+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Geocaching, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf
    I'm difinatly going to set up my own cache. I've already got two ready. One regular and one micro. But I'm not sure if my regular container is going to be waterproof. The lid isn't closing as well as it did before I cammo taped it. I know exactly where I'm going to hide them. I've got some Alabama Geocoins ordered so I might wait til I get those before I hide my regular sized one. That way I can put one of my coins in it.
    Hepcat what is the name of your travel bug? I'll keep my eyes open to see if it comes my way. My kids want to do a travel bug. Everything they see is a possible TB.
    Meg1 thanks for the advice. So far I haven't veered to much off the beaten path. But I'll keep your advice in mind if I do.

"Home on the Range." It's a travel bug that wants to be near shooting ranges. Naturally, it's a rifle shell.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I hid 3 caches this weekend. Bit my fingernails all night waiting for them to be approved. Checked at 5:30 this morning before work and they'd been approved. All day I was anxious to find out if anyone found them, and if so, who. I've been home for 2 hours now and still no one has logged a find. Its absolutely killing me.

So is anyone else still geocaching? I am totally addicted. I have 169 finds, hidden 4, have met many other geocachers, made many new friends, and attending my 3rd event this weekend.
    My sincere thanks John for introducing me to this wonderful game!

Hey, cantgetnuf, I've been getting back into geocaching recently. I'm nowhere near your number of finds - I think I'm at 30. All the ones we've found have been urban ones, though. We went hiking on Saturday, and afterwards had a big DUH moment because we forgot to see if there were geocaches in vicinity beforehand...sure enough, we'd even stopped to rest right near one of them.

I also want to thank John for introducing me to geocaching. It's great fun!

How did I never hear of this?? It sounds like so much fun. I can't wait to get started. i am going to hide my own cache. A few summers ago, my friend and i found a really creepy abandoned summer camp in the middle of the national forest i live in. i have it saved on my gps. It's in the middle of nowhere, and their are not any roads leading to it anymore. You really have to hike to find it. I'm thinking of hiding it there. That would be two groovy finds. The place looks like it should be in the movie Friday the 13. I just wonder if anyone would find it. What do you think?

I'm so glad to see you're still geocaching. I am totally addicted. I'm up to 246 finds now. I don't get to go as often as I want. But I'm looking forward to summer when I'll have more time. To bad gas prices are going up so much.
    I've attended 4 events and met tons of great people. I've also joined the local geocaching group at Alacache.com.
    Most of mine are urban caches too. I laughed at you doing the hike and then checking for caches. In my case I wouldn't have gone on the hike if the cache hadn't been there.
    I still think its funny that I got into geocaching through this site. When asked how you got started in geocaching most people say they found it when they were looking for information on their new GPS or doing some other outdoor sport. And my answer, "Well I was on a website about reality tv..."

Unfortuately Julitta you are not allowed to hide caches in National Forests. You better check with your local reviewer before you hide it. If he says its ok then it sounds like a great hiding spot. Good luck.

oh shoot. i'll have to check. that part of the forest is all government owned. i just found out that some are hidden at copper falls state park. we go there and climb the rocks, or picinic at devils gate often. i know what i'm doing next time i go!!
    Last edited by julitta; 04-24-2006 at 10:07 AM.

Julitta, it's a great hobby because who doesn't want to hunt treasure? Also, there's a cloak-and-dagger aspect to it because you don't want random people to see you finding a box of treasure and plundering it after you leave. My daughter totally gets into that, and invents a cover story for us. Last week we were looking for her sock. (She's 5.)

Another one we did recently was in a park, and when we got there we found about 45 kids and 20 adults on the playground. I had written it off because there was no way we could hunt without attracting attention, but she said we could just play hide and seek. So I narrowed in the area with the GPS (which I pretend is a bright yellow cell phone), told her the general area to hide, and we "played" that she hid in the bushes. The cache was right where we thought it was! I still can't believe we pulled that off with so many people in the park.

Can'tgetenuf, I know what you mean about it being so funny that we found out about it here. I can't wait for summer, and we have two camping trips planned already with the caches scouted out and ready to find!

We found one a few weeks ago at a ballpark on a Saturday. There were so many people there! And the cache was hidden between the stands and the field. My daughter made the grab while I was watching and I barely saw her do it. I knew my kids were slick but I had no idea.

+ Reply to Thread