+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Weird Things You See in Big Cities

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar

Weird Things You See in Big Cities

I work in Downtown Denver. I was just outside enjoying a smoke when a guy came around the corner in a wheelchair. Not funny. However, he was pushing himself along using BOTH of his legs. Okay, still not funny, but it tickled my warped sense of humor.

I got to thinking, I see weird stuff like this EVERY day and I'm sure those of you who exist in big city environments see interesting wildlife as well. Care to share?

Some of my other favorite "specimens..."

The lady who practically wears clown makeup, has hair like early Madonna and a huge silver hoop earring through her nose.

The little person, his name is Tim. I know that because he rides a tricycle with a big trailer and has about 30 of those novelty name license plates on it. Whenever I see him he tips his hat and says "hello ma'am."

The guy who looks like a mountain man (huge bushy beard) that walks down the 16th Street Mall yelling at the top of his lungs random things such as "HELLO 15TH FLOOR, I LOVE YOU" or "IT'S OKAY TO BE A CORPORATE SLAVE, I DON'T HATE YOU." Usually this happens accompanied by his guitar or a Bible being brandished with broad gestures.

The guy who holds a big brown sign with white paint. Today it says "Clinton raped Juanita." Not sure what that means, but it's enjoyable to see for some reason.

The Clarinet guy. He is older than old and sets up at various places downtown with a lawn chair and a box to collect money with various sayings all over it. He plays swing tunes and patriotic songs on a clarinet. He now has CDs available for $5.
    Last edited by OnMyLunchBreak; 05-26-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Heh... I have a wonderful window seat in the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit. My window overlooks the Windsor Tunnel and Hart Plaza (a park.)

Every single day at around 1:15-1:30 this guy comes to the closest section of the park to us and proceeds to go through a 20 minute boxing routine. The little spot he's in is only relatively hidden from the street by trees, but it's quite public to us. I'm sure he doesn't even think about what he looks like to anyone in the building.

We've taken to calling him Reggie. He's our after lunch entertainment/alarm clock.

There used to be this local guy that was downstairs every day for lunch. His sense of fashion could put Vonzell's (American Idol) father to shame. The guy was all dooded out in a three piece suit, with a matching hat, and matching shoe covers. He was one mack daddy!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    My favorite is the guy we see in the "habitrail" at Yankee Stadium, a covered walkway leading from the parking lot to the stadium. He plays the flute and has a hat for money. Every--single--time we go, my husband starts whistling the tune to The Flintstones. This guy plays a mean Flintstones on the flute. It makes me smile every time.

You see some wild things in the streets of NYC, but most of the time, I don't even notice them - I'm walking too fast!

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp
    You see some wild things in the streets of NYC, but most of the time, I don't even notice them - I'm walking too fast!
    I can imagine. I've only been once and EVERYTHING seemed weird, but cool . I'm sure they make my Denver oddballs look normal.

Two Words - Naked Cowboy!

You know it's spring when he's back in town, and he's available for all your business parties too

There also used to be Kissing Roger on the shuttle to Grand Central. When I was a newbie to Manhattan I saw him every day - sitting on the shuttle, preaching that God put us on the earth to f---, and that woman could pay him a penny to teach them how to properly kiss. He was hilarious, huge sign saying who he was - always a lot of room near kissing Roger!

FORT Fogey
    I work in downtown Boston, and I saw something unbelievable last summer when the Democratic National Convention was being held.

It happened right across the street from the place where Hillary Clinton was having lunch.

I'm at work right now, but I'll be sure to post it tonight. It was wild.

Great, now I have to wait until tonight to hear Pom's story!

I work in downtown Montreal and there are some crazy people. One guys yells Sinatra songs with made up words ALL DAY LONG. He's there when I get to work and there when I leave. It is American Idol bad audition awful, if not more.

One guy runs in slow motion. It is hilarious and weird at the same time.

One lady walks around dressed like the queen of hearts and carries an "umbrella" that looks like a stick with a pillow on top.

I saw a lady a few years back dressed in nothing but pinks and yellows, with matching bleached blond hair, bubblegum lipstick and, get this, a pink kleenex. I saw her again last year and she was in the same get up.

Desert rose I don't know what part of Downtown Montreal you work at but I've never seen those

Here 's what I have seen. In one of the metro (subway) station there is this guy dressed in sweat shirt & pants, most of the time matching, most of the time fluo yellow or fluo pink. And sunglasses. He has a guitar and sings songs he made up. he also has a little sign in his guitar case and changes what is written on it everyday. Mostly snark comments about the world. Funny and entertaining

If I think of more I'll post them.
    Wrigleys Doublemint Gum....double your pleasure, double your fun!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    I work in downtown Boston, and I saw something unbelievable last summer when the Democratic National Convention was being held.

It happened right across the street from the place where Hillary Clinton was having lunch.

I'm at work right now, but I'll be sure to post it tonight. It was wild.
    Oh sure Pom, just tease us! I look forward to your story!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose
    One guy runs in slow motion. It is hilarious and weird at the same time.
    Now that is something I would like to see.

For NYC dwellers, there is an organization called Improv Everywhere that stages hilarious or magical scenes (they call them missions) all over the city.

One of my favorites is called No Pants. The "agents" get on the last car of a subway train and they all take off their pants and give them to another agent. Then the agents not wearing any pants get into different subway cars and proceed to act normally: read the paper, listen to their iPod, etc..(of course, everyone stares). A few minutes later, the agent who has all the pants walks through the cars shouting "Pants for sale! Pants, $1!" Everyone buys their pants back and gets off the subway.

You can read about there other missions here: http://www.improveverywhere.com/

I like the idea and it would be cool if someone has seen them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast