+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Advice on child fleeing the nest

Re: Advice on child fleeing the nest

I just sent my daughter a $20 gift card for Subway and another one for Dunkin' Donuts. I remember always being short on cash and this way she can pick up something to eat or drink when she's out.
    Count your blessings!

My daughter wants me to mail her Nanaimo bars even though she is coming home for a visit in a couple of weeks! Yeah, I'll do it It only takes 2 days by mail to get to her so it should be okay. Hey Manny nice digs! My daughter was a little bummed with her room since it is quite far from main. Her friend has a room in what she calls the "Res-mahal". They have brand new desks and computer chairs. Hers came with a beat up desk and a plastic chair Of course she has made a lot of new friends, and now loves it. Even though the room is older she got a single, which I think will be good in the long run. No wacky roommate to deal with.

Manny - I like the water dispenser. Question I see a hot tap, a cold tap, but what is the center one, room temperature?

This is a college dorm gabriel. That's Budweiser.

Ohhhhhhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3195034;
    Even though the room is older she got a single, which I think will be good in the long run. No wacky roommate to deal with.
    Singles are the best. I had a single my sophomore and senior year, and a single within a suite my junior year, and it's so helpful to have a place to go where you don't have to worry about anyone else.

I also felt that when I had a single, I was making more of an effort to go out and do things with people, whereas in a suite or a double, I was less proactive, so that's another benefit.

There were times when I was alone, and there wasn't someone to go do something with, but ultimately I became a lot more comfortable in my own skin, which is the best lesson I could have learned in college--that I could enjoy my own company, and that it wasn't something to be self-conscious about.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 09-10-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Yeah, plus because we were overseas, she attended boarding school for most of high school. She had a roommate for 4 years, and although they got along well, she has been there and done that. It was funny because when she was home and invited for "sleep overs" at friends she would say to me, "Mom, it's really hard. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but all I want to do is sleep in my own bed, in my own room." I think it has made the transition to dorm life easier for her. I saw a lot of crying parents on move in day, but for me I was so happy. For the first time she is only a 3 hour train ride away so I know I'll see her much more often and we talk almost daily.

My son sent two pieces of mail from college but put home for the return address. He forgot to put stamps on them so they ended up here yesterday. I stamped them and sent them along. *sigh* One more service I provide.
    Count your blessings!

That's kind of funny Gut. My daughter is busy giving laundry lessons to the boys on her floor (it's co-ed). Every time I talk to her she seems to have a "laundry date". Somehow I think it is just a line they are using on her, but no, she assures me they really are clueless. One of her other friends (a boy) got a cell phone. "How are you going to pay the bill?" she asked. Him: "I dunno." She helped him get his bank account set up on-line etc. Hopefully she quits being the mom and concentrates on her studies I have a son of my own and I can totally see him not putting on stamps. He's in grade 8 this year and had to set a "goal" for this year. He chose organization. He lost his binder with all of his notebooks 2 days in. TWO DAYS!! Yeah, he found them a day later, but still.

I had done all the laundry a couple of days ago and we were very low on towels. I checked my son's room and found a couple, checked my daughter's room and found a couple but am still missing about 6 or 8 of my nice big towels (bath sheets). I called my son's cell and asked how many towels he took to school and he sheepishly admitted he forgot to bring any. Hmmmm. Now I'm trying to remember if I've seen them since Dan left. He had a thing about nice towels.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread