+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What was your favorite gift?

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky
    I would never have thought of a baloon ride. That would make a great anniversary ot Valentine's Day gift. I hope your cousin enjoyed it.
    My former boss gave his wife a balloon ride for their anniversary. Unfortunately for them, it's hard to aim when you land those things -- evidently the operator just radios the company when they land and tells them where to come get them. Anyway, they landed in the parking lot of an apartment complex, and before the company car got there, a resident had called the police, thinking they were in trouble. What embarrassed my boss was that we worked for a newspaper -- where a police reporter was listening to the police scanner and heard the report and came running out to do a story.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    I have gotten many wonderful gifts during my lifetime, the best of course being my son.

But some other gifts have touched me more than actual "things" My great aunt gave me a picture of my grandmother holding me, when I was a wee one and looking at me so proudly, that I was genuinely touched. I hadn't seen this photo before. And it wasn't intended as a gift.

Another involves my grandma coming to my family bbq. She was suffering thru cancer at the time, and didn't get out much. But she made the effort for me, and that one selfless act showed me how much she really loved me.

So I guess my point is, find something that means something to your recipient and yourself. Maybe it is a photo--have it blown up. Sometimes going thru our pictures that haven't made it into our albums are the best gift. Or spend the time doing something that your loved one enjoys doing, but you may not like so much. That is the ultimate gift....

(Sorry for the sappy sentimentality today )

I'm sure anything you do, rt1ky will be just as well received, as it is given with love.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Definitely photos. I mentioned this in another thread, also. I have told both my girls all I want from them is a nice photo. For Christmas I MUST have the frame with the little recording chip inside. I can hear my daughter's voice across the country anytime I want - and I also get to hear Bailee (and soon McKenna) as their voices mature.

I've never heard anything as sweet to my ears as "happy birthday to you, gramma Jayne!" (Jayne is pronounced "Janie", btw) I hope to still be receiving them well into my 90s - or even my 100s.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I'm sure anything you do, rt1ky will be just as well received, as it is given with love.

Photos are a really great idea. I can't believe I've never thought about that either. There is a Kinkos nearby where I can get them enlarged.

Thanks.

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    I received the most thoughtful and considerate gift today: an 80 GB external hard drive!

I know, it doesn't sound very sweet, but there's a good story behind it. I have been dating a guy for a little while and one day a week or so ago we were talking about computers and I mentioned, just in passing, that I was considering expanding the memory in my laptop because of all the music I have on my computer and he suggested I buy an external hard drive.

Well, today is the one month anniversary of when we met and a package showed up at my desk this morning with just such a hard drive.

It just shows me that really it's not the material part of a gift that matters (although I really love it and am excited to use it) but it truly is the "thought that counts." By sending me this I realized that he really listens to me and found something unexpected and interesting to let me know he cares.

(BTW - This was my 500th post!)

Quote Originally Posted by OnMyLunchBreak
    (BTW - This was my 500th post!)
    Congratulations on your 500th, OMLB.

It's a cliche, but I usually like to give rather than receive, but often, I simply like when someone takes the time to hand-write a note to me. In this day and age with email, fax, text messages and cell phones, taking the time to sit down and write a note without the aid of technology is a thoughtful gesture.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Premium Member
    I think I've mentioned this in another thread, but when my youngest son was 9 years old he made me a card for my 40th birthday. On the front he drew a picture of a large headstone that said "R.I.P", with a vulture sitting on top of it. Inside he wrote "Happy Birthday Mom. You are 40... doesn't it suck?" I never laughed so hard in all my life, I will keep that card forever!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    I think I've mentioned this in another thread, but when my youngest son was 9 years old he made me a card for my 40th birthday. On the front he drew a picture of a large headstone that said "R.I.P", with a vulture sitting on top of it. Inside he wrote "Happy Birthday Mom. You are 40... doesn't it suck?" I never laughed so hard in all my life, I will keep that card forever!
    OMG too funny MB!

My favorite was a gift I gave. In 2003 my mom was 75 - we had a huge party for her and asked all the guests to bring pictures of their families.

I complied the pictures into a scrapbook (and I'm a very meticulous scrapper) and gave it to her for Christmas that year. It was the most special gift I ever gave because she cried and cried knowing how much effort it took.

Best gift I ever received was my daughter, 4 days before Christmas and 4 weeks before my 30th birthday

One of the best gifts I received:

We had 3 young children at the time. My hubby arranged a sitter...for the WHOLE day, and it was someone I trusted...lol. We drove to Stratford, Ontario and he had packed a beautiful picnic lunch with lobster, white wine...the works. We watched "Taming of the Shrew" (it was a coincidence...okay?) and had a wonderful day together.

I was really touched by the effort he put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by OnMyLunchBreak
    I received the most thoughtful and considerate gift today: an 80 GB external hard drive!

I know, it doesn't sound very sweet, but there's a good story behind it. I have been dating a guy for a little while and one day a week or so ago we were talking about computers and I mentioned, just in passing, that I was considering expanding the memory in my laptop because of all the music I have on my computer and he suggested I buy an external hard drive.

Well, today is the one month anniversary of when we met and a package showed up at my desk this morning with just such a hard drive.
    That IS sweet, and very generous for a one month anniversary. Keep him around- he sounds thoughtful.

+ Reply to Thread