+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on child fleeing the nest

Re: Advice on child fleeing the nest

My step daughter is moving out of state to go to college next month. Mr buglover is so freaked out by her being away from both parents but she's in good hands. Her dorm has a mother and they provide meals and curfew, etc. She won't even be 18 until November so it's even more scary!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Bug, she will do great. When I started undergrad, I was also 17 when I moved out and into the dorm. I turned 18 about a month and half after being in school. I never had any problems because I was younger, those more came when I got a little older and most of my friends were 21 and could go to the bars and I couldn't.

I have complete faith in her with regards to doing things she shouldn't. The one thing that she may have issues with is completing her work. She does tend to procrastinate alot.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I just reread all the pages here and didn't see earplugs mentioned. The little cheap foam ones you can get at any drug store. My daughter had a roommate who didn't go to bed as early as my daughter did and my daughter really needed her sleep because she was learning to fly airplanes. My nephew was just deposited for the first time at his college this past weekend so I need to send him a care package. Make sure you e-mail your child's address to all your extended family. Getting mail/care packages really is a big deal.
    Count your blessings!

I'm moving 2 to separate universities over the next couple of weeks Lots of good reminders in these posts. Also, if you are considering care packages, but live really far away, most universities have some sort of care package program and the money goes to a good cause. They'll deliver them and know the local bakeries etc. For anyone moving coast to coast, we used a shipping company (Purolator I believe) and sending 8 rough totes with over 200 pounds of stuff was $150.00 and took 5 days door to door. Not too bad I thought.

Well this is my daughter's last night at home before she takes off for college in Miami. Of course she's not home as she had to get in one last night with her friends. I'm anticipating a long night waiting for her but I'll stay awake as long as I can. She's been packed and ready to go for months and I can't really say that I blame her. She's already got friends and family down there and even has a job lined up at her Uncle's restaurant. I'm excited for her but I can't imagine this house without her.
    CYA

It's a tough adjustment at first Bunny. Make plans, and try to keep busy. Also, don't be surprised if your first few e-mails only get really short replies. Exciting as it is, it is an adjustment for them too and a lot of things to get organized in the beginning. I am going to go put together a small sewing kit, and a little tool box for my girls today. I think those are excellent ideas. One of my girls is relatively close (under an hour) and is sharing a house with 5 girls, so I loaded her up with Costco-sized amounts of the spray on tilex that you spray after every shower.

FORT Fanatic

This site is what I need today. I have one that went to college in '03, and is finished now, and survived. Now I have two leaving tomorrow, different schools, and I'm feeling all sorts of things. They're asleep now, and I feel like they are little girls all over again. Still have one a senior in high schools, as of Monday! All girls! I've done this as a single parent for the past 12 years, with a very involved ex-husband!

Wow, I'm feeling down! Yes, I work, teach high school, off until after Labor Day. Any advice?

chitex3, I will only have my 13 year old son at home when the girls leave. Congrats on doing such a fine job as a single mother, you should be proud. I don't have any wonderful words of wisdom (I'm kind of feeling the same way as you are) but I am already making plans for a weekend at home for them. Don't know if that is feasible for you

Aww, Chitex3, I know moms have a hard time with this sort of thing, and I initially had a hard time leaving, too. But, I can offer some small encouragement, as my mom says it gets a lot better over time. And, certainly, with holidays and such, everyone will probably be together again soon.

I am going to go put together a small sewing kit, and a little tool box for my girls today.
    Canuckie, that's a great idea. Out of my roomates, I've been the only person to bring a tool-box to school, and it's come in handy many a time. I'm not so great with the sewing thing, but I have a sewing kit for emergencies, too.

Oh, also, I have to share the most helpful and valuable thing I've had for my dorm--a compact, 5-gallon water cooler. The water at school tastes like blood, and we would always be running out of drinks in the refrigerator, so that thing was wonderful. It has hot and cold dispensers, so it was easy to make ramen, tea, and what-have-you, and you could also get up in the middle of the night and get a drink without having to walk down to a vending machine. (And, therefore, not have to suffer the personal standards degradation of scavenging the laundry room floor for spare quarters.)
    Last edited by Mantenna; 08-22-2008 at 06:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread