+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: What Household Products Do You Use?

Re: What Household Products Do You Use?

I don't know where to post this, so here goes.

Can anyone recommend a good pot and pan set? One that doesn't cost $$. I would like to keep it under 200 if possible. I would like to get a non-stick surface..or easy cleanup. That doesn't scratch, that can handle being left on the stove by accident to cook empty for an hour or so..(not that I have ever done such a thing, ) Does such a set exsist? HELP.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm sure others have good brand names for you (I like the copper bottomed Revereware myself, and have gotten many at the local Goodwill, so that's certainly cheap--of course if you want a set to give as as a gift that won't work!), but I'd like to suggest for your pans getting a set of cast iron pans--the last time I bought some they were 3 different sizes for a total of $8! I'm sure they are more now, but they are very cheap. You have to invest a little time in "seasoning" them (basically put some vegetable oil in them and bake them in the oven for a while, but follow the directions on the pans), but then they clean up pretty much as easily as the non-stick pans. Plus, every time you make something slightly acidic, like tomato sauce, you get a nice dose of iron. Way better than a nice dose of the horrible stuff they put on non-stick pans which scientists are beginning to worry about now. Plus you don't have to use special utensils and worry about chopping up the non-stick surface.
    I pretty much use stainless steel for pots (except for a couple of aluminum ones I got from my grandmother)--if I burn something I put it in the sink with water to soak for a bit and it's fine. Even my worst ever disaster only took 24 hours...soak a few, use a "Tuffy" for 30 seconds on whatever had worked loose, soak a few more hours, scrub a bit again, and so on.
    Except maybe for ceramic stuff like Corningware (and I"m just guessing about that) I can't think of anything that might stand up to being left empty on a burner on any high degree of heat for an hour or more. I did literally melt a pan once...gobules of metal everywhere. Really fun to clean up. But maybe other readers do....

Thanks for the input PWS. I am a huge fan of iron cookware. Never have had a problem with low iron in my blood. But, I also like having the option of using something other than iron. I have a skillet and chicken fryer that I treasure. Funny how one gets attached to good cookware.

I had this skillet DH got me one year for Christmas. I don't know what it was, but it was silver and nonstick. Heavy. The handle was divided. I set it in the trash one day to drain out some oil...and forgot it. I have another skillet that says wearever on the handle but it is a dark, heavy with a rubber type handle. I'm not describing it well, but I like this one a lot too. I did leave it on the stove for 2 hours at a med. temp. empty. When I discovered it, I immediately scrubbed it and it was just fine.

Just keep the suggestions coming...hey, has anyone tried Rachel Ray's new line?

I didn't think there was such a thing as non-stick that can sit empty on a hot burner...
    I buy my cookware as needed, matching not required, and I have good luck at T.J. Maxx or HomeGoods. I got a good quality non-stick skillet there that I wore out, I loved it so much, and it was under $20. Sometimes you can get a LeCreuset roaster for under $100. I know that sounds like a lot, but it's my favorite for braising and roasting - I've definitely gotten my moneys worth from it. I'm pretty sure they sell cookware sets there, too, but I've never priced them.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I have a set of QVC Technique Hard Anodized II Nonstick 10-pc. Cookware Set and I love it. Heavy, nonstick, easy clean-up. I've been in th restaurant business for over 30 years and I am used to using heavy duty cookware. This stuff is great!
    QVC - Official Site
    Click on the Cooking & Dining section.
    Item Number K5852
    Technique Hard Anodized II Nonstick 10-pc. Cookware Set

Retail Value $239.00
    QVC Price $164.00
    Introductory Price $149.16
    Shipping and Handling $12.47
    Save! Buy two or more and save on S & H.
    Click here for S & H details.
    Overall Rating 5 out of 5
    24 of 24 (100%) customers said they would recommend this product to a friend.
    Read all reviews Write a review

Stock your kitchen with professional cookware. Whether you're fixing old family favorites or creating haute cuisine, this Technique(R) 10-piece cookware set offers durable and affordable restaurant-quality equipment.

The modern tulip silhouette adds style to the collection's sturdy hard anodized aluminum construction, which is twice as hard as stainless steel. The interiors are lined with DuPont(TM) ScratchGuard(R) nonstick coating, making the set metal utensil-safe and guaranteeing easy food release. Each skillet features a small lip to help keep all your ingredients inside.

Brushed stainless steel adds a dash of delicious detail to the domed lids. The matching rounded handles are riveted in place and designed to stay cool during stovetop use. Oven safe to 500F. Hand wash.

NSF certified. Lifetime LMW.

Gray.

Made in Thailand.

* 1-qt saucepan with lid
    * 2-qt saucepan with lid
    * 6-qt stockpot with lid
    * 4-qt chicken fryer with lid
    * 8" skillet
    * 10" skillet
    Last edited by Unklescott; 04-29-2007 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks Unklescott. I will go check that out ASAP. Sounds just like what I need. The food service pans and baking items are amazing, and last for a lifetime. I have a few I inherited from my Mother and they perform well but I priced them in a restaurant supply house and the cost is very high. I get so jealous watching Top Chef.

You convinced me to order them, Unk. I'm easy.

Re: Steam Cleaners

Quote Originally Posted by catmom3;2306376;
    Has any one had any experience with the hand held steam cleaners. You know the ones, eg: scunci, euro pro shark.

I have been thinking about getting one but do they really work like the infomercials say?
    I have a small Conair and the large Steam Blaster - I wrote a review of them here:

FORTers' consumer reports
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

I have those pots and pans, Unk, and I love them. I've had them for about 5 years now and they still look brand new. They are so easy to clean, too! Which is always a good thing!

I would love that set if it came in stainless steel, I don't care for the hard anodized aluminum. It's not dishwasher friendly

+ Reply to Thread