+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on child fleeing the nest

Advice on child fleeing the nest

Our daughter will be leaving for college mid-August. She will be moving 2,000 miles away, and we are in the midst of trying to work out the logistics of such a move. We'll be buying her bedding and laptop there. We're taking as much as we can on the plane, but some things will obviously need to be shipped.

Can anyone offer any suggestions what their students considered must-haves? Is a small refrigerator really needed...a microwave? Her dorm room is really small, so we'll need to be creative.

Signed,

Weeping Parents
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Of course she'll need a fridge. Where would she keep her beer?
    Seriously though, I have seen microwave/mini fridge combinations before, I just can't remember where.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 05-11-2005 at 08:55 PM.

Rosekid - no need for a fridge - kegs fit in barrels of ice.
    All kidding aside, she might want to check with the dorm to find out what is typical. A small fridge might be nice, but not necessary. I know they sell a verry small fridge, about the size of a case of soda, and that might fit under a bed if she realllyyy has to have one. Found one at target for about $75. You might be better off waiting on that stuff until you get there though.

Definitely check with the college to see if the refrigerators are even allowed. Some with older buildings don't even allow them. If possible, I'd definitely equip her with a fridge and a microwave so she can save on expenses. Popping a bag of popcorn sure beats having to run to the snackshop or a vending machine for late night goodies.

What you'll want to look at is different ways of putting together her bed in order to get the best space. Lofts are a great way to increase space, and most colleges have people/companies advertising selling lofts and installing them cheaply. We also used to flip over the bed's headboard/footboard and that would give us added space underneath the bed for anything... even that fridge.

Do they have their own bathrooms, or a community bathroom? Either way, getting a special bathroom bag or bucket and filling it with all of your daughter's favorite products would be a fun going away gift. (Don't forget to include flip flops if it's a community bathroom. )

The only *musts* that I would say is fridge, microwave, and computer. Other than that... it's all going to be a matter of your daughter.

Is she coming anywhere close to Michigan? I have an extra microwave that I could donate.

roseskid- if the fridge and micro are allowed you can generally get those for at or under 100.00 ea I've been doing some websurfing and found the following wal mart 65.00 for a refrigerator , http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...112986%3A90791 microwave for 40.00 http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...90546%3A132950
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Wow so much great advice already! Thank you all.

Kegs, cold beer...ACK! Not my baby. :nono

Of course she'll need a microwave for that late-night popcorn...

Broadway, they do have the capabilities to 'loft', so we'll probably get her set up for that. There is a community bathroom, too, so I love the idea of the bucket of bath products, and flip flops for the shower is also something we hadn't considered. You are a treasure trove of information, my friend.

Thanks also, Broadway, for the offer of your microwave, but she'll be in Missouri, and I don't think it's quite that close. I appreciate the offer, though.

Gabriel thanks for the Walmart link, and Ana Banana, thank you for the mention of Target. We'll definitely check these out.

Does the excess use of smilies give you a clue how freaked out we are? I think we're doing a good job of hiding it from her though...then again, maybe not so much.

If anyone thinks of any other suggestions, I'm definitely open to any and all ideas...other than the keg suggestions, that is.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Congratulations! Best wishes to you and your new college student.

Have you or your daughter contacted any potential roommates to see who can/will bring what? (frig, microwave, tv, stereo, etc...).

At my college the upperclassmen unloaded and unpacked the vehicles of incoming freshman and took their belongings up to their room so the parents and new students didn't have to. I remember hauling a large screen tv to a room that already had one or trying to fit two couches or wall-to wall stereos systems.

Depending on what part of the country she is going to, you could save space by packing for the seasons, with a few emergency weather change outfits/coats. I switched out my wardrobe over scheduled breaks.

You may also want to figure out a schedule or priority list for sending her mail that she receives are her home address. Some of it may be important.

I did have a small refrigerator and microwave. I liked to have my orange juice and warmed-up leftover pizza.

ETA: Many Universities sell students' information to credit card companies and students end up in debt.
    http://www.consumeralert.org/pubs/research/Aug99StudentDebt.htm
    Last edited by rt1ky; 05-11-2005 at 09:54 PM.

Roses, you might want to check on the college's website to find out what they already have (microwaves, etc). The school I'm going to actually has this handy little list of ideas to bring:

Now that you have decided where you are going to college you might want to begin planning on what you will need to bring in the fall. Below is a list of items that we suggest you bring to campus. Remember the things you bring in the fall you will need to bring home in the spring. To help, we do provide storage space for sealed boxes in the residence halls and limited summer storage space for carpet and some furniture.

Linen (mattresses are twin extra long (36Ēx80Ē)

Pillow

Blankets

Bedspread/Comforter

Bathroom bucket (to transport things to and from the bathroom)

Towels

Bathrobe

Laundry bag/basket, detergent, and iron (ironing boards are available in laundry rooms)

Power strip (preferably one with surge protection)

Key chain

Waste basket

Book bag

Plate, silverware, etc. (for when you prepare meals in your hall kitchen)

Desk lamp

Alarm clock

You may rent or bring your own small refrigerator. We permit one refrigerator for every three students living in a room. Maximum size allowed is 4.3 cubic feet. Information about refrigerator rental will be mailed to you in the summer.

Things Not To Bring: Halogen lamps, candles, microwaves, hot plates or other cooking appliances. Coffeepots with automatic shut-off are permitted.

Residence hall rooms are equipped with twin beds, mattresses, mattress pads, dressers, study desks and chairs, and neutral-colored draperies. If you are considering bringing personal furniture, please keep in mind that all college owned furniture in your room upon check-in must remain in the room throughout the entire year.
    You know, something like that. I think it's a pretty good list! So, take a quick peek at the school's website. Best of luck!

Rosekid, if you and your family need advice on the technology side of the house, PM or email me, and I'll answer any and all questions you may have.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

FORT Fogey
    Hey roses,

A good friend of mine is a Denver based psychologist who wrote a book entitled, "Empty Nest . . . Full Heart - The Journey From Home to College" and I think you'd not only enjoy it but also benefit from it.

She wrote the book for people going through EXACTLY what you and Mr. Roses are going through with your daughter taking off for college.

You can click on her web page here: Andrea VanSteenhouse

Here's some info on the book from Amazon.com: "Empty Nest" at Amazon.com

I think you'll find it helpful as you go through this transition.

Best of luck to you guys!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast