+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information on the Mammoth Cave area, please.

Information on the Mammoth Cave area, please.

My family will be visiting the Mammoth Cave area for several days in August. We have reservations for our lodging already, but I would appreciate any information on things that are must sees. I have never been to this area or to any other large cave.

We of course want to do at least one cave tour. Here is the link to the options: http://www.nps.gov/maca/Tours.html

The site advises making reservations for tours as they fill up, so we need to decide before we go.

We are a middle age couple with two kids, ages 12 and 15. The 15 year old has exercised induced asthma, but rarely has any problems since we changed her meds a couple of years ago.

What else should we see in the area, besides the caves?

Veejer, I haven't been to Mammoth Cave since I was 12, but I remember it being really cool. (I mean that figuratively AND literally -- take a jacket, it gets chilly in there. )

I think the Lantern tour looks neat. Sorry, but I don't remember the name of whatever tour we took, or what specific things we saw in there, except that I do remember the part they call "Fat Man's Misery" because it was this narrow, narrow little passage, after you'd been in huge caverns for a while.

I'm sure other people can tell you better what's around there to do. But I remember that on the same trip, we went to a Shaker village. (Maybe in Elizabethton? Don't know how far that is.) It was a village restored and set up the way the Shakers had lived in (I think) the 19th century.

It's at: http://www.shakervillageky.org/
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Come see the 'Ville

I would recommend visiting Louisville. It is only about 70 minutes north on I-65. We are home to world-famous Churchhill Downs (recently restored with top notch betting terminals, food court, etc), the Louisville Slugger Bat Museum, 4th Street Live (a big downtown bar/restaurant complex), and lots more.

Mammouth Cave itself is sort of smack in the middle of our Commonwealth, the boondocks, if you will. However, there are some attractions close to the Cave. Diamond Caverns is actually pretty nice, and in my opinion, is prettier than Mammouth Cave - more stalagmite and tites and such. Also, Kentucky Down Under is supposed to be entertaining for kids, although yours may be a little old for that. There are numerous campgrounds with trailers and such for rent. Not 4 star or anything, but my wife and I went with family two years ago and enjoyed it. Also, Bowling Green, only about 20 minutes away, is home to the National Corvette Museum. Hope this helps. And as the PP said, bring a jacket. The caves stay at about 55 degrees year round.

veejer, go to www.dinoworld.net/kentucky.htm and you will find several links to the area. Also check out wigwamvillage.com. I just got a packet of information from I think cavecity.com but my son has it. It has about five or six caves in it, plus other interesting stuff.
    Nashville is also a couple of hours away if you all haven't been there. There are lots of attractions there. I also recommend the Shaker Village and Corvette things.

My husband and I went a few years ago, and you definately need a reservation. We didnt and did not want to stand in line forever, so there is one you can just walk in, which is what we did, but there was not much to it. We also did the Shaker village, very neat and Diamond Caverns, also very neat.

I was on the Wild Caves tour when I was just a kid. I see that you have to be 16 now. That must be recent, because I know I was only about 12. Anyway, it was REALLY, REALLY cool. We had to crawl through little crawlspaces and up ladders. There was even a restaurant about half-way through.

So, it was really fun. For the first three hours, anyway. Then you just want out of the daggone cave. I remember that we thought it was almost over and they sat us down in a small ampitheather area with a boulder in the center. The ranger said, "Okay, everyone on the left side of the rock, I have good news. You're now past the halfway point." I wasn't even on the left side of the rock! SO, I recommend one of the shorter ones.

I'm thrilled you're coming to my beloved state, veejer. The opposite end from me, but still.

ETA: I just read your post, Lucy. I have no doubt we were there at the same time.
    Last edited by Stargazer; 06-10-2005 at 09:04 PM.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    You might try the Discovery Tour and Frozen Niagara Tour
    Here are some other activities in the area.
    Enjoy your trip! http://www.mammothcave.com/

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by esmattynd
    I would recommend visiting Louisville. It is only about 70 minutes north on I-65. We are home to world-famous Churchhill Downs (recently restored with top notch betting terminals, food court, etc), the Louisville Slugger Bat Museum, 4th Street Live (a big downtown bar/restaurant complex), and lots more.

Mammouth Cave itself is sort of smack in the middle of our Commonwealth, the boondocks, if you will. However, there are some attractions close to the Cave. Diamond Caverns is actually pretty nice, and in my opinion, is prettier than Mammouth Cave - more stalagmite and tites and such. Also, Kentucky Down Under is supposed to be entertaining for kids, although yours may be a little old for that. There are numerous campgrounds with trailers and such for rent. Not 4 star or anything, but my wife and I went with family two years ago and enjoyed it. Also, Bowling Green, only about 20 minutes away, is home to the National Corvette Museum. Hope this helps. And as the PP said, bring a jacket. The caves stay at about 55 degrees year round.

I have been to the Frazier Historical Arms Museum in Louisville - it is the US branch of the Tower Of London and Royal Arms Museusm.

http://www.frazierarmsmuseum.org/

I'm thinking of going to Mammoth care area also this summer or early fall. It looks like fun.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    ETA: I just read your post, Lucy. I have no doubt we were there at the same time.
    Oh god, I WAS 12 too when we went.

Veejer, I just wanted to add, I'd suggest you do take one of the guided tours. I don't remember which one we went on, but I remember the ranger was a wealth of information. It's easy to miss stuff on self-guided tours.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast