+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I bought a boat

Congrats John! Boating is such an excellent way to get away from it all. Not that you would ever want to get away from us! NICE boat!!!!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

From one boat owner to another - CONGRATS, John!! There's no better feeling than being out on the open water with a cooler full of beer and/or margaritas, with nothing better to do than just relax and enjoy!!

Just remember that when you rename her, there is a denaming ceremony, as well as a renaming ceremony to follow! According to legend, each vessel is recorded by name in the Ledger of the Deep and is known personally to Poseidon, or Neptune, the God of the Sea. If proper procedures are not followed when renaming a vessel, it can result in bad luck.

Is there any truth to this legend? Who knows . . . but since both ceremonies involve drinking champagne, why not go for it!!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey
    Just remember that when you rename her, there is a denaming ceremony, as well as a renaming ceremony to follow! According to legend, each vessel is recorded by name in the Ledger of the Deep and is known personally to Poseidon, or Neptune, the God of the Sea. If proper procedures are not followed when renaming a vessel, it can result in bad luck.

Is there any truth to this legend? Who knows . . . but since both ceremonies involve drinking champagne, why not go for it!!
    Wow - I had never heard that-very interesting.
    While floating down the Indian River in northern Michigan, several folks had these little hibachi grills that clipped onto the side of their boat. They grilled while floating leisurely, and it looked like a fun time. I don't think it would work while dragging skiers, but for a relaxing stroll, it might be an enjoyable item.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana
    Wow - I had never heard that-very interesting.
    While floating down the Indian River in northern Michigan, several folks had these little hibachi grills that clipped onto the side of their boat. They grilled while floating leisurely, and it looked like a fun time. I don't think it would work while dragging skiers, but for a relaxing stroll, it might be an enjoyable item.
    We have one of those grills, Ana - they're great! It's especially fun on low-wind days (since we have a sailboat), to anchor out, let the kids jump in the lake to swim, while we're grilling up lunch or dinner on the boat!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

I know it's bad luck to rename a boat, but I didn't know you could change that by holding a ceremony

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I know it's bad luck to rename a boat, but I didn't know you could change that by holding a ceremony
    Here's the ceremony for you Captain! *salutes Cap'n John, does an about face and marches off*

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    Here's the ceremony for you Captain! *salutes Cap'n John, does an about face and marches off*
    Day-um. I just finished reading all that. I think I'd rather take my chances that the boat will be struck by lightning or run aground.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    Yep, that's the one, Unk! We renamed our boat after we got her because her name was just awful, and, so far, so good!

As long as we're all quoting song lyrics.......
    A Bobby Darin song from LOST and The X-Files:

Somewhere beyond the sea
    Somewhere waiting for me
    My lover stands on golden sands
    And watches the ships that go sailing

Somewhere beyond the sea
    She's there watching for me
    If I could fly like birds on high
    Then straight to her arms, I'd go sailing

It's far beyond the stars
    It's near beyond the moon
    I know beyond a doubt
    My heart will lead me there soon

We'll meet beyond the shore
    We'll kiss just as before
    Happy we'll be beyond the sea
    And never again I'll go sailing

I know beyond a doubt
    My heart will lead me there soon
    We'll meet (I know we'll meet) beyond the shore
    We'll kiss just as before
    Happy we'll be beyond the sea
    And never again I'll go sailing

No more sailing
    So long sailing
    Bye bye sailing...
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Why was I when I went to the link about boat renaming?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast