+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: College Life

College Life

For everyone in college or about to go to college (and even parents of college students).

This week a lot of us go back for Fall classes (next week for others). How'd it go for you? I'm a senior, majoring in Business, minoring in Spanish.

I have Hispanic Literature class this semester and on the syallbus, it says, "no eating, drinking, gum chewing, hair-dos, manicures, pedicures". HUH?? lol I am a grown woman. If I want to take a sip of water in class.....guess what I will!

My university has about 38,000 students and all the buildings are spaced far apart. It is SO hot outside, I though I'd die of heat stroke. They have little tents scattered around with bottled water and towels. Yeah, it's that hot here in the South.

I have a Public Relations class that only meets Thursday nights so I have to tape Big Brother...arggh. We'll see how that goes tomorrow. I'm taking a Business Calculus class and a Spanish for Business and Trade course as well, but the latter course is a tape/online class. This semester should be good.

How's everyone else out there? I know roseskid should be starting soon. I remember her asking for advice earlier this summer. Hope everything went smoothly!

Ok, I can see no manicures or pedicures in class but no drinking????? Coffee or coke was how I made it through the day in college. Some professors have a bit of a god complex.

However, now that I said that, I do miss college. That was the most fun I've ever had. However if I tried to live like that now, I would die in about 2 weeks.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterxGold
    If I want to take a sip of water in class.....guess what I will!
    Especially since it's so hot.

I have a Public Relations class that only meets Thursday nights...
    Mm. Speaking as a former journalism major, PR is cake. (Well, most J-school classes are cake, but PR especially. )

Here's what you can expect: You'll spend approximately half your lectures talking about what PR is not (ex: Why it's not advertising, why it's not journalism, yadda freakin' yadda).

For our final paper, we had to dissect a PR "case study." I focused on crisis management: a compare/contrast of three crises (specifically Tylenol, Pepsi and Odwalla). And, no, you don't want my paper. It was a night-before special.

How's everyone else out there?
    I'll be returning and finishing sometime in the next year as the World's Oldest Senior. And, according to popular Hollywood lore, that means I have to show up dressed and driving a car that were cool the last time I attended college. Hilarity (TM) will ensue!

Good luck in school, GxG! I hope all goes well!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Glitter: Love the "no hair-dos, manicures and pedicures" part....sounds like this should be a pretty interesting class to be so "attentionally challenged"

(I'm a fellow Houstonian....you a Coug?)

Anyway, college seems so...........long ago. I do remember taking a class that was only offered on Friday nights from 7-10PM...I was an art major at the time and it was "Typeography"....you know, to learn how to draw letters in different fonts....not only did it interfere with weekend plans, but it was booooorrrrrring. They didn't call it the weeder class for nothing I guess.

Good luck to all of the students here....a college education is golden.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

I LOVED my college life. I get all misty eyed when I think about those wonderful, glorious days!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

I always like to give a few pieces of advice to college kids. These may seem like common sense, but its easy to get distracted and not think of them. Just trust someone that's been there (not that long ago ) and really screwed up for awhile.

1). GO TO CLASS! Don't skip class. Just don't do it, ever. It just gets easier and easier to continue skipping.
    2). Review your syllabus from beginning to end when you receive it and keep it somewhere safe. It's a contract between you and the professor and spells out their expectations and class policies (like their attendance policy). It gives you a rough schedule of when tests are, as well.
    3). Review and understand your universities drop/add policies. When the drop/add deadline approaches, you need to honestly evaluate how difficult your classes are and if you're afraid of getting overwhelmed. If you find yourself in several challenging classes, sometimes its better to drop one (and maybe add something easier) rather than struggle through all of them. You can always take it later on.
    4). And finally....stick to one kind of alcohol a night. You start mixing different kinds of booze together, you're just asking for it.

Good luck college kids! Especially all of you freshmen out there. I'm sure you'll all do great.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    1). GO TO CLASS! Don't skip class. Just don't do it, ever. It just gets easier and easier to continue skipping.

4). And finally....stick to one kind of alcohol a night. You start mixing different kinds of booze together, you're just asking for it.
    Thats the best advice any college kid can get!

Ahh.. I miss college It was so much fun (too bad my liver didnt think so). I loved all the parties, and meeting new people, and the laughing. I loved my sorority so much, and going to the football games, and tailgating.

Premium Member
    Good advice Stargazer. I used to have nightmares about skipping class and next thing I knew it was time for finals and I had never been to class. And... watch out for parties where the alcohol is served out of a large trash can. That stuff is wicked... do they even do that anymore? I'm sure they are a lot more strict about that sort of thing than they were back in the 70's.

Not being allowed to have something to drink in class is nuts, especially when it's so hot. When I was in nursing school I took a Coke to my Nutrition class and bought myself a good butt-chewing from the instructor for my poor choice of beverage.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 08-25-2005 at 10:52 AM.

Stargazer's advice was excellent. To that, I would like to add:

1. Get to know your professors.

I don't mean kiss their ass. I mean get to know them on a personal and academic level. If you have a question about the material or about their policies, for example, approach them after class rather than approach another student.

Make use of their office hours. Let them get to know you. Believe me, if something comes up later in the quarter/semester, and you need to reschedule an exam or hand in a late paper, Professor is much more likely to grant you a little leeway if he or she knows you than if you're some schmuck who's been sitting in the back of the class all semester, looking bored and now is asking him or her to grant you a special favor.

That's just one of many reasons to get to know your professors.

2. Develop a study routine

Whenever I read the material, I read it once to get the "gist" of it. After that, I really studied the material. I read it again, more slowly, and took notes on a legal pad. This was time consuming, but it worked (for me). First of all, you're not going to "get" the material on the first reading. (At least, I didn't.) Secondly, reading the material a second time and taking notes in your own words reinforces the learning. Finally, instead of having to "cram" the material from a text as I began studying for the exam, I had a summation of the material in my own words, when exam time rolled around.

3. Go. Study abroad.

You--yes, you! Go study abroad. It doesn't matter where. It doesn't matter when. It doesn't matter how. If I could do it all over again, the one college experience I would not pass up for love or money would be my study abroad. It opens your eyes to the world. It opens your eyes about yourself. It makes you a more well-rounded, interesting person. It builds confidence. And, yes, you can afford it. I worked for nine months in a video store making minimum wage, but I did it. You can, too. It takes discipline, and you'll scrimp and save, and you'll curse yourself while you watch your friends go out and have a good time while you have to pass, but the rewards are worth it.

Go before "real life" ties you down. Go before you have a job and family and all the other responsibilities that come after college. Just go!

(phat32, Semester in Bath '95, Asst. Chief Editor "The Bath Journal" )
    Last edited by phat32; 08-25-2005 at 11:07 AM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Stargazer is right -- go to class, and STAY AWAKE in class. I really wish I could go back and redo some of the classes I took and missed most of due to skipping or naps. I'd know a lot more about art history and astronomy, that's for sure.
    (but if you can't stay awake, wear a baseball cap. Seriously. I used to pull it down over my eyes for an early-morning class, and the professor NEVER caught on. I woke up once in time to comment on something we'd read, and thereafter he thought I was brilliant. )

Here's some other advice: take something fun. Sure, you don't NEED a full semester on the History of Jazz, or on plumbing the depths of Dracula, but these are the sorts of things that make you more well-rounded.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast