+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Advice on child fleeing the nest

Re: Advice on child fleeing the nest

I think my mom's shoe would still be lodged in my heinie if I came home from college expecting her to do my laundry!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Ellen, I agree. I'd have been wearing dirty clothes because she just wouldn't have done it AT all. But she while she wouldn't have done my laundry, she would have made sure that I ate well while I was home.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Those of you with college students should appreciate this... we got our W2s in our mailboxes at lunch yesterday. I went straight to my classroom and called H&R Block to make an appointment for 2:30. I went and had my taxes done and went straight home and plugged the numbers into the FAFSA form for my college-bound daughter that we had already filled out. Then I submitted it and got the estimated amount she will have to pay - which it turns out she can earn easily at her summer job as a state life guard. So, yea! I'm pretty proud of myself.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3276840;
    Advice on child fleeing the nest? Change the locks and don't give them a key.
    And help 'em pack!!!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

My kids know how to do laundry etc., but they are usually bagged from exams and the trip when they get home. They never ask me, but I'm sure they like it when I do their laundry and bake their favourite stuff. They usually fall into bed for a couple of days My middle daughter just arranged for housing next year and they had the good sense to fax the rental agreement to one of the other parents who is in real estate, to go over it. They then took it to the campus housing office to get it looked over as well. Sometimes they actually do listen to their parents

It's that time of year again! If any of you have first time college students, I recommend you read this thread from the beginning - excellent advice. My daughter and I went dorm stuff shopping yesterday and we found the coolest lamp. It's called an iLamp and I think we found it at Walmart. It is a desk lamp with a place to put your iPod with a connecting jack so the lamp plays music from your iPod from speakers in the base. I thought that was really clever since kids these days tend to have all their music on their iPods. No need for CD player and CDs. Of course, a lot of kids have their music on their laptops, too, but if you're just hanging out or reading, this is a great idea.
    Count your blessings!

I am feeling sad today since my oldest two have left for university (I can put together anything IKEA blindfolded now) and we are taking my youngest to a boarding school in another province tomorrow Both of his sisters went to this school (we were overseas and it was a necessity...ie we were in the boonies and there were no appropriate schools) and we always said we would give him the same opportunity when the time came, if he wanted. He is very excited and I hope he has the same success as his sisters, but I am still having a lot of trouble as we pack up his room. Also, I get so many negative comments from people that have no idea what they are talking about; I am tired of being made to feel like I am "shipping him off". Nothing could be further from the truth. He is an excellent student, a good kid, but my husband and I feel that we don't want to deny him the same opportunities just because we want him with us. We're trying to be fair. We'll see how it goes. He could always come home after a year, but truthfully, my kids have always been very independent so I don't think this will happen. My mom, brother and other relatives are close by so I'll be able to visit a fair bit. Sorry for the rant, but I am feeling kind of blue (and I'm sure he is sick of me hugging him )

My tip of the day: if you are getting a cell phone for your kid at this time of year (school opening) make sure you shop around and bargain. I was amazed at the deals they will pull out of their pocket at the last minute if they think you are about to switch companies, ie. unlimited text, free top 10 numbers across the country, etc.

canuckinchile - Don't worry about what other people think or say. I know that's easier said than done. Some people just don't have anything better to do but judge others when they don't know the circumstances, don't know what they are talking about and generally should just learn to mind their own damn business! It seems to me like you are doing an excellent job of raising your kids. It's hard to let them go, but really, one of your jobs as a parent is to prepare your children to face the world on their own and be independent.

Btw... hug him all you like. He may pretend to not like it, but I bet he secretly enjoys it.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

I agree with Lil Bit You have to make decisions based on your family. And what is right for you isn't right for someone else. What an unselfish choice you have made to let him go and you said he can come back if he's not happy. Just think of the opportunies that you are providing him with. I think you sound like wonderful, loving, unselfish parents. Pffft... on what others think.
    Hug him all you want, cause he probably won't let you hug him infront of his buddies.

Thanks Lil and inthegarden. I'm feeling better now. It is a great opportunity for him and I mostly don't really care what people say, but sometimes it does get to me. He has been to the school many times to visit his sisters and even though I know he will have lost all his socks 3 days after getting there, I think it will be good for him. It'll kill me...but good for him

Thanks for your kind words. It cheered me up a lot

+ Reply to Thread