+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Geocaching, anyone?

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    Hey bbnbama I'm in b'ham. If I can help let me know. You might want to check out Alacache.com. Its the Alabama Geocachers website.
    Thanks CantGetNuf...I'll give that one a try too......
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I'm amazed that you've gotten so into this, CantGetNuf! That's pretty cool. My GPS unit is getting dusty, I haven't done anything with geocaching in quite a while. Of course, in Chicago, they're all urban caches, and I'm not sure I'd be good at finding them if they have to hide them well enough that everyday people don't find them.
    John, try some of the parks and forest preserves. That's where I've gotten the best caches in the Chicago area.

I could not wait until this weekend. The hubby and I found two more caches yesterday afternoon. I have 3 finds now! These two were harder than the first. They were more off the beaten path. My husband is pretty good at this though. The first one we found yesterday, he noticed that one tree in the grove of trees we were looking in, was different than all the others. Sure enough, it was hidden by that tree. He's hooked now. My good friend, and her husband went out to by a gps yesterday evening. They are going to come with us this weekend. I dropped a Black Hills Gold ring in the first one we found yesterday. I hope someone is happy to find it. You may wonder why, but if I told you the story of the ring, you would wonder why i still had it. Hopefully it will be filled with good memories from now on for someone, and i feel released. Thank you again John, for the new, fun hobby!! And if any of you treasure hunters are heading to northern Wisconsin, check out Copper Falls State Park for camping. It is so beautiful there, and plenty of caches to find.

OK, so my GPS came yesterday, and I learned how to use it. Then I came in and ordered some inexpensive mardi gras beads to drop in the caches I find. There are a number in downtown Boston, so I'm off with my neighbors this weekend to seek and find!
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

That is so awesome you guys!

So did anyone get to geocache this weekend? I haven't because I'm broke and gas prices are so high. I've found almost all of them around me. There is a new one not to far away so I might try to find it today.

No, the weather by us has been terrible all weekend, and today looks worse. Cold, windy, and rainy. Quite the bummer!!
    However, my husband has only gone with me on two hunts, and he is definitely hooked. He sent the link for Cooperate team building through geocaching to the head of personal of his company. He loved the idea!! They are now going to set up a geocaching event for all employees who come to the company picnic this summer. And they are going to do the Cooperate team building for all management teams throughout the company to try to improve communications of all the departments. And to try to get some of the "oldies but goodies" to learn not to be afraid of all the new technology the company is adapting to.
    Hopefully i can get out there again soon!!

My daughter's sick, so we've been stuck at home. I was wondering what you do when all your local ones are found, CGE. You've placed a few yourself - do you have a lot of geocachers in your area? One thing that's nice about the Bay Area is that there seems to be people actively placing new ones a lot. About 2 or 3 a month within about 10 miles from me.

I've got so many to work on, though. We have some planned for this afternoon if my daughter feels rested. For most of them, we can drive to the spot and there's just a little bit of walking.

I think that's great that your husband's company is going to do a geocaching event, Julitta. What a cool idea!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I so want to do this. I remember doing orienteering in Girl Guides and loved it. So following directions and actually finding a surprise would just be twice as much fun! And good exercise.

Does it have to be done out in parks or can it be played in a city? I'll have to google and see, but with 5-7 months of snow and frost, it may be more difficult up here. Or maybe more fun!

The only concern I have is for safety if I go alone to some ravine or something by myself. I saw an episdoe of CSI, I think, where the game was used to lure women. OK. SO I'm a bit paranoid. I just seem to have a knack sometimes of attracting the Wrong kind of person, if you know what I mean.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

in my rocking chair, on my porch of bitterness
    There are plenty of urban and suburban caches. We've found a lot in little mini parks and plazas and places like that, little bits of greenery in the middle of cities. Part of the fun of cacheing is that you find these spots that you might have gone past for years without noticing.

+ Reply to Thread