+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Advice on child fleeing the nest

Re: Advice on child fleeing the nest

Ellen - Great advice, my husband just told me that they decided to ship it.
    Mariner - Wanted to thank you for suggesting Amazon, I used them and it will be delivered on Tuesday.
    canukinchile - Thanks for the advice on the lock, I never even thought about that!

I'd definitely say ship it. With the luggage weight restrictions/cost/abuse these days, I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to fly with something like that. Plus, as Ellen said, any damage is the company's responsibility, while the airlines would just shrug (and probably treat you like a criminal, for kicks). Not that I'm bitter or anything.

I fly out Sunday morning--cue Velvet Underground. Ugh, it feels like last year just ended.

Mantenna - I want to thank you for all of your advice, too. I suggested the water cooler to my daughter and she liked the idea although my husband really doesn't think she could handle the refills. We're going to play that one by ear. I'm really excited but at the same time a little sad. It's going to be quiet around her with just the 3 of us. Four more years and I truly will have an empty nest.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3183135;
    Mantenna - I want to thank you for all of your advice, too. I suggested the water cooler to my daughter and she liked the idea although my husband really doesn't think she could handle the refills. We're going to play that one by ear. I'm really excited but at the same time a little sad. It's going to be quiet around her with just the 3 of us. Four more years and I truly will have an empty nest.
    Don't they have some 2 1/2 gallon jugs instead of the 5 gallon for those coolers?

We're hitting the road too, in about an hour. I think the water cooler is a great idea too, but I am waiting to see the size of the room. My daughter has twice the amount of stuff as her friend (male) to bring. Thank goodness she is on a ground floor.

Well, my daughter must be adjusting fine, she moved in this morning and is already ignoring my husband! Poor guy has to have dinner in Boston all by himself! Thanks for the all the advice regarding shipping her printer. She is in a triple and the other roommates brought theirs and said my daughter could use them but I don't want to cause any problems. My husband supplied the paper and ink so we may not have to ship hers after all. Any thoughts or experiences on sharing printers?

luvsginger, I think your daughter should just have her own printer. That way she'll always have access to it and it will avoid potential problems with the roomies. When I was in college, way back when, there were 4 of us who all shared one typewriter and I vividly remember being the last one to use it and typing research papers at 3:00 a.m.
    On another note, my daughter seems to be loving dorm life and will be starting her part time job at her Uncle's restaurant this coming week. It's great that she'll be earning spending money as long as she can keep her grades up. She has been working summers only for the past two years so we'll see how this goes.
    CYA

Bunny - You know I was thinking it might be a problem. I am going to take your advice and send it. So happy to hear your daughter is doing well! Good for her, she is going to have a great year!

It could work out okay, but maybe not. When my eldest was in first year she had a thumb drive and took it to school and printed stuff off. We finally just got her one, and our second now has her own (but her dorm room is a single). I think in the long run it is better, and they will always have a use for it.

canuckinchile - I agree, thanks. Printers have a habit of jamming so the rommies are good for a backup but you're right, I'll send it to her. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread