+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Advice on child fleeing the nest

Re: Advice on child fleeing the nest

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3197615;
    . . . we were very low on towels. . . Now I'm trying to remember if I've seen them since Dan left. He had a thing about nice towels.
    Good lord -- Dan!!! Left the candy, but took the towels. Gut, you should write a book! (I'll be glad to ghostwrite it for you . . .)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3197615;
    Hmmmm. Now I'm trying to remember if I've seen them since Dan left. He had a thing about nice towels.
    I'll bet you that dan is enjoying some nice B I G bath towels right about now.

Canuckinchile mentioned in the tips and tricks thread that her daughter had had a laundry mishap, and I thought it might not be a bad idea to post this in here-- if your child is using communal laundry facilities, remind them to check both the washer and dryer before they use it for anything that might have been left behind.

When my sister was doing some laundry during the spring of her freshman year, someone left a pen in the dryer. I have to assume that they noticed that their clothes were covered in ink, but they didn't bother to remove the pen or post a note on the dryer, and so unfortunately my sister's whites came out covered in ink (too bad it wasn't the darks!). The responsible party ultimately offered to pay for her clothes to be professionally washed, but there were many items that were just ruined. It ended up being pretty costly, especially since there's a tendency to overstuff washers and dryers among the college set.

First semester down, 7 or so to go! My daughter has been home for 3 weeks and I have seen her maybe 3 times because she's been busy visiting friends. I can't believe how this first semester flew by. The weather here has been unseasonably warm here at home (75 today) but back at school she will have a 50 degree temperature drop.

Some things I have learned during this first year.
    1.Quiet is good sometimes
    2. Drama is always a phone call away
    3. 2-3 day shipping through the post office means 5 days until the package is received
    4. Prescriptions are easily transferred
    5. Weight gain/loss is inevitable
    6. Dollar Stores carry a lot of great "care package" items
    7. Book flights early!

Advice on child fleeing the nest? Change the locks and don't give them a key.

I can't believe how hard it was sending my daughter back to school. Just when I got used to having her home it was time for her to go back. Time flies, does it get easier letting go?

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

And in time you might enjoy having the "breather". I always loved my sons coming home (and they never brought their laundry for me to do), was sad when they went home and always looked forward to them coming back for a visit.

MRD

They never brought laundry? Lucky you!

My roommate in college did not know how to do laundry. She'd call around and find out who was going home for the weekend and send her laundry with them for her mom to do. Her mom would wash, dry, iron and fold it and send it back on Sun. I couldn't believe it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

How nice of her mom! I think I would do that if she was closer but she is 3000 miles away, it would be tough. She was really much more appreciate of everything when she was home and said thank you to me more than I have heard those words leave her lips in the past 5 years. Don't get me wrong she is very polite, just not to me! LOL Just Kidding!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3285289;
    How nice of her mom! I think I would do that if she was closer but she is 3000 miles away, it would be tough. She was really much more appreciate of everything when she was home and said thank you to me more than I have heard those words leave her lips in the past 5 years. Don't get me wrong she is very polite, just not to me! LOL Just Kidding!

She was still 4 hours from home. I just thought it was a tad ridiculous. We had a laundry room in our apartment building. Laundry isn't hard to do, so I don't understand why parents don't teach their kids how to do it, especially when they know they are leaving home.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread