+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What was your favorite gift?

Aside from the cash my mom always gets me it would have to be the cordless drill/screwdriver and a whole boatload of bits. Like a kid at Christmas, I tells ya.

Spending the day with my family.

Last edited by Unklescott; 12-25-2005 at 06:43 PM.

Nice looking bunch there unklescott.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

My favorite perfume, Calyx, which my sons bought me with money that they saved up- my first real present from them bought with their own money!!
    Go Tigers!

FORT Fogey
    Mine was the fortunate gift of good timing. Boy, did I get lucky today.

The background is that my father’s been in the hospital since last Tuesday, so The Pomeranians (well, two out of three – we left the kitty at my house) and I went to my parents’ house last night and spent Christmas Eve with my mom.

The plan was that I would go back there today (Christmas) at 8:30 a.m. and then she and I would drive to another town for the big family gathering.

I had those two dogs ready to go and the plan is that they would stay at my mom’s all day while we all were at my sisters.

At the last minute I decided to leave the dogs at my house so that the cat wouldn’t be stuck there all alone today.

I got to my mom’s house at 8:45 a.m. and then she dawdled, meaning we didn’t leave on time.

Ten minutes after we should have left my mom’s house, her carbon monoxide detector started blaring. We called the fire department and they were at the house in minutes.

It turns out that my mom’s hot water heater had blown early this morning, there was natural gas leaking all through her house, and the levels of carbon monoxide were lethal.

The gift of good timing came into play because if we left her house on time we’d have never heard that alarm go off, and we’d have been away all day. The house surely would have blown up in that time.

The gift of good timing also came into play because I happened to have the lonely, part-time cat at my apartment this weekend, and I left The Pomeranians with him so that he wouldn’t be lonely all day.

If the cat wasn’t at my house I’d have left The Pomeranians at my mom’s house today, and if they hadn’t died in a natural gas explosion they’d have surely succumbed to the carbon monoxide.

Phew. The timing of things worked out just perfectly today.

Oh, Pom! That really hits home with me- a friend who I used to work with recently lost her home to a natural gas explosion 15 MINUTES after she and her two small daughters left the house unexpectedly to pick up her husband whose car had broken down. Unfortunately, she lost her beloved dog, which has been devastating, but had her husband's car not given out, she would have been there with her little girls. (I will never use gas! )

Glad to hear you and your babies are ok.
    Go Tigers!

The best gift I got today was spending most of the day with my mom, dad, brother, fantasy-future-sister-in-law, Mr. Feifer and the Feiflets. Usually my brother eats the meal and then heads out ten minutes after pie. Today he stayed all day and we actually talked a little. That was wonderful.

I also got a Longaburger basket with the cloth liner, plastic liner, woodcraft lid and novelty Christmas tree knob. Only folks who truely appreciate this or have a longaburger nut nearby will know what this is. It is my first basket of ths sort and I love it.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

These stories just go to prove a point that I am always trying to make to people: Have your furnances and water heaters checked each year by a QUALIFIED professional.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

A really gorgoeus ruby/diamond ring from my husband. Totally unexpected.
    And also spending this whole Christmas with both of my sons who are home from college.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

For Christmas I recieved an electric skillet and $20 and a $20 Walmart gift card. So far the electric skillet is in the lead.

+ Reply to Thread