+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Advice on child fleeing the nest

Re: Advice on child fleeing the nest

Ah, this was the thread I was searching for, I was actually thinking of beginning a new thread for parents of college bound kids. My daughter leaves on the 30th for a school that is 3000 miles away! Unlike Bunny's daughter, my daughter is procrastinating and hasn't packed a thing. I posted this on another thread but Bed Bath and Beyond has a great program called Pack and Go. You shop at the store close to home and it's all waiting for you at the store closest to the college. You are not obligated to buy anything, but at least you have everything you shopped for and you don't have to ship it. I have a son who will be a freshman in high school so in 4 years I will be going through the same thing, I told him he had to stay in California!

Mantenna What a great idea! Where did you get the water cooler? Do they sell them or do you have to order them through a service?

Quote Originally Posted by chitex3;3173116;
    This site is what I need today. I have one that went to college in '03, and is finished now, and survived. Now I have two leaving tomorrow, different schools, and I'm feeling all sorts of things. They're asleep now, and I feel like they are little girls all over again. Still have one a senior in high schools, as of Monday! All girls! I've done this as a single parent for the past 12 years, with a very involved ex-husband!

Wow, I'm feeling down! Yes, I work, teach high school, off until after Labor Day. Any advice?
    Sounds like you and I are in the same boat! I'm a single mom with one out of college, one a jr. in college, and the youngest a senior in HS. So next year is really empty nest for me. I went on amazon to see what books they had about empty nests and they all mentioned revitalizing your marriage. :eyerollsmileythatnolongerexis ts Luckily, the one at home is mostly wonderful and we plan to enjoy this last year together. I am starting to methodically get rid of STUFF in the anticipation of downsizing to a smaller house (or move to my mom's) when they're all gone.
    Count your blessings!

Luvsginger, I got mine at a hardware store (one comparable to Lowe's), but you can also get them at Target and places like that. This isn't the exact one, but it's something like this:

We took it off the bottom stand and set it up on top of the refrigerator. As far as refilling it, we just go to the grocery store, get refills on the gallon jugs of purified water, and dump it in with great ceremony.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by chitex3;3173116;
    This site is what I need today. I have one that went to college in '03, and is finished now, and survived. Now I have two leaving tomorrow, different schools, and I'm feeling all sorts of things. They're asleep now, and I feel like they are little girls all over again. Still have one a senior in high schools, as of Monday! All girls! I've done this as a single parent for the past 12 years, with a very involved ex-husband!

Wow, I'm feeling down! Yes, I work, teach high school, off until after Labor Day. Any advice?
    I know just what you mean. I just moved my youngest (22) son into a house for his last year of college. The only thing that has made me nervous is that he's moving in with a complete stranger he found in a roommate search on the internet. I think it will be fine now that I've met her, but I'm still a little nervous about it. The hardest thing about being a parent is stepping back and letting them make their own mistakes, so hopefully this isn't one of those times.

It's still a lot harder this time because he's a 5th year senior so I'm pretty sure the moving out is for good this time. I was out in the driveway the other day and the neighbor's grade-school age boy came home and was yelling "Mom!" and it almost made me cry because I miss having little boys at home. It's kind of bittersweet, because I'm happy that he's so excited about the future, but sad that he's grown up now and I will never get those years back. Mantenna's mom is very wise, and she's right that it really does get easier, so just hang in there.

The suggestion of a sewing kit really is a good one-- my mom put one together for me when I went off to school, and I've kept it with me since then and I've gotten some great use out of it. And Gut is right, packages and mail are the greatest things in the world to college students.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;3174233;
    We took it off the bottom stand and set it up on top of the refrigerator. As far as refilling it, we just go to the grocery store, get refills on the gallon jugs of purified water, and dump it in with great ceremony.
    I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, but I've never been responsible for replacing the big bottle, so I have absolutely no idea-- how do you put the bottle on the stand and get the cap off without getting water absolutely everywhere? I always assumed you had to take the cap off first, and then flip it over, but how does that work?

I had that type of water stand for years while we lived in South America (just to be sure and avoid sickness) I used to clean off the top to get rid of the dirt or dust and then you just put the water on cap and all and the weight of the bottle punctures it when you set it on top. Sometimes there is a small little plastic tab to take off but the water bottle remains sealed so you don't have a flood.

Ooh, you've got the fancy kind, Canuckie. It goes a bit differently for us.

Missyboxers, you literally just have to take off the cap, line it up carefully, and just slam it on as quickly as possible. Not the most elegant process, but that's the way you do it. We definitely had some water spillage the first few times, but we eventually got the hang of it. (I still would not recommend having it next to all your electronics.)

I should also clarify that we have it on top of a mini refrigerator.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;3174233;
    Luvsginger, I got mine at a hardware store (one comparable to Lowe's), but you can also get them at Target and places like that. This isn't the exact one, but it's something like this:
    Thanks Mantenna....I think this is a great idea, I looked online for a few and they are inexpensive, we just have to make sure there is room in the dorm. She is in a triple this year so it will be crowded.
    Does anyone out there know how the tap water in Boston is? The tap water here in SF is great, we're spoiled by it.

I was just going over the university check list today, and a couple of things mentioned (and it would totally depend of location) that seemed like a good idea: a small humidifier during the winter months if the climate is cold and dry (read: most of Canada), and a fan for the early fall and late spring when the temps can really climb and the upper dorm floors get really warm.

Lois Lane posted over in the Recipes thread that her parents gave each of the kids a small rice cooker when they went to college. What a great idea, they're inexpensive and don't take up much space. All you need is rice and water, maybe a little soy or teriyaki sauce and wella......

Thanks Lois!

+ Reply to Thread