+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Weird Things You See in Big Cities

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    The moral of the story, I guess, is that if you want my help after you get really drunk and then fall down, thatís fine. Iíll help you. Iím a pretty good sport. Iíll pick you up. Iíll help you, but only if your package is wrapped!!!
    Pom ! Nothing quite like a public viewing of the family jewels to send a girl straight into therapy. Great story!

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    HOLY COW! I just saw a guy walking down the street. Hands and entire face painted silver. Wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase. Dirty blonde wig, dark brown mustache and small, yellow, plastic kiddy sunglasses.

Part of my wants to laugh, part of me thinks it may be an ironic comment on being a corporate wage slave.

I knew this guy was online!

www.nakedcowboy.com

I know I mentioned him before, but I saw him again - not a bad chest, or gimmick - he's all over the place this year.

There's this one guy on the subway trains, been there for the 5 years I've lived here, he crawls on his knees begging for money, food, anything - says he can't stay in a home, etc. It's pitiful. But ever since I saw another bum regular in the line before me at a store, explaining how it is his job and he makes close to 200 a day just beggin' on the trains, and found out he lived in a better neighborhood than I - it soured me for the regulars.

The funniest was this guy outside Lincoln center moaning about how he hasn't eaten for days and just some food would be great, and that he can barely walk etc.. I figured fine, food I can deal with. I went to the bakery next door and got him a bag of bagels. When I offered them to the guy, he said he couldn't because he's on Atkin's! The bakery let me return them, and in line behind me was a woman with a bag of muffins - same thing. But he did take her water.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitternerfball
    When I offered them to the guy, he said he couldn't because he's on Atkin's! The bakery let me return them, and in line behind me was a woman with a bag of muffins - same thing. But he did take her water.
    Hey, c'mon...it's always important to maintain your standards!

J/K, that is crazy. I tried to give a lady asking for change a granola bar once, she sneered at it, so I took it back and had a lovely afternoon snack.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Did he look like this?
    Marley. No, but he must be one of his friends. I love the, "wth, let's just call it what it is" approach.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I actually was reminded of another during lunch - the weird thing is the street names. A friend of mine was SOOO happy (he's a manly man, or a man's man - you choose) that he found a place on the corner of
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Seamen and Cumming
    (I spoilered in case some found it offensive - BUT it's a real street corner near a mormon church in Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by Chach
    I work in downtown San Francisco, so it would be simpler to list the non-weird things I see everyday, but I'll mention a guy I see frequently because he always cracks me up:

A homeless-looking older black guy, holding his donation cup in one hand and a sign saying "United Negro Pizza Fund" in the other.
    After laughing, I would have gave him some money.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Marley. No, but he must be one of his friends. I love the, "wth, let's just call it what it is" approach.

I like the honest approach also. One twenty-something yr old had a sign reading: "to lazy to work, to honest to steal". It made me laugh so I gave her some money. I never give to young adults because I figure if I have to work so should they (unless they have a severe physical or mental handicap), but her honesty got to me.

I heard some news on the radio this morning and someone from Ukraine would be typing the following in this thread: A businessman decided that it was too nice to work today so he left work in the early afternoon, stripped down to his underwear, folded his suit neatly and laid on a downtown sidewalk to catch a few rays.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose
    I heard some news on the radio this morning and someone from Ukraine would be typing the following in this thread: A businessman decided that it was too nice to work today so he left work in the early afternoon, stripped down to his underwear, folded his suit neatly and laid on a downtown sidewalk to catch a few rays.
    That's crazy!!!

I once saw a really good looking guy in a three piece suit standing at a major Denver intersection with a sign that said: "Interntional business greaduate, three years work experience, will give you a copy of my resume. Need Work."

So yeah, Denver, maybe not the hottest job market in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by OnMyLunchBreak
    I once saw a really good looking guy in a three piece suit standing at a major Denver intersection with a sign that said: "Interntional business greaduate, three years work experience, will give you a copy of my resume. Need Work."
    I hail from Silicon Valley in California, and I will never forget the photo I saw in the San Jose Mercury News in 1992, just as grads were leaving school into a wretched economy.

In the photo, a grad was shown with the words "WILL WORK 4 FOOD" duct taped to the top of his mortar board.

The caption didn't mention his name, or whether he was seeking work or making an ironic political statement. I've always wondered which it was.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast