+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Geocaching, anyone?

in my rocking chair, on my porch of bitterness
    Way back at the start of this thread there was some discussion about what model GPS to get. We're using a Lowrance iFinder Go and it's pretty good for the price ($70-$80). It has some built-in maps, not terribly detailed but ok for navigating to the general area.

We had to get it online--we looked in a bunch of stores, and for that price, you really couldn't get anything with built-in maps. GPS's that looked kind of equivalent were usually in the $130-150 range.

Note that all this is from about a year ago, so things could have changed.

I can't really talk authoritatively about the accuracy because I've never used any other GPS, but judging by the comments people make in geocaching forums, I think we're probably getting about as good accuracy as anyone else.

My only complaint would be that the user interface wasn't completely intuitive, but we're pretty used to it by now.

Of course I can't figure out TV remotes either, so take that with a grain of salt.

I started using the basic Garmin Etrex. Since then I have upgraded to the Etrex Legend. The legend has maps but I don't know how to use them.:eyeroll I think the yellow etrex had better accuracy and also kept a signal better then the legend.
    Sounds like you got a good price on your iFinder.

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    I started using the basic Garmin Etrex. Since then I have upgraded to the Etrex Legend. The legend has maps but I don't know how to use them.:eyeroll I think the yellow etrex had better accuracy and also kept a signal better then the legend.
    Sounds like you got a good price on your iFinder.
    Unless you use an external antenna or have WAAS capability, the hand-helds all have about the same accuracy. I use a hand-held at work to aid in finding buried wells whose positions are well known. I find that the hand-held GPS (I happen to have a WAAS-enabled I-Finder) usually gets me within 5 feet, but even when it is being obstinate, I will be within 10-12 feet. Stated accuracy is 15 meters (roughly 45 feet) so I am well-pleased with its performance.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I just got home from finding my first cache. It was in a small town near me, in a park. I didn't have to be too cloak and dagger because I was the only one there, but I did anyway because it was fun. It was right next to a stream in a little hole in the trunk of a tree. I got bird ox all over me, but it was worth it. I think I'm hooked already. It said it was a log only cache, but inside i found a little beaded bracelet. I didn't bring anything, so i put my world globe key chain inside. Thank you John!

Julitta! Your first cache and you just found out about it today!

It's addicting! I think we (my husband, daughter & I) stopped last fall because we all got a horrible strain of flu that knocked us off our feet for two months. We've slowly gotten back into it. It's a blast!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Hehe, I know. I couldn't wait to get at it. I love to be outside, discover new places, and like you said, who doesn't love treasure hunting!! My husband and I are going to find more this weekend. If I can wait that long.

Way to go Julitta! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Ok...I read this thread this morning and then I'm reading the new posts now and I wanna do this too.....this might be something that might "bond" me and my son and its something I haven't heard of any of his buddies doing....I think me and him may give this a try this weekend!

Who knew the FORT was "all knowing" on so much stuff? Who needs an encyclopedia when you have John and all our fellow FORTers?!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Hey bbnbama I'm in b'ham. If I can help let me know. You might want to check out Alacache.com. Its the Alabama Geocachers website.

I'm amazed that you've gotten so into this, CantGetNuf! That's pretty cool. My GPS unit is getting dusty, I haven't done anything with geocaching in quite a while. Of course, in Chicago, they're all urban caches, and I'm not sure I'd be good at finding them if they have to hide them well enough that everyday people don't find them.

+ Reply to Thread