+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on child fleeing the nest

This is a great thread. It brings back memories of when I initially left home for college, but I was only 90 miles away from home and was able to load my stuff into the car. But now that I'll be moving across the country in a few months, I'm trying to figure out how little I can bring, especially since I don't know where I'm living yet. I'm getting great pieces of info from here.

But enough about me. Rose, best wishes to you and your daughter.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana
    that. I actually signed his diploma a week or so ago (since I am on the school board) and will be presenting it to him on stage. I hope I don't embarass him (or the rest of the family) with my emotional outburst.
    That is so cool, talk about a bird's eye view of the festivities. Great memories for both of you too.

We dropped our daughter off 2,000 miles away at her university last week. We stayed four days assembling bookcases, unpacking boxes, helping her arrange her things, and buying, buying, buying organizers, etc. So far, she loves her roommate, her classes...everything about college life (I realize this could suddenly change at any time ), and we all feel she is in the exact place she was meant to be. She wants to be a print reporter, and got the opportunity to report on a strong-man competition being held in town the day before school started. She called us a few nights ago to give us the news her story was used...she was so excited.

So, I just wanted to thank each and every one of you for all your wonderful advice. These are for you:

Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    rosekid, that is great news, hope the year continues to be as exciting for her and you

Awwww...roseskid, what great news! How wonderful for her to have settled in and feel that she's right where she needs to be. Too many times going away to school can be a scary, uncomfortable place for a little while.

And congrats to her on her first of many important articles!!! She's as talented as her momma, obviously!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Great news Roses! How are you doing? Is it a bit quiet around the house?

Don't forget to e-mail her every day. She is more likely to hit "reply" and fill you in than if she has to think of writing you on her own. Time for a box of goodies! Go to the dollar store and see what you can find. It doesn't have to be much, but getting a box from home is very exciting.
    Count your blessings!

I just signed up for "skype"....and I am not an owner in the company or anything (lol) but the sound quality is great!! If you live far away, it sure beats long distance phone calls if you both have computers with cheap internet connections. I am having a lot of fun with this, talking to scattered friends all over the world.

Roses, I'm glad to hear that your daughter is doing well so far. It always helps to have a good roommate that she gets along with. And congrats on her story getting used!

Re: Advice on child fleeing the nest

Bumping this for parents of new college students. A lot of good info.
    Thanks Montenna for finding it!
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread