+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Geocaching, anyone?

Thanks, John. I ordered that model of GPS unit (through the Fort link to amazon.com) and it's on its way! It was $133.91, by the way, with free shipping.

This was on "Criminal Intent" a couple of months ago! It looks like a lot of fun.

Curse you, Manny! I pulled it up on Amazon and they want to charge me 4 bucks more. I've been ordering books lately. Blasted marketing!

We went to Fry's on the weekend and were overwhelmed by choices. The smallest were brand "Gecko" and frankly, didn't look worth the 85 bucks. The garmin website has some intriguing ones, and some of them include geocaching-specific software.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I was shocked to find a a few within 15 miles of me. (as I currently live in the middle of nowhere.)

One of them is named "Salamander" and MAN they're not kidding...I've been there (it's an old tunnel, supposively haunted by something or other. It's plain freaky, I wouldn't go there, "geocaching" or not. *shudders* Oh, it wasn't the haunting thing that bothered me, it was the darn salamanders. ughhh.

This sounds like a really interesting and fun pastime, though! I might like to try it sometime..I know my little girl would like it.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Woohoo! I found my first cache yesterday. It was so much fun! The entire family went and we took pictures and had a great time. We looked for another today but did not find. I guess we are doing pretty good for not having a GPS unit. I think that will be my next purchase for myself. You can bet we will have a summer filled with searches. We already bought trinkets to trade when we are successfull. There are pages and pages of caches within 5 miles of me. fun,fun!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

That's awesome, Feif! We've found 2 so far. It was a lot of fun. One of them was in a large county park, that was bordered by a big fence and private property lines. GPS put the location of the cache 30 feet on the other side of the fence, and I wandered back and forth for about a half hour before finally seeing a stump that looked like a likely hiding spot.

From what I understand some searches can be a great challenge even when you have a GPS unit. Today we looked around my old junior high school for about an hour and a half but it got too hot and the kids were tuckered out. Tomorrow we are going to our family cemetary where there are at least two caches waiting to be found. Most of the easier caches in the area are just logs in pill boxes and that is not so much fun for the kids. They want trinkets and those are in the harder ones in the area where I certainly need a GPS. I bet I can squeeze it into the budget in the next month. i can not wait to find something to get the kids hooked. It will be a great way to get some exercise in and challenge the kids imaginations. We are loking forward to planting a few caches too, but need a unit so others can find them. I think I will plant a few on our property just for the kids to find while we are waiting to purchase our GPS.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

That sounds so fun! I love treasure hunting, not that I've ever done it...

I'd heard about this a few years ago and always thought it sounded fun. I haven't got a GPS unit, though.
    But for those of you who are getting into it, if you didn't see it, off the site John linked is a chat forum. Seems to have info on GPS units, etc.
    http://forums.groundspeak.com/gc/

ETA: There's a section in there where people are selling used GPS units.
    Last edited by Lucy; 06-13-2005 at 08:50 PM.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I heard about it from someone at work a couple of years ago - for the life of me I can't remember who. I tried talking my retired husband with a GPS into playing along, but I've figured out that you can't talk people into new hobbies. Ah, well, maybe some day.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

+ Reply to Thread