+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Geocaching, anyone?

No, but my "phatPS" works pretty well for that

Quote Originally Posted by John
    No, but my "phatPS" works pretty well for that
    Thanks, John, but if we run the Amazing (Fort? Mini?) Race in Las Vegas, it's every team for themselves.

As a matter of fact, I've been considering a GPS add-on for years, precisely for that Palm of mine that came in so handy in Chicago last year.

"Used" on Amazon.com still shows a price of $125.00, but maybe I'll treat myself. Payday is right around the corner.

It's funny you're involved in this, as I'm involved in Where's George?, which I'd been meaning to post about for some time.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    It's funny you're involved in this, as I'm involved in Where's George?, which I'd been meaning to post about for some time.
    I see those bills all the time phat. I've thought about doing that since I handle so much money at the restaurant.

my friend and his son have been geocaching for a couple of years now and love it. i've never done it and it doesn't appeal to me, but i bet SC and his daughter would love this. and like john said, it's a gadget... wouldn't be difficult to get sc to buy a new gadget.

Thanks for introducing geocaching to the Hepcat family, John! We took our time getting our hands on a good GPS but finally found what we wanted. We had a great time yesterday on our first hunt, finding two in unique and interesting places near us that we had never bothered to visit. The kicker was that our daughter spotted the first one - now she's hooked on treasure hunting like you wouldn't believe. She knows her compass directions and how to read a compass now.

It's funny to log in and see that practically every park we play in has a geocache. They're all around us!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey
    I assume you need a GPS system for this activity right? It sounds like so much fun!

We found our first one Tuesday. We were so excited. Living in Nowhere Alabama all of them around us are hid out in the woods. Lots of bushwacking goin on. I was worried I'd gotten poison oak but its just bug bites.
    My GPS isn't working. It would probably do good if I was lost in a field in Kansas.
    Tried again yesterday. This time it was in the woods and up a mountain. Didn't find it and ended up sliding down the mountain backwards and landed sideways. John since you got me hooked on this I'm sending you the doctor bill.

At least you're having fun. Some minor injuries are tolerable, right? It's the fun of the hunt.

I've got 2 geobug items in my car, being moved from Michigan to Chicago, that I have to place yet. They're starting to get anxious.

I am having fun despite the bandages and calmine lotion. I just wish my GPS worked better. The ones I have found where because I knew the area and looked at the clues.
    I wouldn't dare take a travel bug yet. Theres no garuntee I will ever find another cache to put it in. And these people seem to take it VERY serious.

Phat I used to do the Wheres George but hubby made me stop. Said I was getting viruses from it. I take it you've never had that problem?

I have a travel bug in my car, too. I took it and later realized the theme would be difficult. I have to find a cache near a gun range! (This is CA, not Michigan, mind you!)

Last weekend we went to a large, natural-style park around here that had 5 or 6 in various areas. It was a great time! One of them was kid-themed, and had really great toys in it that someone stocks once a month. Another was a very clever hide off the side of an observation deck.

We ended up spending less than I expected, around $100, but so far we have no complaints about the GPS. It has sent us within 5' every time, even though I think it only claims to be accurate within something like 20'.

Can'tgetenuf, that sounds pretty painful! Time to head for a city to do an urban cache for a change.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread