+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on child fleeing the nest

roseskid,

When I went to college, a fridge was a MUST have for me and I used it a lot and NOT just for beer! A microwave, I didnt have and I could easily live without because in my dorm, there were microwaves on every floor on the lounge. Most dorms have them. It might just take up space.

Your daughter will love college and I know you will miss her! My parents used to come and stay with me for long weekends when I was at college every now and then. I LOVED it when they did and my friends did too. Especially since my parents were always taking all of us out to dinner.

College was one of the happiest times in my life.
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Phonegrrrl, we'll take care of the air freshener as soon as we get there. Btw, I think it's hysterical (and appropriate) you are giving phone advice.
    Well, what kind of telecom lawyer would I be if I didn't? Now don't make me advise on what carrier...don't want to get in trouble w/the clients...

Actually the advice, it stems from my sister moving to NYC for grad school and realizing that she didn't have anything to plug in the the jack. She was at a payphone on the street at midnight calling me. Not necessarily the best or safest situation.

Premium Member
    I don't have any advice for you roseskid since my son's college is only an hour away and he comes home most weekends. I feel for you though, after next year he wants to transfer to a 4-year school to finish his degree. He lives in an apartment on campus and they sent us a list of everything that is already furnished in the apartment and also a list of what to bring and what not to bring. He has a cell phone but the best thing we did was to add voice mail to it so we could contact him and leave a message even if he didn't have his phone on. That way we knew he would get it rather than having to depend on the roommates to relay messages if he wasn't there.

When I first went to college, and moved into the dorms, there were several trucks outside of the dorms offering cheap rentals on small fridges, and I think microwaves for the year/semester. If I recall correctly, it was pretty cheap to rent a fridge for the year, and then they come and pick it up at the end of the year too.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    He has a cell phone but the best thing we did was to add voice mail to it so we could contact him and leave a message even if he didn't have his phone on. That way we knew he would get it rather than having to depend on the roommates to relay messages if he wasn't there.
    I was just reading a study on how teens use cell phones the other day. The study found that overwhelmingly they look at who called, then call back without checking voicemail. The study also found that the biggest group leaving messages were parents.

So, get that phone, but don't leave any content in your voice mail, she probably won't bother to listen to it. But she will call you back!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I was just reading a study on how teens use cell phones the other day. The study found that overwhelmingly they look at who called, then call back without checking voicemail. The study also found that the biggest group leaving messages were parents.

So, get that phone, but don't leave any content in your voice mail, she probably won't bother to listen to it. But she will call you back!
    Okay, I'm not a teen, but I am SO guilty of this, too. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhobdob
    When I first went to college, and moved into the dorms, there were several trucks outside of the dorms offering cheap rentals on small fridges, and I think microwaves for the year/semester. If I recall correctly, it was pretty cheap to rent a fridge for the year, and then they come and pick it up at the end of the year too.
    Yeah, but how long ago was that???? That's probably wayyyyyyyy back when mini-fridges were a novelty and therefore still expensive.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I honestly can't blame her. It's much easier to see who's called you than bothering with checking your voice mail.
    Last edited by Leo; 05-12-2005 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Okay, I'm not a teen, but I am SO guilty of this, too. Heh.
    Me too. I went to college before students had personal computers and back when one of my roommates brought a record player. Does your daughter have a stereo system or some other music source? I remember that being of paramount importance.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Yeah, but how long ago was that???? That's probably wayyyyyyyy back when mini-fridges were a novelty and therefore still expensive.
    Hey now! I'm not that old! But yeah, it was before the appliance/electronics boom, so it probably is cheaper to just buy a small fridge for....what? $40 now?
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

If you are going to be there for the moving in part, I would bring a drill with a lot of different types of bits. If she has a laptop, a locking device is handy, and sometimes you have to install it (we've done this a couple of times for our daughters in boarding school). You may have to pay a small fine for the hole (we never have) but it is worth the few cents to save thefts. Even if the rooms lock, just going to the common room, visiting friends down the hall, etc. It only takes a minute if the door is open.

+ Reply to Thread