+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: All About Fashion/Style

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    Please help settle a debate between me and doxie:

A black, three-button sport coat, paired with a blue French-cuff shirt, striped Donna Karan tie...and blue jeans (in neat, clean, good repair) and brown loafers.

The question is the blue jeans: Tacky? Or stylish? The event was a holiday party for clients at my workplace.
    Black shoes.....otherwise

I love jeans. Especially if there is a man in them.
    But you have to consider that this is coming from a girl who owns at least two denim DRESSES and has been known to wear dresses and combat boots.

Guess I'm quite the fashion disaster,huh? I just don't like being girly. I also have lots of tattoos. (for a girl)

I can dress other people. I just don't have much money and don't have that much interest in myself. Now the girl in the sweats and flip flops....OMG!!
    Last edited by JAFO'S PRINCESS; 12-19-2005 at 02:22 PM.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana View Post
    Well, it's not really being a snob when you just can't help notice what some people clad themselves in...such as a woman in a Christmas sweater covered in ribbons and tinsel, worn with sweatpants and FLIP FLOPS in 30 degree weather.

Oh, God, Tex....I can barely catch my breath on THIS one! I'll be laughing about her the rest of the day!

Thank you and thank you again for that visual!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Phat, I'm not opposed to jeans with dressier tops -- we women do it all the time -- but I think that once you put on french cuffs and a fancy tie, you're basically wearing the top of a suit, and then jeans. I think sports coats can work with jeans, but all the rest of it, it reminds me of the way TAs in college would dress -- ties and jeans. Also, I'm definitely on the "don't mix black with brown" bandwagon. :nono

Geek, I'll add my support to those who think the look you described is perfect -- a little black dress doesn't need a lot of bling. Simple and elegant, with the red lips and nails as a flash of color, will look great.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    Phat, I'm not opposed to jeans with dressier tops -- we women do it all the time -- but I think that once you put on french cuffs and a fancy tie, you're basically wearing the top of a suit, and then jeans. I think sports coats can work with jeans, but all the rest of it, it reminds me of the way TAs in college would dress -- ties and jeans. Also, I'm definitely on the "don't mix black with brown" bandwagon. :nono

Geek, I'll add my support to those who think the look you described is perfect -- a little black dress doesn't need a lot of bling. Simple and elegant, with the red lips and nails as a flash of color, will look great.
    That's IT! That's IT!!! Eureka, Lucy, that's the reason why I hate that look: all the TA's that were trying so hard to be cool but still figures of authority, when they were only 3-4 years older than the students were!

Thank you for finally getting in my brain and pulling that description out!

For me, it's the Luke Wilson as TA in LEGALLY BLONDE look; unshaven, crumply shirt, hands in pocket. Yah, I like an unshaven chin as much as I like unshaven legs with sandles (or kitten heels) in summer!

"Get those hands out of your pockets, Luke, and for God's sake, invest in a tie. You can afford one, now!"

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Lambi, it's Luke Wilson...he doesn't NEED clothes!
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I'm more into Reese Witherspoon than Luke...if you catch my drift.

Anyway, Tex: I'm awarding YOU the 1st Place Blue Ribbon Award for making me laugh so much today!
    You really know how to take the mickey outta me, and that's a tough thing to do! Only Sally does it better.

My sentiments exactly.

Thank you,Lambikins, for sharing that picture with us. I have a verysoft spot for Luke Wilson. As for unshaven chins and crumply shirts: It very much depends on who's sporting them. If it's Luke Wilson, David Duchovny, or John Cusack, it's the next best thing to no clothes at all. But then again, I've always had a thing for TA's

GREAT call, by the way, Lucy! Jeans, shirt and tie is the preferred TA/grad student outfit in Swedish colleges as well. Must be a universal thing...

Right. As you were.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

*holds up hands* All right, this is me, properly chastised. And, yes, maybe in hindsight that wasn't the best outfit, considering I am neither in academia or the creative arts. I could have gone tie-less, cuff link-less and rolled the shirt sleeves over the sleeves of the suit coat, but then I would have been trying just a little too hard to be "Hollywood trash." In LA, I probably would have been fine, but at a client party for IT consultants in the South, I probably stood out.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    I have this company (11 people) christmas dinner thingie to go to tonight and NO clue what to wear. I am having this gallbladder/pregnent look thing right now but don't want the pictures to look like I'm pregnant, cause I'm not any ideas? It's casual.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO'S PRINCESS View Post
    I have this company (11 people) christmas dinner thingie to go to tonight and NO clue what to wear. I am having this gallbladder/pregnent look thing right now but don't want the pictures to look like I'm pregnant, cause I'm not any ideas? It's casual.
    You're a jeans kind of gal, right? Since it's a casual dinner, I'd go with a pair of nice jeans, a cute top and some heels and jewelry to spice it up. If you're worried about looking pregnant, you could either go for a floaty top - the kind that makes everyone, including super models look pregnant - so that people won't know if it's the fabric or you, or something black and slimming. Avoid really tight tops and choose something you're comfortable in. And have a blast!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast