+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Geocaching, anyone?

Hmm, around my neck of the woods people aren't allowed to bury a geocache. We only do hides, not buried objects. But maybe that's not universal, I don't know. There are a lot of treasure searches out there, though. We used to do t-hunts with ham radio clubs, where you triangulate a signal to locate a transmitter. There's also letterboxing and probably local stuff that goes on all the time. Did you see people go to that same spot, Desert Rose, or was it just this one guy? It makes you wonder.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

He was probably buring his dog. LOL It is a "world wide" rule about not burying anything or hiding your cache in a way that will harm the habitat. But if this was 5 years ago the game was new and that rule might not have been in effect.

My event went GREAT! Had about 60. I think we had more at one time but the logbook shows around 60 having signed it. I couldn't have ordered better weather. It was perfect for spending the day at the park hiking in the woods hunting caches.

We did a poker run. We put playing cards in envelopes in 7 different caches and hid those around the area. Everyone was to take one envelope out of each cache so they'd have 7 playing cards. We had lots of prizes and the highest hand got first choice and so on. Well one group totally cheated and had 7 of a kind. LOL it was hilarious.
    Then we hid 6 fully stocked ammo can caches and handed the coords out near the end of the event. The FTF got to keep the cache.
    We had tons of food. It was a potluck meal and I grilled the hamburgers and hot dogs.
    I had a blast! and I think everyone else did too.

Re: Geocaching, anyone?

I know its been more then a year since I last revived this thread but I was thinking people who got new GPS's for Christmas might be interested in checking out geocaching. We also might have gotten new members who are also geocachers who don't know about this thread. Ok sorry I bumped a dead thread.

I *knew* we had a thread about this somewhere. Last Christmas, I got my husband a Garmin Etrex Vista to try out geocaching because we'd both wanted to try it for many years. Unfortunately, we had an insanely busy year and promptly forgot all about it.
    Yesterday he surprised me by learning how to use it and asking if I wanted to go out looking for our first cache. We went out and found it in a local park and instantly became addicted. We've ran around finding six of them in two days. Anyway, I was hoping to revive the thread and hear if anyone else has been geocaching lately.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I see you're up to your old tricks Star, dusting off old threads and bumping them up.

I know, I know. I'm trying to ferret out some more experienced geocachers so we can get some pointers.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Bless you Stargazer. I've been waiting two years for someone besides me to bump up this thread. I wouldn't consider myself an expert but I'm pretty darned experienced.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

I don't geocache, probably never will, but I do understand the allure. I consider my hand-held GPS to be the best $200 that I've spent for my company. I suppose the way that I use it isn't too different from geocaching--I am generally trying to get close to a point that I've previously visited, be it a survey control point or a buried well.

One does need to be careful about datums. Default is almost always WGS84, but I had a client who sent me a list of obscure points (drill locations in tall grass, marked only by small flags) in NAD27. Without going into the particulars of the datums, suffice to say that I was stomping around, up to my armpits in prairie grass, 100' too far east. Once I accidentally stumbled across one, I realized what he had done, cursed him mightily, and finished the project.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;3224397;
    Bless you Stargazer. I've been waiting two years for someone besides me to bump up this thread. I wouldn't consider myself an expert but I'm pretty darned experienced.

We're not experienced at all, so I'm sure you'll seem like a guru to us. We took the kids out again last night and were using a flashlight to push through the weeds until we found an old tire that it was stuffed inside. The kids think that its a hoot, that all these things are hidden all over town.

Anyway, I'll start with two questions. First, I've found a few geocaching "glossaries" that explain some of the terms, but none of them seem very complete. We're still seeing things we don't understand. Do you have a site to recommend that has a more complete glossary of geocaching terms?

Second, whats a travel bug and would we know one if we saw it?

You will recognize a travel bug because it will have what looks like a dog tag attached to it. People will usually put their travel bug in a zip lock bag with a note stateing that it is a travel bug and what the travel bugs mission is. A travel bug is supposed to travel from cache to cache. Some just travel randomly and some have an actual mission. Say for instance someone might have a toy giraffe whose mission is to travel to zoo's across the country. You can still move a travel bug even if you can't help it with its mission. Just don't keep a travel bug. If you take a travel bug out of a cache you use the number that is on the dog tag to log the travel bug. You log travel bugs seperately from logging the cache. A travel bug has its own cache page.

If you do a search on the geocaching website there are a lot of threads that explain the geocaching terms and acronyms. If there is a certian term you still can't find let me know and I might know what it means.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

+ Reply to Thread