+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: College Life

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    Some great advice in here.

I would totally recommend going abroad for college. I went back home to England for my degree and since I hadn't lived there since I was four it was a great experience for me.

I was initally only going for one semester as I was homesick. Two weeks in I made a great bunch of friend and decided to not go home for Christmas and stayed there for my whole degree. I don't think my Mum ever recovered from the shock of me staying there for four years.
    I definitely agree. As soon as I have enough saved up, I'm going to spend a sem abroad at South Africa. Been wanting to go there ever since I was young and I'm definitely not passing up the opportunity.
    "How do you feel about marriage and commitment?" - Britney Spears
    "I feel that...I feel that love is love...love has...I don't believe in marriage. I believe you can get married." - Kevin Federline

Huh? I think I just got stupider...
    Please do your part to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina: DONATE!

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Hey guys, I have a question. When applying to colleges, should money be a factor? I mean, I really want to apply to an ivy league as an early decision and I do have a slight chance that I might get in, but its $42,000 a year. Should I go for my dream and do my best or be restricted because of money ?
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

Go ahead and apply to the ivy leagues schools you dream about, Darkensoul. If you get accepted, then your first call should be to their financial aid departments. There are so many options available to students. Don't give up.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by DarKensoul7
    Hey guys, I have a question. When applying to colleges, should money be a factor? I mean, I really want to apply to an ivy league as an early decision and I do have a slight chance that I might get in, but its $42,000 a year. Should I go for my dream and do my best or be restricted because of money ?
    If you think you have a chance of getting in, I say go for it! There are lots of different ways you can get money to pay for tuition. The school's financial aid office can help you. Just be sure to apply to other schools with more affordable tuition as well, just in case. You want to make sure your options are open.

There have to be websites that list all kinds of available scholarships - anyone have any suggestions?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    There have to be websites that list all kinds of available scholarships - anyone have any suggestions?
    www.fastweb.com

That's the primary website for scholarships. You can sort it by what major you're interested in, your background, etc. etc. Its a very good resource. Many universities also have grants and private scholarships of their own that you could find on their financial aid website.

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    Yea, thats what I am thinking . Thanks guys. I am certainly applying for scholarships and I am going to work my butt off for these 2 major ones; one from my internship and the other from my school.

I told my parents, who aren't paying any tuiton , that I will do whatever necessary to pay. *sighs*...only 1 more year.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Came across this in a magazine........for anyone that might want to try to find college scholarship money and etc...

http://www.myrichuncle.com/
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Heh, I was almost gonna make a College Life thread but I see there is no need for that now that I have found the official College Life thread.

Anyways, my question for you guys goes something like this...

I have been #1 on the waiting list for a Playwriting course that I've been wanting to take. You see, the kicker here is that I have been #1 on the list for over a week now and there appears to be little to no progression on moving into the class. My confirmation date is on September 5th, the same day in which classes start.

My question to you guys is do you think I should show up to the Playwriting class on the 5th anyway just to show my initiative in wanting to be in the class or do you think I should wait? What are your guys' thoughts on my dilemmia?
    If you really did love music, you wouldn't limit yourself to just one genre.

Jen... If you don't have anything scheduled, then I would absolutely go and show up to the class! You can introduce yourself to the prof before class and let him know your situation. Then, when he's doing that first day's attendance he'll know at that time how many people actually showed up... and will be able to give you a good idea as to whether there's an opening. Chances are he'll let you in no matter what.

It can't hurt. I've seen it happen (back in my day... ) because the mucky-mucks want to keep a class limit but the professor doesn't really care. So go... go!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Thanks for the input Broadway. I've discussed this with some of my friends and they're also all for the idea of me showing up regardless (even my mom suggested the idea to me in the first place) and I think I am going to go through with it.

My first day of classes is tomorrow so I will let you all know how it goes over.

Oh, and the professor is a she.
    If you really did love music, you wouldn't limit yourself to just one genre.

+ Reply to Thread