+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: College Life

Jen, my grandson left for college last Sunday and I haven't gotten a call yet. Do you think he just misses me too much to call and maybe break down?

Nah, me either.

I think showing up for the class is a good idea. They will probably have some people to drop out and you can just move right in.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    I want to 2nd the earlier advice to sit in the first couple of rows, center, (and 25th the advice to never cut class!! ). It makes you stay awake among other things, with the prof right in front of you, makes you feel like the class is smaller than it is, and the prof gets to recognize your face. Plus, if you get tempted to cut, you know the prof will notice!
    If the class is one where questions are appropriate (not 500 students or so), then try to come up with one RELEVANT question each class. This also forces you to pay attention. You don't always have to ask it, but try to most days. The profs remember the students who ask questions (both the idiots described in some earlier posts, the student whose question is always some variant of "how long does the paper HAVE to be, when is the exam", and the ones who ask "thought" questions, that show they are taking in what you say and taking it a step further). And you will get a lot more out of the class and get over some nerves about talking in groups.
    Re ratemyprofessor and similar sites....remember some of the people who write in are those who cut class and then, surprise, didn't do well. If there are lots of positive raves, you can probably believe it, but if it is a course like econ or physics or organic chem and people are moaning about how hard it is, and how mean the prof is, add a grain or 2 of salt. In other words, you can trust the positive reviews, not so much the negative ones, unless there are a lot and there is a real pattern.

Muduh, I remember being in Cuba for a week over Spring Break and a few days into the trip, my mom called the hotel for me and asked me to call her back. I ended up getting really worried thinking there was a crisis at home but it turns out she wanted to know why I hadn't called her.

The point of my story is that I was much too busy to call so don't be worried. Your grandson is probably just adjusting to college life and is doing okay. He will probably call when things are starting to wind down. Hopefully that helps.
    If you really did love music, you wouldn't limit yourself to just one genre.

My daughter just called from university...first few days there, first year. She was just being a sweetie because I could tell she was busy and involved in first week activities. I have the list of activities and I am surprised they have a moment to breathe!

Quote Originally Posted by JenTheSurvivah! View Post
    Muduh, I remember being in Cuba for a week over Spring Break and a few days into the trip, my mom called the hotel for me and asked me to call her back. I ended up getting really worried thinking there was a crisis at home but it turns out she wanted to know why I hadn't called her.

The point of my story is that I was much too busy to call so don't be worried. Your grandson is probably just adjusting to college life and is doing okay. He will probably call when things are starting to wind down. Hopefully that helps.
    I was just kidding. He'll call when he gets ready (or gets broke, whichever comes first). I'm not worried about him. He was waaay ready to get out of his house and on his own. He has probably already foud some friends to play guitars with. That will keep him busy.

MRD
    Best piece of advice I ever got about college:

Treat it as if it was an 8-5 job. If you go to class 3 hours a day, then study the rest. If you put 40 hours a week just like a job and keep the hours 8-5 then you should do very well and still have time in the evenings for other activities and have some weekends free too. Now sometimes you will need more study time especially if a paper is due, but for the most part, putting in that kind of time and treating it like a job, really, really, really helps a bunch!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I will be very interested to see how this turns out for this kid. He always got his homework, without fail, but if he ever actually studied for a test or anything, I missed it. I'm waiting for him to hit a point where he HAS to study to make the grade.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Best piece of advice I ever got about college:

Treat it as if it was an 8-5 job. If you go to class 3 hours a day, then study the rest. If you put 40 hours a week just like a job and keep the hours 8-5 then you should do very well and still have time in the evenings for other activities and have some weekends free too. Now sometimes you will need more study time especially if a paper is due, but for the most part, putting in that kind of time and treating it like a job, really, really, really helps a bunch!

That is fantastic advice, myrosiedog. I wish I would have followed it myself.

Most know that I'm starting a job at a university tomorrow. Well, they waive tuition for their employees, so I'm also going back to school in the spring. I'm excited about it.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Wow, SG, that's a remarkable perk. Pretty much every grown-up job I've ever had has been at some university or another, and none of them offered free tuition. They'd give some discount on general education classes, but no degree-for-free options. Not even Northwestern, which, hell, they have all the money in the world, you'd think they'd be generous. Maybe that's why they had all that money, though. Good for you!

Free tuition? Too bad you can't bank it for your daughter also.

+ Reply to Thread