+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: College Life

Quote Originally Posted by Divine
    Do you have any recommendations on websites where I can get used textbooks?
    She mentioned Amazon.

But scout around looking for used books. I thought books were expensive when I was in college, now it's outragous. Clearly you need the book but used is just fine.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I graudated in May 2004, and let me tell you, those four years went by SO FAST it was unbelievable. It will literally be over before you know it; the fastest four years of my life! So enjoy and make the most of it because you blink your eyes and you're an adult in the real world like me at 23!

I had written out a huge reply to this the other day but got an error message and the whole thing was deleted *ack!* That one can go to the Pet Peeves thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Igotalife
    (I'm a fellow Houstonian....you a Coug?)
    Yep! *does the silly Coog gang sign*

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    And... watch out for parties where the alcohol is served out of a large trash can.
    Down here in Houston, it's called "Hater-ade"...errr so I've heard

LOL Phat, you are so right. I skimmed through the book and it goes on and on and on about what PR isn't. The wacky thing is that my prof works at my company and knows my department and everything! We chatted for a while after class and he might be able to help me out if I decide to pursue PR as a career. Sounds pretty cool so far.

HEhehe Yes! The best advice...go to class! I admit I am soo guilty of skipping like its 1999 (oh wait, it WAS 1999) back in my freshman days, and it takes a LONG time to fix the damage, especially when you have to work and go to school.

Those of you that watch ANTM - I saw a girl who looks exactly like Brandy for Cycle 4 working at the UH Bookstore (she IS from Houston after all). Her fro wasn't red though and she didn't seem that tall. I literally stared at her for a minute and almost asked her but was like nahhh she seems WAY too nice to be Brandy. I have spend almost $400 on books this semester. arrrgh.

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterxGold
    I have spend almost $400 on books this semester. arrrgh.
    Yep, that sounds about right I've spent a little more than that and still have a few books that I need to buy.

My first class is tonight and I am n-e-r-v-o-u-s! It's been a long time since I was a student. This class shouldn't be too bad - I signed up for it with someone I met at orientation. At least I'll already have a friend in class Tomorrow, I have class all day, so I consider it my real first day of school. Hopefully, the nerves will go away soon and everything will be cool. If nothing else, I'll lose a little weight from not being able to eat!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

If nothing else, I'll lose a little weight from not being able to eat!
    Is that from the stress or the cost of the books?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    Is that from the stress or the cost of the books?
    Probably a little of both!

I should post this in the pet peeves thread, but I still haven't received my student loan check. I'm sure this is linked to the problems I've been having with my mail delivery since I got back home. I also haven't gotten my parking pass ($108!), but at least I can walk until I get it. I'll probably be walking a fair amount of the time, but I know when it gets into the colder months I'm going to want to drive.

So yeah, I won't be eating much until my student loan check comes
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I'll probably be walking a fair amount of the time, but I know when it gets into the colder months I'm going to want to drive.
    You'll need some calories to keep your strength up for all that walking.

Good luck beginning tonight, and especially tomorrow, when you won't have that ready friend at your side. I'll be thinking of you.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

So yeah, I won't be eating much until my student loan check comes
    I can sympathize Critical. The red tape associated with student loans and in fact student anything is amazing. The summer between my first and second years of law school, I worked in the law library. I didn't get my first paycheck for 6 weeks. I had to budget myself $8 a week for groceries. For years afterwards, I couldn't stand top ramen (in those days, it was 8 for a dollar if you bought the store brand), Kraft macaroni and cheese, or turkey dogs.

My first class is tonight and I am n-e-r-v-o-u-s! It's been a long time since I was a student.
    You'll do g-r-e-a-t!!!!

Just know that you have us FORTer's behind you all the way cheering you on!!

This thread makes me want to go back to school. Good luck, Critical!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread