+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Weird Things You See in Big Cities

Quote Originally Posted by PittGrrl04
    I went to school in Pittsburgh and my favorite was Sombrero Man. A habitant of Oakland, this older man (who was definitely NOT mexican) wearing a sombero would panhandle by saying "change, change". There were all types of rumors about him, like he was actually a millionaire and lived somewhere in the suburbs.
    Wow, what memories. I remember him well. I always gave him change even after I heard he was a millionaire.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    I think the strangest thing I ever saw in Denver was a man who looked just like an Australian Aborigine. Long gray/white beard, loincloth and spear. It was just so Crocodile Dundee!

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    This thread is cracking me up...

I recently visited Seattle for the first time ( Mariner)...I was taken aback by the steep, obviously not ADA compliant, sidewalks throughout their downtown.

As I was trudging uphill one rainy day , I saw a homeless man that was having quite the time making it up hill as well.....something about his stagger made me chuckle, but I told my BF that "I bet he can't make it up this hill without a pit stop" and sure enough, almost a split second after I said it out loud, the man ducked into a door stoop to take a swig.

Maybe you had to be there...
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Genius
    Reykjavik, iceland isn't that big, but it has a phallogical museum, featuring the male privte organs of many animals.
    What??? That is weird enough. *shudder*

Okay... these are the weirdos just on the block where I work:

There's this little old lady who's dressed very nicely, but spends every afternoon walking around the neighborhood asking people for money. She even tried to shoplift from our store once.

Then there's this guy who I haven't seen in a while, but for about a month he'd walk around talking loudly to himself while walking around the block multiple times in a row. He looked like a homeless guy but changed his clothes every other day. He was dirty, always wore beat-up sandals and had very unruly hair.

And several days ago three young female tourists came dashing into my work. After a few minutes I noticed a different crazy guy talking to himself and pacing outside the store. I asked the girls, "Are you trying to escape the freak that's outside?" They said he'd been following them, and I said "Welcome to San Francisco." He disappeared a few minutes later, and the girls left, but not before looking around to make sure he was gone.

I am loving this thread.

This is quite tame compared to these wonderful stories, but last night in Los Angeles, we saw a homeless man with a sign that read,

"WhY LIE. I NeED BEaR. GIVE mE MoNEY FOR BEER." I loved his honesty.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Good old downtown Sudbury has our share of loonies.

Suzie the screamer - a cross dressing man that walks around town in his satin daisy dukes, singing at the top of his lungs.

Claire the baglady - she passed away a few years ago, she was mentally ill and many tried to help her but she refused. She'd curse you out in both official languages.

Sandra - tried to make it as a prostitute. 5'5, 200 lbs, hot pink or orange lipstick. She'd walk down the street yelling all day .. mister, BJ $5. In the downtown core we have Constables on bikes. I swear to god she was yelling BJ, $5 at a passerby one day, spotted the constables and called out "$2 for you Officer" I died laughing - so did they and they continued on their merry way.

Cathy - another bag lady. "Can I borrow $5?" My husband asked her, when will you pay me back? She was speechless, she just walked away.

Downtown drunk- 3 pm Friday afternoon, I was on my way to make the bank deposit. The drunk was sitting on the bench outside of the Royal Bank with his 'goods' in his hand, urinating in an arc onto the sidewalk. I turned on my heel and went back to the store - there was no way I was walking past a 'loaded weapon'

I saw so many things in the 8 years I worked downtown - the weirdest stories I could tell you would be about my boss.
    - pulled a 12 yr old skateboarder off his board and confiscated it - for having the nerve to ride in front of his store
    - broke up a co-worker and his fiance because he didnt think my coworker deserved her
    - tried to stop me from getting married
    - went behind his wife's back to conspire with me to get the wife's daughter out of the business
    -put in an outdoor sound system, blasted classical music for the duration of our store hours to keep people from sitting on the benches outside the store.
    I have 8 years of his crap people .. those were just some highlights.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt64
    Oh god have we got crazies!

Duffle Bag Man.. carries around no less than 5 huge bags of his crap. He's obviously homeless, but geez he has a lot of stuff. Used to come into my work and use our bathroom (until I banned him for smoking in the bathroom).. now he just glares at me from outside the window.
    Okay, I have a confession. The first time I read this, given the use of "crap" and "bathroom" in the same post, I thought you were saying he literally carried 5 huge bags of well...you know. You have no idea how relieved (sorry ) I am that I misinterpreted the word crap.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Duxxy, that is one special boss you have there. Don't even know what to say but, wow!

I work in downtown San Francisco, so it would be simpler to list the non-weird things I see everyday, but I'll mention a guy I see frequently because he always cracks me up:

A homeless-looking older black guy, holding his donation cup in one hand and a sign saying "United Negro Pizza Fund" in the other.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast