+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Advice on child fleeing the nest

Re: Advice on child fleeing the nest

My kids got pasta cookers last Christmas from one of my siblings. The plastic tube you pour boiling water into with the pasta. Not much more than that to it, I don't think. I'll tell you what would make a good dorm gadget is a Magic Bullet. They take up almost no space (if you don't bring the dozen cups they come with) and make great smoothies, salsa, guacamole - all kinds of stuff.
    Count your blessings!

Premium Member

I'm pretty sure I'm getting a Magic Bullet for my birthday, and I was thinking the same thing as far as it being the perfect gadget for my son in college.

My daughter took her magic bullet to the guard shack at work this summer and I finally made her bring it back. I know it's hers, but I want to use it too! Mangos are 59 cents apiece right now. I've been making mango smoothies. Yum! I could see if your kid had one at college, you could send fun recipes and ingredients for care packages. It doesn't make huge quantities which is perfect for dorm life.
    Count your blessings!

I'm very happy to see this thread and will read it top to bottom! FORT comes through again!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I just found out that my daughter is the roommate that is designated to bring a microwave. The school lists says that they have to be 700 watts or less. The Bed Bath and Beyond close to the school only carries an 800 watt microwave. Does anyone know if this is going to be a huge problem? It's really hard to find a 700 watt microwave!

luvsginger,

I went to college in the Boston area and as I remember (because it was a looooong time ago), the tapwater tasted really crappy to a kid that grew up in the Pacific Northwest. That's probably just because our tapwater out here has almost no minerals and is pretty darn soft. I would have loved a watercooler like the one Manny has.

As for the microwave, I'm guessing that the college probably has older dorms where an 800 watt microwave could blow a fuse. I remember my freshman roommates and I losing power when someone was operating a blowdryer, the stereo was playing, and we had an illegal space heater on. I'd take the watt restriction seriously. The last thing you want is for your daughter's microwave to get confiscated. It looks like Amazon and Target both have at least one 700 watt microwave.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Mariner - Thanks for the great advice and thanks for the tips on where to buy a microwave. I know the building that she is moving in to is really old, so you're absolutely right about blowing a fuse. I'm going to Amazon right now. Thanks again.

So, we head off on Saturday with my daughter and a my friend's son. He is flying in on Friday, and we are transporting him and his things as well. I know facebook gets a lot of negs, but I think it has been really helpful to my daughter to connect with her fellow classmates and have a forum for questions. I wish I had that in my pre-historic university days I'm glad to be taking both kids as they are really good friends and it won't be so lonely. From experience I think a couple of the most important things we will bring for move in day are: extra power bars (outlets are sometimes weird depending on the age of the building) and a good tool kit including a drill. We have always installed a computer lock on the side of our kid's desks. Even the most responsible kid will go talk to their neighbour and might not lock their door. Sticky tac is also a good thing to have for putting up posters etc., and it doesn't damage the walls. Good luck to all the parents and students out there!

Well, tomorrow is the big day. My daughter flies across the country tomorrow and flees the nest. They're flying United, the first suitcase checked is $25 and the second is $15. My husband is only taking a carry on as all the bags will be filled with my daughters things. She will pick up her dorm room things in Boston. Any suggestions out there on how to transport her printer? I was thinking of putting her printer in a suitcase padded by clothing. Any thoughts?

For something like a printer, it would be wise to ship it with a reliable pack-and-ship company. It's worth the few extra bucks. They're likely to do a better job of packing, be more careful than airline employees in handling it -- and if there's any damage, it's their fault and covered by the shipping company's guarantee and/or insurance.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread