+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Geocaching, anyone?

What kind do you have Hepcat? and where did you find it? I'm borrowing my father in laws. When I turn it on it says copyright 1997. I know it hasn't been used much. He never could figure out how to work it. I can't get it to lock on my current position. Could be all the clouds. We haven't had a storm free day since we got it.

I was exagerateing my injuries. Well not the bug bites. LOL And why do they have to bite me in the most inappropriate places? I can't scratch in public.

My Boss is addicted to geocaching!

Her husband & her have placed over 200 and have found almost 400 here in Canada.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I haven't seen a "wheres george" bill in months but log them in when I do see one.

This past weekend I made my 50th find. Me and the kids did a couple of caches that had a terrain difficulty of 4. My legs have finally quit aching today.
    I am so hooked on geocaching. Before I can go anywhere I have to check to see if there are caches in that area. Paying a bill used to take a few minutes. Now it takes a few hours. I finally got a GPS (yellow Etrex) so finding them has become a whole lot easier. The trouble is finding the time to go hunt them.
    I'm glad all the great reality shows have started this week. I need something to distract me from this new obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by DoeBoy
    I assume you need a GPS system for this activity right? It sounds like so much fun!
    Not necessarily--how good are you with a sextant and spherical trigonometry?
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf
    This past weekend I made my 50th find. Me and the kids did a couple of caches that had a terrain difficulty of 4. My legs have finally quit aching today.
    I am so hooked on geocaching. Before I can go anywhere I have to check to see if there are caches in that area. Paying a bill used to take a few minutes. Now it takes a few hours. I finally got a GPS (yellow Etrex) so finding them has become a whole lot easier. The trouble is finding the time to go hunt them.
    I'm glad all the great reality shows have started this week. I need something to distract me from this new obsession.

Congrats on your 50th find! We had fun this summer, but we've dropped off since school started last month. I got to do a travel bug, that was kind of fun.

Do you think you'll set up your own cache, can'tgetnuf?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I love geocaching!

We started about a year ago when I got my partner a nice GPS for Xmas (it was a totally selfish gift though...one of those where the minute he opened it I was practically ripping it out of his hands, and then stood outside freezing my butt off waiting for it to pick up satellites.)

There are tons of caches in up here in WI...there's even a fun group of cachers that do series--this summer there was a monopoly themed one where they got harder and harder as you advanced from batic to bordwalk, and also one that focused on bringing people to cool parks/spots they may not have seen around town before.

One warning to newbies: (if you're caching in a wooded area) our rookie mistake was to frequently tromp off into the woods heading toward cache without paying much attention to where we left the trail...then it would get a little scary, because we'd be wandering around having no idea where either the trail or the cache was, and if we didn't find the cache we didn't know how to get back to civilization (ususally the people who hide it are kind enough to write in the box "head west to find trail" or somesuch). Not really huge drama, because in a state park it's not so large that you won't eventually wander out, but still, probably not a bad idea to waypoint the trail/car before you wander.

I'm difinatly going to set up my own cache. I've already got two ready. One regular and one micro. But I'm not sure if my regular container is going to be waterproof. The lid isn't closing as well as it did before I cammo taped it. I know exactly where I'm going to hide them. I've got some Alabama Geocoins ordered so I might wait til I get those before I hide my regular sized one. That way I can put one of my coins in it.
    Hepcat what is the name of your travel bug? I'll keep my eyes open to see if it comes my way. My kids want to do a travel bug. Everything they see is a possible TB.
    Meg1 thanks for the advice. So far I haven't veered to much off the beaten path. But I'll keep your advice in mind if I do.

What the hell is a travelbug?? Or a Geobug?
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

A travelbug is an item that you put a dog tag with a tracking number on. Then you put it in a cache and people move them from cache to cache. Some travel bugs have a theme. Like I have a bowling ball travel bug that I picked up that the owner wants it to visit bowling alleys. And another one is a little figure of the sliming ghost in Ghostbusters. They want the people who pick it up to take a picture of it at a haunted place. Others don't have a theme. The owners just want to see how far it can travel.

+ Reply to Thread