+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: College Life

Thanks guys. I thought it was pretty cool. They will even allow me to take one class during working hours as long as I make it up (like taking half hour lunches instead of an hour lunch). They really encourage their employees to take advantage of it. The only two drawbacks (if you can even call it that) is that they dont pay for books and they only waive 8 credit hours a semester (full time is 12, I believe). I couldn't handle more than 8 while I'm working full-time, though, so I have no complaints.
    Last edited by Stargazer; 09-04-2006 at 11:03 PM.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Most know that I'm starting a job at a university tomorrow. Well, they waive tuition for their employees, so I'm also going back to school in the spring. I'm excited about it.
    THAT IS FANTASTIC! Congratulations! Do you have a major in mind that you'd like to concentrate in?

And myrosiedog, that's a great attitude. I remember my parents didn't want me to work when I was in high school and college. They said school was my full-time job and my job was to study and do well in school. They weren't rich--in fact, they had to scrape together my tuition money every year by cutting back on their own comfort (they never took a vacation while we kids were in school). I don't think I could be as selfless as they were! Now--during summer vacations--we were all expected to work during our entire breaks to earn spending money for school. So there were no "girls gone wild" trips for this gal during spring breaks. And that was fine by me.

My nephew just went away to college and he packed in such a hurry he forgot to bring things to make his dorm room look like HIS room. So I sent him a little care package with a check so he'd have some spending money for pizza etc., some homemade cookies, and some knickknacks/sheets etc. that hopefully won't embarrass a 17 year old boy too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    THAT IS FANTASTIC! Congratulations! Do you have a major in mind that you'd like to concentrate in?
    History or Sociology

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Stargazer! lol thats the name of the program my school uses for its email/student grades and crap stuff lol

college sucks...i cant stand being in the same classroom for more then an hour...lol *sigh* why did stupid science/math classes have to come with a damn lab lol

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    History or Sociology
    Cool Stargazer. I am starting back in Jan. 07 to finish my history degree.

What do you plan to do with yours? Everyone keeps asking me that and if I'm going to teach. I really don't know, not sure if I would want to teach, but may go on to grad school later.

But just wanting to know what your after school plans were or if you get the same reaction when you say you are going to major in history as I do.

People always ask me: WHY?

Cause I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    Free tuition? Too bad you can't bank it for your daughter also.
    When we moved to SC, I applied at Furman Univ. Didn't get the job, but I could get free tuition and so could my immediate family. Husband and daughter. Only stipulation was only one person could use it at a time and if my daughter didn't want to go to Furman, they had a reciprical agreement with a bunch of other private colleges she could go to for the free tuition. DANG! wish I had gotten THAT job!

I have a friend that works for Southern Illinois and she can go free and her kids half tuition.

I guess it depends on the University and in the SIU case the state as that one is part of the state university system.
    Last edited by MRD; 09-05-2006 at 07:10 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Wow, Stargazer, that is a great perk. So, it takes you longer to get a degree. At least you are getting it. Great role model for your daughter.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Cool Stargazer. I am starting back in Jan. 07 to finish my history degree.

What do you plan to do with yours? Everyone keeps asking me that and if I'm going to teach. I really don't know, not sure if I would want to teach, but may go on to grad school later.

But just wanting to know what your after school plans were or if you get the same reaction when you say you are going to major in history as I do.

People always ask me: WHY?

Cause I like it!

My first college disaster showed me I most certainly do not want to teach. I was in Music Education and hated all of the education courses. I would want to be in research.

Well, I just finished my first day of college and it was kind of cool actually.

As for the class that I tried to get into, I went in and asked my teacher if I could sit in for the day and one guy didn't show up so she told me to show up on Thursday (when the next class is) just in case this other guy doesn't show up. Inching ever so close to getting into my beloved Playwriting course!

Funnily enough, I have this same instructor for my Writing Fiction class and this class has a good group of people (I've already hit it off with one girl in the class who randomly struck up a conversation with me and she seemed pretty cool).

All in all, a good first day of college.
    If you really did love music, you wouldn't limit yourself to just one genre.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112