such a nice experience because you were nice and have such a cool attitude. It makes all the difference.

I must say, however, that middle school is a hell hole and I have no idea how anyone could see otherwise. And I'm not exactly sad about leaving high school, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipse
    I think most teenagers are bad in groups because of the whole peer pressure thing and showing off for your friends. I know a lot of guys who were in the "popular" group and they would be nice to you one on one, but in groups wouldn't give you the time of day. I wouldn't associate myself with them, it seems the lower in "ranks" you go in high school the better friends you have.
    totally agree

That's good to know that there are many good teens out there. I'm already nervous about who my kids will hang around later on and they're only 2 and 9 months~lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast