+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Geocaching, anyone?

in my rocking chair, on my porch of bitterness
    For anyone who wants to try using their cell phone as a GPS, I found this page of "samsung hacks":

http://www.igophoto.net/posts/16911,25.html

It has lots of interesting codes--including one that's supposed to let you access your phone's GPS capabilities.

But I do actually have the model phone they're talking about, and I got to the secret GPS menu, but couldn't get any results. But maybe with a slightly different model, or a different carrier (I'm on Verizon) or plan, or in different regions, it might actually work.

Are those hacks, um, kosher? Are you breaking any law by accessing mobile web for free, for example? Hmm.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I, too, need a gps but I entered my zipcode and I hit the motherload! There's like 10 of them between 1/2 mile and 5 miles of where I live!
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

When you use your zip code to do a search it uses the post office as ground zero. So those caches are actually 1/2-5 miles from your local post office.

Theres a guy here who uses his cell phones gps to find caches. I don't know how he's doing it. I was just impressed when I met him and realised he'd been using a cell phone gps since he started about 6 months ago.

That's the thing, our cellphones have the capability built in! Or at least, recent models do.

We had two DNF's on Sunday. We seem to run into problems if we just jot down the coordinates on a pad of paper instead of printing out the details, logs, etc. I feel like I should be able to do it without spoilers now, but it's still not simple to me. There's one near my house that I've been to 3 times and haven't found it - but people keep posting that it was an easy find.

Do you have any advice, CGN?

Do you know what the standard "easy" cache is in your area? Down here it's lampskirt micros. If all the logs are saying "Easy thanks." Or "TFTC" then I know its probably a lampskirt micro. But the first time I ever found one in a lampskirt I thought the person who hid it must be a genius.
    Sometimes the hardest to find are the ones hidden right in front of you.

Interesting...that does give me some food for thought.

This is the cache I'm talking about, by the way:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...3-8ffae6bd9899

Looks like a lot of people are having trouble with the coords on that one. Expand your search and use the "where would I hide it" method.
    I have a hard time putting the GPS away and actually looking at the area. If my GPS is saying 10 ft I expect it to be in 10ft.

I didn't get to go out this weekend, as the weather has not been too kind. BUT, my Mardi Gras beads and little tiny rubber ducks did come today, so at least I have my trinkets all set .
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

I want to follow behind you and snag a little ducky, MissThing!

+ Reply to Thread