+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: College Life

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterxGold
    I am a grown woman. If I want to take a sip of water in class.....guess what I will!
    Glad to hear it. That's just crazy.
    How's everyone else out there? I know roseskid should be starting soon. I remember her asking for advice earlier this summer. Hope everything went smoothly!
    Thanks for thinking of us. Things went really well (unless you count the semi grinding into our rental car . (We're okay). But everything else was great...we definitely all feel Lil Rose is exactly where she should be. Now Mr. Rose and I are just trying to get used to the fact that she's not going to be walking in the front door for 86 days (but who's counting?).

Great advice everyone, I'm thinking of emailing it to Lil Rose (like any good nagging mother would ).

I respect and admire your determination, Glitterxgold, and wish you all the best.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Great advice everyone, I'm thinking of emailing it to Lil Rose (like any good nagging mother would ).
    Yeah, well, when she hits you and Mr. Roseskid up for the money for a year to study abroad in Italy and calls three months after she lands to tell you she's engaged to "Guillermo," don't blame me.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Yeah, well, when she hits you and Mr. Roseskid up for the money for a year to study abroad in Italy and calls three months after she lands to tell you she's engaged to "Guillermo," don't blame me.
    Ack! I could handle all of the above, with the exception of Guillermo, that is. Bite your tongue, Phat.

Just so you know, she's already dropped hints re: studying abroad...she's very efficient.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I would've loved to have studied abroad but I was a non-traditional student (i.e., working full time as well). I went to Pitt and they hosted the Semester at Sea program which would've been really cool.

Have fun this year Glitter!

Ack! I could handle all of the above, with the exception of Guillermo, that is. Bite your tongue, Phat.

Just so you know, she's already dropped hints re: studying abroad...she's very efficient.
    Who knows, Guillermo might turn out to be pretty-a decent-a!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Let me guess: Italy or France? Either way, you and Mr. Roses will soon either be hearing about how she's strolling along the Via Nazionale and eating pistachio gelato, or seeing the credit card bills for a shopping spree along the Champs Elysees.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    I would've loved to have studied abroad but I was a non-traditional student (i.e., working full time as well). I went to Pitt and they hosted the Semester at Sea program which would've been really cool.
    Not to rub it in, but I have a friend who did two Semesters at Sea and loved it.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I'll be returning and finishing sometime in the next year as the World's Oldest Senior. And, according to popular Hollywood lore, that means I have to show up dressed and driving a car that were cool the last time I attended college. Hilarity (TM) will ensue!
    I think I'm the World's Oldest Senior, Phat! At 36, it's a bit of a culture shock to be going back to school (classes start Monday = yikes!)

Glitter, I amen all of SG's advice and everyone else's too (*makes note to carry baseball cap in backpack for sleeping emergencies*). The most important things for me are going to class and developing a relationship with my professors. Those two become linked too - when your professor knows you, you are less likely to miss since he/she will notice that you're gone!

ITA about drinking in class. If it's hot, I'm drinking some water - I'm an adult.

When I went to my orientation a few months ago I was shocked at how things have changed. The "class etiquette" includes leaving your cell phone off during class. No one even had a cell when I was last in college! Another thing that has changed is the influence of the Internet. I registered, paid fees and ordered my textbooks online (they just came today). SO much easier than the way it used to be!

Good luck, Glitter! I'll be toiling away with you!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I think I'm the World's Oldest Senior, Phat! At 36, it's a bit of a culture shock to be going back to school (classes start Monday = yikes!)
    Ah, it's not too late for me to register for classes at the local community college! Then, we can be the World's Oldest Seniors...together!

(Somehow, I missed taking one of my frosh-level minor requirements, History 10B, the Development of Western Civilization from 1648 to the Present. I'm all, "So, damn, what did happen since the Age of Absolutism?" I took 10A, though, so I'm dying to find out what happens next. Don't tell me--I want to be surprised. )

ITA about drinking in class. If it's hot, I'm drinking some water - I'm an adult.
    If it's hot, I'm drinking some beer! This time, I'm legal!

When I went to my orientation a few months ago I was shocked at how things have changed. The "class etiquette" includes leaving your cell phone off during class. No one even had a cell when I was last in college! Another thing that has changed is the influence of the Internet. I registered, paid fees and ordered my textbooks online (they just came today). SO much easier than the way it used to be!
    I know it. I'm dating myself here, but who cares? Why, back in my day, we were told to turn our SkyPagers off. And near the end of my first go-around, one of my professors gave out his email address. I thought, "That's so crazy! Who would ever use email to communicate with his professor?"

Why, crazy college kids these days, with their light-weight mountain bikes and razor scooters, iPods and Sony PSP's, cell phones and Blackberry's. Why, back in my day, all we had were 10-speed bikes, Sony Discmans and we were lucky to carry a pager.
    Last edited by phat32; 08-25-2005 at 08:09 PM.

I am going to a community college and I can't believe the price of the books. It is almost half of what the tution charge was. Ridiculous! There goes my financial aid refund!
    BTW, I am taking a anatomy and physiology course. Whew! I have been studying all day (when I can between my two little ones) and this is a hard one...already!

Congrats, Critical! You'll be the older "Maam" to keep all the kids in line.
    If it's hot, I'm drinking some beer! This time, I'm legal!
    Why am I not surprised at this response from you. :nono
    Why, back in my day, all we had were 10-speed bikes, Sony Discmans and we were lucky to carry a pager.
    When I was in college, we did have bikes, but we only had 8-track tapes...now that's pathetic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast