+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: All About Fashion/Style

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    *does sweeping Victorian bow from the waist*

Thank you, geek the girl. I knew you would get my back. +
    You're very welcome. As long as those jeans didn't look like something out of Jerry Seinfeld's closet, it sounds like a good outfit. (I have faith in you, though: I bet the jeans were fabulous.)

I was thinking the same thing: a little black dress doesn't need much in the way of accessories. I would think of going two ways:

The first is what you already hinted at. Ruby red lips, red nails. Think 60's pinup. You will stand out.

The second is "Audrey Hepburn"--elegant, understated dangly earrings (not Foxy Brown dangly earrings, but understated and elegant), a subtle clutch, a subtle bracelet, and subtle "Egyptian eyes" style eye makeup.
    Two great suggestions, both of which are very "me". I prefer understated elegance to downright bling most of the time. I think I'll go with fashion scenario numéro uno, though, as I have all the accessories I need for it.

Have fun and work that room, girl!
    Oh, I will! I'll make sure to have someone take a few pics of me so that I can post them in this thread later on. That is, provided that I don't get too tipsy on champagne

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus
    Depending on your colouring, red lips are good - they look best with darker hair. I would do diamond (rhinestone) dangly earrings instead of a pearl necklace, and a diamond (rhinestone) bracelet.
    I do have dark hair (it's out of a bottle, but still ) so I like to wear red lipstick and definitely will on New Year's Eve. Thanks for your input!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I also believe simple is best. Depending on your colouring, red lips are good - they look best with darker hair. I would do diamond (rhinestone) dangly earrings instead of a pearl necklace, and a diamond (rhinestone) bracelet.
    My girlfriend, Sally, went to a posh party this weekend and had a beautiful black dress, too, though different than yours it also had spaghetti straps.

What she did was wear her hair up but with dangly bits to soften the look, a blood red garnet drop necklace with tiny matching dangling earrings, and a chiffon wrap (in black) in case she got a chill or felt self-conscious. Black strappy heels and neutral hose completed the outfit.

Sally is a red head, so red lips and nails don't do well on her, so she chose coral as her color.

And thanks for letting us know "who won" and "who didn't". I have a girlfriend who wears jeans for every occassion she can get by with and she's 40! She HATES dressing up and insists that "clean jeans go with everything."

Only if you live in Montana, with Robert Redford as your husband!

I know that inveterate jean wearers will defend their jean-wearing like nobody's business but there ARE times where jeans, no matter HOW NEW OR EXPENSIVE, just. don't. cut. it.!!!

Same goes for those wretchedly, expensive NASA car jackets and Sport team jackets. Showing up at a nice party wearing a Green Bay Packers or Jeff Gordon jacket is so, so tacky. Go to Goodwill, for goodness sake, and buy a basic black coat! This obsession with down-scaling our wardrobe in the name of being comfortable is the fuel that makes shows like "How do I look?" so wildly popular and why they will NEVER run out of contestants.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I'm an unrepentant jean wearer
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana View Post
    I'm an unrepentant jean wearer
    I will send you Michele's address and the two of you can form a support group.

(we love you and your jean-wearing ways, Tex )

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Why thank ya, Lambi I'll have to add that well tended Doc Marten footwear on a man is suitable for just about any outfit? Well, so *I* think!

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana View Post
    Why thank ya, Lambi I'll have to add that well tended Doc Marten footwear on a man is suitable for just about any outfit? Well, so *I* think!
    You're baiting me, aren't you, Tex!

Well, Viva la Difference!

Not a fan of combat boots, Lambi? I consider them everyday wear for me, but I'll dress up under duress In which case I tend to dress on the conservative bent, with a Dooney and Burke (I agree JD, the new DB's are ugly).

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Only if you live in Montana, with Robert Redford as your husband!
    I was just wondering where you sign up to do this?

Geek, for New Years, you should always think glitzy. I agree that less is often more when it comes to accessories, but I'll second Rattus's advice to go for rhinestones instead of pearls. You want to sparkle at a New Year's Eve party.

lambikins, I couldn't agree more about the jackets. I have two motorcycle jackets with flags and such on them, but I always wear my basic black jacket to anything more formal.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    I was just wondering where you sign up to do this?
    Since "Bob" and I are on a first-name basis ( ), I'll drop him a line the next time I'm flying through Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    lambikins, I couldn't agree more about the jackets. I have two motorcycle jackets with flags and such on them, but I always wear my basic black jacket to anything more formal.
    What brought this to mind was a woman I saw this weekend at a Christmas Concert for Woodwinds. The poor dear, first off, looked like she was the subject of at least four Country & Western tunes (rode hard and put to bed wet) and she was wearing a beat to sh_t Green Bay Packers jacket, a green and yellow frayed scarf and GREEN nail polish to finish off the look. She looked like she'd be more at home selling band candy or working at a car wash than at a concert where the tickets were $50.00 bucks a pop.

Lest you feel sorry for her that she couldn't afford anything else, her husband was well dressed in casual pants and a black motorcycle jacket and her mother (??) was dressed exceedingly appropriate. Her two kids, a teen boy and girl were also wearing appropriate clothing. The Damsel in Distress was also sporting about 3 carats (total weight) of diamonds on her hands and in her ears, so she wasn't poor, just....challenged. I don't understand "reverse snobbism"; it's just as bad as being an original snob.

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    so she wasn't poor, just....challenged. I don't understand "reverse snobbism"; it's just as bad as being an original snob.
    Well, it's not really being a snob when you just can't help notice what some people clad themselves in...such as a woman in a Christmas sweater covered in ribbons and tinsel, worn with sweatpants and FLIP FLOPS in 30 degree weather.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast