+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: What Household Products Do You Use?

Re: What Household Products Do You Use?

Am I correct in assuming white vinegar? I have never heard of that - but I'm sure going to give it a shot.

MRD

Yes white vinegar. That stuff is great for a LOT of household uses.
    I buy it in half gallon containers because I use it a lot.

If I can't use bleach or white vinegar on it, then it can't be done!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Will garlic keep ants out if put around the window?
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3136295;
    Will garlic keep ants out if put around the window?
    Not sure about the ants, but it should work great if you are having a problem with Vampires!

We had an ant problem several years ago and my MIL told us that ants "hate" citrus juice and citrus smells. She suggested that we mix up lemon juice and water and spray it wherever the ants were. It worked really well! It killed them immediately and they didn't come back for awhile. Our main problem was in the kitchen so I just sprayed it on counters and tile. I'm not sure what it would do to wooden windowsills. Good luck!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Well I know ants won't cross ajax or comet if you lay a stream on the window sill. I've seen it, it's fascinating.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3135108;
    Vinegar helps set the color so that colors don't fade. And it's great if you forget and leave a load in the washer too long. Re run it with some vinegar and it will take the smell out that has started because you forgot you put something in the wash and remembered it the next day or two. Vinegar will also help dissolve any of the fabric softener residue left on clothes and towels.
    MRD, how much vinegar do you put into the washing machine? One of my sisters has her laundry room upstairs on the second floor. When I go to visit, I can smell the mustiness as soon as I start going upstairs and it drives me nuts. (She's great at putting a load into the wash before she comes down in the a.m., but most of the time doesn't go back up the stairs until bedtime.)

I would like to try to get rid of that smell or at least tell her how to do it!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3136411;
    MRD, how much vinegar do you put into the washing machine? One of my sisters has her laundry room upstairs on the second floor. When I go to visit, I can smell the mustiness as soon as I start going upstairs and it drives me nuts. (She's great at putting a load into the wash before she comes down in the a.m., but most of the time doesn't go back up the stairs until bedtime.)

I would like to try to get rid of that smell or at least tell her how to do it!
    I think about a cup should do it. I open the lid and let it "glug" a couple times as I pour.
    And yes, "glug" is a measurement.

I think about a cup should do it. I open the lid and let it "glug" a couple times as I pour.
    And yes, "glug" is a measurement.
    now you tell me..... I added the vinegar (a capful) to a load of towels yesterday -- if only you had specified "glug" .... I would have understood that

As far as the ant problem goes - my uncle owns a pest control company and he told me to spray Windex on the ants, it would kill them instantly. I rolled my eyes and said "Surrrre... so, exactly when will you be here? " But, I must say, the Windex does work instantly and the smell is so much more tolerable than Raid, etc! And... no greasy clean-up afterwards! Every year when it starts to get hot (we are in a newer subdivision on the outskirts of town and ants are a HUGE problem out here - ants would invade my kitchen (especially my island area) and I would call my uncle out. He told me to put out ant baits and I thought he was just trying to put me off -- but I must admit, the ants have not invaded me this year!!!!! It worked!!!! This is the first year EVER that I have not had to entirely clean out my pantry, island, and ALL my kitchen cabinets -- not to mention replace half of the groceries in my pantry. Gotta say, the ant baits are the cheapest remedy yet! For outside ant problems - boric acid sprinkled around the nests works - but I don't advise it if you have kids or pets.
    Last edited by Margaritaville; 07-18-2008 at 09:47 AM.

I am wanting to purchase a steam-cleaner for my tile floors - does anyone have one that they recommend? Or not??

MRD

Living in the bug capital of the US: Florida, I have to say that those ant baits work really well.

I couldn't help but laugh at the windex thing as I kept remembering My Big Fat Greek Wedding where windex cures pimples.

+ Reply to Thread