+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: What Household Products Do You Use?

Re: What Household Products Do You Use?

I read somewhere to put a little less than a tablespoon of vinegar in your wash, with fabric softener.

MRD

fabric softener and dryer sheets leave a
    "coating" on the towels that make them less absorbent. I don't even use fabric softener at all anymore and when I quit I washed all my towels with vinegar to dissolve what might still be on them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I don't put fabric softener in with my towels for that reason either (absorbency issue), but I can't stand static cling. I always put vinegar in my wash to keep the color bright when I put in the detergent, and then a Snuggle sheet in the dryer (for everything but towels). So far that combo has worked out ok for me with no spots.

Archie, would spraying Static Guard on your clothes work for you if you didn't want to use fabric softener?

MRD

I heard that using a fine mist sprayer of water does the same thing as that static guard. We get a lot of static here in the wintertime. I "snap" all my clothes and that helps get rid of the static as well.

But I hate when I do wear a pair of tights and my skirt clings to them and rides up because of static.

I have a problem with fabric softener because of the smells. I just don't like detergents or other products that have a scent to them.

FORT Fogey

I started using some of those dryer balls (an as seen on tv product) in place of dryer sheets, and have been generally happy with them. They don't prevent as much of the static as dryer sheets -- but they're cheaper in the long run, don't leave a film on clothes or break down the strength of the fabric, and do a pretty good job. You do have to replace them every few months for maximum effectiveness. But I've gone longer than that before, and they've still worked pretty well.

Another interesting thing about softener sheets -- several years ago, Consumer Reports had a report that said that the dryer sheets fade your clothing much faster than liquid fabric softener. They also gave the tip about not using fabric softener with your towels, or if static cling is a big issue - use it in half the quantity recommended by the manufacturer and use it every other load. It does make a difference.

Also dryer sheets should not be used with the Under Armour type of clothing that helps keep you dry as it blocks the fibers from absorbing the moisture from your body defeating the purpose of wearing those type garments.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3135019;
    Also dryer sheets should not be used with the Under Armour type of clothing that helps keep you dry as it blocks the fibers from absorbing the moisture from your body defeating the purpose of wearing those type garments.
    You also shouldn't use fabric softener of any type on those microfiber cleaning cloths for this reason and because if you're using them to dust they need the static to attract the dirt.
    CYA

Wow, thanks for all the good info everyone! I think I'll try the dryer balls that Veruka suggested and see how that works. Lois, I think I do have some static guard. I get shocked really easily so I know I'll have to use something on some of my clothes but I don't really need it for towels and such. I'm not really big on sorting out my clothing when it comes to washing. Darks go with darks, lights with lights, and then whites get bleached. Well, that's how I try to do it most of the time. I don't like to be doing laundry all day and I especially hate folding it! And I despise ironing so just about everything we own is wash and wear. If something needs ironing it usually goes to the dry cleaners.

What does the vinegar do?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3135088;
    Wow, thanks for all the good info everyone! I think I'll try the dryer balls that Veruka suggested and see how that works. Lois, I think I do have some static guard. I get shocked really easily so I know I'll have to use something on some of my clothes but I don't really need it for towels and such. I'm not really big on sorting out my clothing when it comes to washing. Darks go with darks, lights with lights, and then whites get bleached. Well, that's how I try to do it most of the time. I don't like to be doing laundry all day and I especially hate folding it! And I despise ironing so just about everything we own is wash and wear. If something needs ironing it usually goes to the dry cleaners.

What does the vinegar do?
    You sound like me. Except I will iron occasionally, nut I even try not to buy clothes that need to be ironed.

Vinegar helps set the color so that colors don't fade. And it's great if you forget and leave a load in the washer too long. Re run it with some vinegar and it will take the smell out that has started because you forgot you put something in the wash and remembered it the next day or two.
    Vinegar will also help dissolve any of the fabric softener residue left on clothes and towels.

I routinely use both vinegar and then sometimes baking soda (not together) a nd borax in my laundry. My husband's clothes get so dirty and sweaty, that the vinegar and the borax help get the smell out. Sometimes I have to run his clothes twice through because the first time they don't get clean or get the smell out of them if I forget to use the vinegar.

+ Reply to Thread