+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on child fleeing the nest

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile
    If you are going to be there for the moving in part, I would bring a drill with a lot of different types of bits. If she has a laptop, a locking device is handy, and sometimes you have to install it (we've done this a couple of times for our daughters in boarding school). You may have to pay a small fine for the hole (we never have) but it is worth the few cents to save thefts. Even if the rooms lock, just going to the common room, visiting friends down the hall, etc. It only takes a minute if the door is open.
    Speaking of security, some police stations offer engraving of laptops and personal items to mark your or your daughter's identity (name or number ID) so they can return it to her, should something happen.

*rushes in blowing kisses to all*

Thank you, all, for the wonderful suggestions about so many aspects of this big change in our lives. The drill (and bits) is an excellent idea...I'm not sure we would have thought of that.

Lil Rose and I are flying there in June for a Summer Welcome. We'll be staying in the dorms, and it's at this time the Freshmen can register for classes. The university also has a program called Freshmen Interest Groups (FIGs) where they attempt to match kids with similar interests. It should be a great time...we're both looking forward to it. I'll probably be able to get a lot of our questions answered at that time, regarding the specific requirements. I never even thought of the extra-long bed issue, so I'll check into that, too. She's going to have a laptop, cell phone and like I said before, Mr. Rose is actually looking into a web cam (to ease our heartache more than hers ). All of you who have offered suggestions are another great example of the supportive and generous nature of Forters. I thank you all!

rt1ky, I'm going to call our police department and find out about this...good idea.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky
    Speaking of security, some police stations offer engraving of laptops and personal items to mark your or your daughter's identity (name or number ID) so they can return it to her, should something happen.

I bought a small engraver (less than $20) and engraved her name on the back and in the battery compartment as well as keeping all the serial numbers etc.

Well, considering that I lived at home until I was 25 .... I have no experience with dorms. When I finally went away to college, I was in my own apartment off campus.

I do remember though, that when my best friend from high school went to UCLA, one of the most used items she took was a little tool kit with a hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. Her mother bought it for her (I think it was pink!) and she totally made fun of what a stupid gift it was.... until she kept finding reasons to need it! Sometimes mothers do know best! You could probably find a good one at Target or Walmart. Someone mentioned melamine dishes... I saw some cute ones at Target the other day that you could buy individually - that might be a good deal since she won't need a whole big set of dishes.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I do remember though, that when my best friend from high school went to UCLA, one of the most used items she took was a little tool kit with a hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. Her mother bought it for her (I think it was pink!) and she totally made fun of what a stupid gift it was.... until she kept finding reasons to need it! Sometimes mothers do know best! You could probably find a good one at Target or Walmart.
    Consumer Reports did a review in their latest issue (June 2005, mattresses on the cover) on tools for women. They are padded and sized for women's hands. Except for the pliers handles being too bumpy, they gave the nod to the "Barbara K" brand, sold online at at stores, including Bed Bath & Beyond. The short article is on page 9.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I was just reading a study on how teens use cell phones the other day. The study found that overwhelmingly they look at who called, then call back without checking voicemail. The study also found that the biggest group leaving messages were parents.

So, get that phone, but don't leave any content in your voice mail, she probably won't bother to listen to it. But she will call you back!
    It works for us, we got him caller ID and voice mail with the understanding that it was so we could reach him if needed and he would know it was us and not blow off the call. We don't need it very often but when we have he has always called back within a couple of hours from the time we left the message. The college always sends mail to our home even though he's right there on campus, so sometimes I need to call him for something related to school and need him to get the message. He's 19 and I've noticed he has become a lot more responsible over the last year compared to when he was a younger teen.

I remember those college days- you can rent a fridege in most places, and for the first year I suggest it, for the remaining years I got one that a senior was getting rid off. And it cost nada, they hadn't sold it so abandoned it. That is a good time to get things you didn't the first year, when the seniors leave. (also got a lamp and binders and cd racks, etc. All abandoned)

A rug is nice, and there were communcal microwaves at my school. But definately check with the college first.

BUT- i highly reccomend a full on, nothing living can get out mattress cover or something to spray on it before moving in. Those things have seen so many people and bed bugs are a huge problem. I am so happy I had one on my mattress. I sprayed it down, sealed it up, and did not get attacked like others I knew.

SO - Mattress cleaner/cover is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitternerfball
    BUT- i highly reccomend a full on, nothing living can get out mattress cover or something to spray on it before moving in. Those things have seen so many people and bed bugs are a huge problem. I am so happy I had one on my mattress. I sprayed it down, sealed it up, and did not get attacked like others I knew.

SO - Mattress cleaner/cover is a must.
    I will remember this for sure. Thank you.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

May I suggest waiting til term is over to see if any students have a fridge to sell. Also, my long distance son preferred to to not drive w/microwave and fridge in car-they took up too much space. I have kept myself busy-hope you have lots to do!

If she's going to have roomates, they usually contact each other before they actually move in. You might want to see who's bringing what. Or wait to see who brings what at the beginning. Otherwise you might end up with 4 girls in a room and 4 microwaves.

A shower caddy is a definate must. Even if they have a suite and the bathroom is right there in the room, you don't want a buncha peoples shampoos cluttering up the shower. *plus* I was constantly noticing my shampoo going down a lot faster than I was actually using it. Putting her stuff in her own caddy might make it a little less convienient for someone to say "gee, I always wanted to try this brand"

One of those folding laundry things with a pop up handle and wheels would be nice too. Since laundry is usually in the basement or something and carrying a basket of laundry, detergent, something to read etc... up and down stairs and elevators can poop out a tired student.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread