+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: What Household Products Do You Use?

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: What Household Products Do You Use?

Everyone, thank you for all your tips! They've helped a lot... I'll let you know how it turns out!

I was the one who mentioned Skin So Soft for the stainless appliances. I've been away from here for a few days, so I'm just catching up now. I've used it and it does work great. You just have to make sure you rub in the same direction as the grain of the stainless. (That goes for any type of produce you use.)

I just saw recently that mixing 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water makes a great all purpose, natural cleaner. I used it to clean my bathroom yesterday, and it did work great.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2693181;
    I just saw recently that mixing 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water makes a great all purpose, natural cleaner. I used it to clean my bathroom yesterday, and it did work great.
    I use that to clean my floors, I love it. The vinegar-y smell only lasts a little while, and it seems to take any other odors with it. Plus, it's cheap!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2693407;
    I use that to clean my floors, I love it. The vinegar-y smell only lasts a little while, and it seems to take any other odors with it. Plus, it's cheap!
    Vinegar is great for deodorizing. If you leave laundry in the washer too long (like my daughter does) and it starts to smell, just pour in some white vinegar and run through a regular wash cycle.

I've also used it to deodorize carpets, cars, etc. You can set out little cups with vinegar in smelly places and it will help eliminate the odors.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I use only vinegar and baking soda for regular cleaning of everything, a biodegradable non-toxic oven cleaner for heavy duty cleaning, and detergent-free soap for laundry and dishes, and I find that I don't need anything else. Apart from the obvious benefits to the planet and the wallet, another really great benefit is fewer headaches and my asthma hasn't attacked in years. FYI, household cleaners have been linked to asthma, which is probably a major reason it's so much more common than it used to be.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2693462;
    I use only vinegar and baking soda for regular cleaning of everything, a biodegradable non-toxic oven cleaner for heavy duty cleaning, and detergent-free soap for laundry and dishes, and I find that I don't need anything else. Apart from the obvious benefits to the planet and the wallet, another really great benefit is fewer headaches and my asthma hasn't attacked in years. FYI, household cleaners have been linked to asthma, which is probably a major reason it's so much more common than it used to be.
    Interesting you should say this. My mother had asthma and there were certain hotels (like Holiday Inns) that we could not stay in because of the cleaners they used in the rooms. By morning, she'd be in a full blown asthma attack.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2693462;
    What about your bathroom? How do you clean the toilet bowl? I would love to get away from the cleaners I use but I'm afraid of germs and always feel cleaner when the house smells like bleach. Does the baking soda/vinegar combination wipe out nasty germs?
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2693476;
    What about your bathroom? How do you clean the toilet bowl? I would love to get away from the cleaners I use but I'm afraid of germs and always feel cleaner when the house smells like bleach. Does the baking soda/vinegar combination wipe out nasty germs?
    Rubber gloves, a scrubber dedicated to the toilet, and vinegar and baking soda do the trick. Not only have I never gotten sick from my house, as I mentioned, I feel much better since I left my parents house o'chemicals.

If the toilet is in need of a particularly thorough cleaning, I drain the bowl and pour in a bottle or two of coke and let it sit for a while. For the tub, a regular cleaning with baking soda does the trick. As I mentioned above, I do have a non-toxic heavy duty cleaner that is freakin' amazing. It's called Nature Clean Oven & Barbecue Cleaner and is comprised of citrus oil and salt. Unfortunately, I think it's a Canadian product, but there must be a US equivalent of some sort. At any rate, it doesn't cost any more than commercial chemical based cleaners and actually works better than Easy Off in the oven, plus it doesn't stink or burn holes in my skin. I use it everywhere for when I'm doing my "I really need to get this house clean" cleaning.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2693476;
    I use full-strength Clorox bleach in my toilet bowl. It kills germs, and really cleans.

I use bleach on the toilet as well. It works great, and the bathroom smells nice and disinfected!

+ Reply to Thread