+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on child fleeing the nest

That's great, Mariner. But you already know I'm terribly fond of John Cusack films. (Besides, what with my delivering monologues to the bathroom mirror and such, I sometimes feel as though my life resembles them . . . except "Grosse Pointe Plank," thankfully. )

Um, end of threadjack! *scrambles to try to think of something useful and relevant*

Take a lint brush! Yes.

I'm very happy to know your life isn't Grosse Point Blankish Manny. Another thing that may not be a bad idea is earplugs. Either because of loud roommates or loud noises outside.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    Odd items that I found useful were....
    -a bulletin board/chalk board to put by the phone or on the door of the room for messages
    Oh, that's brought back a ton of memories of leaving insane messages on the dry erase boards on people's doors. For a time I had this habit of writing 'death to all tyrants' in Spanish on random boards. (OK that was weird, but at the time it was hilarious, at least to me and my Puerto Rican friends.) Funny thing is, I don't speak a word of Spanish nor do I remember the correct phrase/spelling right now.

It is not that long ago that I was dorming in college..oh the memories

My first year my roomate didn't speak English and I love to talk, so that was fun. Year two I had a chatty American for the first half of the year and a non-english speaking student for the second half of the year. Year three Norwegian who played dance music 24/7 even on Sunday at 8 am or earlier
    • My Mum got me this blue foam stuff from The Container Store that I could put around the border of my room and stick pictures on to. Very handy stuff, not expensive and doesn't rip paint off the walls :-) not that I ever did that
    • flip flops are a must, I only had to share a shower with three other people, as mine was on suite, but I still wore those things
    • a TV, and nice headphones to go along with it so that she doesn't keep her roomates up at night. I was over in England and the only baseball games we got were the Wednesday and Sunday night ones from ESPN and they were live. So I was watching TV until 4am with headphones. Sad I know.
    • A good coffee machine ---- must have
    • my uni had a communal kitchen on each floor that had more than one huge fridge and microwave, stove ....etc so make sure she doesn't already have that
    • a computer -- as the computer labs can go down and the hours can be a pain to work around

That is all I can think of for now...but I am sure I will come back with more later.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Along the lines of what Manny was saying, you might want to get your daughter an emergency credit card as a pre-emptive strike against the credit card vendors that will no doubtedly be lined up outside the Union building (or whatever the main get together building is called).

I was like Critical where I was a non-traditional student and went to college at 25 so I was already dealing with credit card woes. I was surprised at the hook-line-sinker approach the vendors had towards kids straight out of the nest. All it took was a free t-shirt or cheap radio to get them to sign up.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    I was surprised at the hook-line-sinker approach the vendors had towards kids straight out of the nest. All it took was a free t-shirt or cheap radio to get them to sign up.
    No kidding, man. Giving credit cards to 18- and 19-year-olds (including myself, at that time)? It's like giving a loaded gun to a monkey.

:runs around in Discover tennis cap, carrying Wachovia Bank water bottle:

"Hey, people at the dorm! Look what I got! And I've got a zero balance on a $1,000 line of credit that needs breaking in at Woodstock Pizza!"

People at dorm: "Yay!"
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    A dry erase board to put on her door for her freinds to leave messages. There may been one left on the door from the previous occupants.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    duct tape
    and WD-40.

If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.

More great ideas...thank you all. I'm going to make a list of all of these.

We will be giving her a credit card *for true emergencies only.* I have drummed into her head (almost from the day she was born) about the evils of credit cards, and how she needs to understand they're a great convenience, but it is money that's being spent. She fully gets the whole red alert aspect of them. It's so bad now, that if I even begin to hint at the potential dangers, she runs from the room, hands over her ears, screaming, "aaaauuuugggghhhhh!"

Mariner/Manny, I love that scene in The Sure Thing.

Jluvs, what is this "blue foam" you speak of, hmmm?? Is it on a roll, or does it come out of a can? Please enlighten me.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread