+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on child fleeing the nest

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    No kidding, man. Giving credit cards to 18- and 19-year-olds (including myself, at that time)? It's like giving a loaded gun to a monkey.
    HEY! I had a credit card when I was 19, but then again I was freakishly responsible. <---- no fun.

I think a cell phone is a great idea, but if they have 'regular' phones in the dorm room, how 'bout a prepaid calling card.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Jluvs, what is this "blue foam" you speak of, hmmm?? Is it on a roll, or does it come out of a can? Please enlighten me.
    It comes in a roll. I am trying to find a picture of it as I only called it blue foam sticky thing

But it was super thin and dark blue. I used it to stick all my birthday cards up and pictures from home. I loved it.

www.containerstore.com

They have college bound section there and I think it is in there. My computer is very slow though.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

to emphasize how slow my computer is....right after I posted that I found the link, but have not been able to post again until now

Here is the blue sticky stuff:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...4&PRODID=60229

I really loved it.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

We went to Target today, and no luck on the sheets, but we got a catalog from the univ. this afternoon for ordering them. We'll check BBB, like mentioned upthread, and if they don't have them, at least we know we can order them from this catalog.

JLuvs, thanks so much for providing the link for The Container Store, that was so sweet of you. That store is fabulous...there are so many things she could use. We'll definitely get the 'blue stuff,' that's very clever. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Libs, thanks for your info, too. All of you have been so generous with your ideas.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Leo
    Premium Member
    If you're not comfortable with giving a credit card for emergency purposes, maybe you should look into debit cards instead. Kinda hard to spend too much money if you have to put money in first before spending.

JLuvs, thanks so much for providing the link for The Container Store, that was so sweet of you. That store is fabulous...there are so many things she could use. We'll definitely get the 'blue stuff,' that's very clever. Thanks so much for the suggestion.
    No problem. My parents got to miss out on most of that stuff because I went to uni in England, was supposed to be for one quarter, but I stayed for 5 years.

I love The Container Store.
    -Bono

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    If you're not comfortable with giving a credit card for emergency purposes, maybe you should look into debit cards instead. Kinda hard to spend too much money if you have to put money in first before spending.
    Our bank changed their debit card to a Visa. It's considered a credit card but the money comes out of your checking account. It has been perfect for my son while he was away at college, I just transfered enough money to his account every week so he could buy groceries or whatever else he needed. With on-line banking I've been able to monitor his spending plus transfer money when needed. The only thing I haven't been able to do is get him to quit using those "foreign" ATMs. They charge about $4 in fees each time he uses them.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    We went to Target today, and no luck on the sheets, but we got a catalog from the univ. this afternoon for ordering them. We'll check BBB, like mentioned upthread, and if they don't have them, at least we know we can order them from this catalog.

Those catalogs can overcharge. Try K-mart. My parents got mine from the Martha Stewart collection. More stores will probably start to carry the sheets closer to August.
    Is the Container store the same as the Organized Living store (just a different name)? They have containers and organizers for things I never imagined organizing before. Of course, you can always get ideas there and shop elsewhere for cheaper prices.

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky
    Those catalogs can overcharge. Try K-mart. My parents got mine from the Martha Stewart collection. More stores will probably start to carry the sheets closer to August.
    Yes, I noticed the price, plus they're boring colors...no patterns, just your typical baby blue, white, and tan. *yawn* Thanks for the tip about KMart, we didn't check there yet.
    Is the Container store the same as the Organized Living store (just a different name)? They have containers and organizers for things I never imagined organizing before. Of course, you can always get ideas there and shop elsewhere for cheaper prices.
    I'm not familiar with Organized Living, but you're right about getting ideas from them, and then buying something similar at a different store for a lot less. I will be getting the blue wall stuff JLuvs talked about though...I've never seen that anywhere else.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Well.. I kind of was in your daughter's shoes. I traveled from Dallas, TX to University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI.

I would recommend buying a fridge, and microwave and all that at the town she's going to school at. It's actually pretty handy to have a fridge at school. Keeps your beers cold (just kidding... well sorta ) and it keeps your red bulls cold for those late night study sessions! Also... try and keep in contact with your daughter's roommate. Maybe she lives closer to the school, and will be able to bring other things, like a TV and radio.

Also.. as suggested, LOFTS!!!! They are a life saver! And they save alot of room! Plus they're fun! In my freshman dorm, our loft was an autograph board! Anytime anybody came to our room, they'd sign our loft with a permanant marker. It was fun looking at it at the end of the year... remembering good times in the room.

Go to Bed Bath and Beyond this summer frequently. They have really good deals on alot of dorm things. And alot of them are cute girly things They have alot of space saving items too.. like a canvas pouch you put under your mattress, to hold your books and remote controls, etc in; and an over the door mirror, and bathroom caddys, and other cool dorm things (like lamps, bedding, decorating things). They're pretty cheap too! And a great thing about them, is they ship! They'll ship to your daughters dorm room! I can't remember how much, but I do remember it was cheap.

Oh.. also! CELL PHONES! I know alot of people say don't get them for her, but when you're that far away from home, you need one! They have FREE long distance and majority of them have FREE mobile-to-mobile. The free long distance helps alot, especially when you're far away from home. It costs alot of money to have long distance through the dorms, the cell phone is just so much easier and convienant.

Also... tell your daughter to join Sigma Kappa sorority. They're the best (gotta do a little promotion here )
    Last edited by Callie; 05-15-2005 at 10:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread