+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Advice on child fleeing the nest

MRD

Re: Advice on child fleeing the nest

Gut, maybe you could join a club or something and get out more. Or invite friends over for dinner or a glass of wine.

Take a class. Do something for yourself that you've put off doing because you had kids at home. You need to get out of the rut of getting up, going to the gym, going to work and coming home. Get something special going that you look forward to doing once a week or so.

You could always ask Dan to come back. (just kidding)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Gut, I feel for you.
    And MRD has given some great suggestions.
    I think with your love of books, you'd be a natural to start a book club and be the facilitator!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Great ideas! Thanks! I will look for a book club. That would be right up my alley. I have a friend who wants me to start going to singles groups with her. I'm not quite there yet.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3734593;
    Thanks. I know that, but it doesn't make the house less quiet. Canuck - I hear you about over-buying food! I don't drink milk (prefer soy) but I keep buying a quart "just in case". I'm going to have to stop making a whole crock pot of food on the weekends because I just don't get through it and am sick of it by Weds. Ditto on baking a pie or anything like that.
    My daughter just called as I was writing this and has the opportunity to do a semester in Italy next fall. Now we just have to find the money for it.
    Since starting work, I've found that it's still easiest to do more involved cooking projects on weekends (sometimes I like to go all out), but I would think this would work for certain crockpot dishes as well-- make something that will last you for a week, eat it the night you make it, refrigerate one or two night's worth, and then freeze single servings of the remainder. Then you can mix it up during the week-- either defrost something from a previous week, or make a smaller portion of something new another night.

MRD:
    . . . invite friends over for dinner or a glass of wine.
    norealityhere:
    I think with your love of books, you'd be a natural to start a book club and be the facilitator!
    Book clubs and wine are a perfect go-together!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3734712;
    Since starting work, I've found that it's still easiest to do more involved cooking projects on weekends (sometimes I like to go all out), but I would think this would work for certain crockpot dishes as well-- make something that will last you for a week, eat it the night you make it, refrigerate one or two night's worth, and then freeze single servings of the remainder. Then you can mix it up during the week-- either defrost something from a previous week, or make a smaller portion of something new another night.
    I don't know why it never occurs to me to do this. My sister tells me to do it with baked goods, too.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3734989;
    I don't know why it never occurs to me to do this. My sister tells me to do it with baked goods, too.
    I've been doing this as all of us are on different schedules. Right now I have 5 different single serve meals in the freezer, that started out as big meals that I packaged up and froze. Then any one of us can grab one and heat in the microwave. It has helped a lot with no one being home for dinner together except on weekends and we have a choice of 5 different things at the moment.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3734778;
    MRD:

norealityhere:

Book clubs and wine are a perfect go-together!
    Those could become some VERY lively discussions.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey

When the kids leave the nest, for whatever reason, college, military, marriage, etc., it is a very painful time. Been there and done that, twice.

Allow yourself to "mourn" this change in your life, and then get on with your life, as this type of change is inevitable. Make a plan and stick to it. Change it later on as it becomes appropriate. Get busy. If you don't work, go out into the community and volunteer. Plenty to do in that regard. Learn to cook for one or two, as appropriate. Get a hobby; use your time productively.

I redid both my kids' rooms, one at a time, as soon as I knew the leaving was permanent. Changed one into a guest room, and one into my office. Put their "stuff" if they have left any, into boxes into a storage area, if you have room. My kids are 37 and 41 and there are still old records, car magazines, old computers, etc. in my basement. I just don't have to look at it.

No, it will never be the same once they are gone, but your home will hold memories in every corner. However, the message as I got it is: It is time to move on to another phase of your life.........hope this helps.

Gut - look for meetups in your area. we talked about this before I think. They have them for all kinds of activities, even trying out new restaurants. I go to 2 regular crochet/knitting meetups at local coffee shops and bookstores. It's tons of fun!

+ Reply to Thread