+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vonage (or other VOIP products)

Vonage (or other VOIP products)

I finally took the plunge, and signed up for Vonage phone service for our new house.

For those of you who haven't heard of it, it's a little adapter for your high-speed internet connection, with 2 phone jacks on it. You sign up for the service, they send you the adapter, you plug it in, and you have a phone number that sends/receives over the internet, but otherwise works exactly like your current phone (and in fact, you use your regular phones with it, including cordless if you prefer).

For unlimited minutes nationwide, it's $24.99 a month, and that includes caller ID, call waiting, voicemail, 3-way calling, etc. And that's all free as well. The other cool feature is, you can select a phone number in any area code/prefix that they service, so if you're in Iowa, and you want a New York City phone number, you can have it. And then, when people call you from New York City, it's a local call to them.

One other neat trick about Vonage. You can plug the adapter into a phone jack, disconnect the wires at your junction box, and then you can use any jack in your house to plug your phones into.

Has anyone else jumped on the bandwagon?
    Last edited by John; 05-01-2006 at 09:39 PM.

It's definitely starting to get popular. You are the 4th person I know of that has switched and they all like it. Last year a buddy of mine tried another VOIP and didn't like it because of static and disconnect issues. Sounds like Vonage has taken the glitches found in other VOIP's and cleaned it up. How is the clarity?
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I've been on the Vonage bandwagon for about six months now - and it's been great! In the beginning we had several problems with the quality of the call, but I think they were just getting the bugs worked out, as we haven't had any problems for several months, now.

One feature that I particularly love is the "call forward" feature. Hubby and I both work from home, and I love the fact that I can have my calls forwarded to my cell phone should we lose our Internet service service for whatever reason (upgrades or outages in our area) . . . . all of my work calls are then automatically forwarded to my cell phone. Also, when we go out of town, we can just go online to our Vonage account and have all of our home calls forwarded to our cell while we are gone.

The other thing I really like is the fact that my voicemail messages are also sent to me via e-mail, and I can listen to them on my e-mail. Again, very helpful when traveling and I don't want to have to call into either my home or work phone . . .I just just check e-mail and listen to my voicemail.

For anyone who gets Vonage, or any other Internet VOIP, be sure to call them and set up your 911 service!!! VERY IMPORTANT!!! It's a very simple process, but if you ever have to call 911 from your VOIP phone, you want to know that emergency services knows where to find you!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

The clarity, so far, seems good Speedy. You can select how much bandwidth to use for your calls, which will affect the clarity, but allows you to downgrade if you have problems surfing while talking.

Uh-huh..yeah..riiiight... Warhol's Avatar
    As a total gadget-head, I've been tempted to join the VOIP party for quite some time. The portability of both the phone number and the service (being able to connect the adapter to any cable modem anywhere to make/receive calls at "home") is appealing. As is the price structure. However, I haven't done it because of my hesitations about being so dependent on cable service. Namely, I don't like the idea of losing telephone service if either the cable goes down or the power goes out....thus leaving only not-so-reliable mobile phone service to fall back on.

What do you guys think about this?

Warhol, I work from home, and use the phone a LOT. The automatic failover that Vonage provides is a good option - if it goes out, it will auto-forward to whatever other number you want, until it's back up again.

I didn't know about that service, John. It sounds promising.

By the way, how is the tax & fee situation with VOIP? Right now my completely stripped-down landline service (no LD at all) still costs about $25 a month due to both taxes and all of the profit-padding that Qwest throws on there. It sure would be nice to actually get something for my (admittedly small sum of) money....

By the way, John, thank you for all of your efforts of late to repeatedly recover this site.

And, as a sidenote, I find it kind of humorous that even your posts contain the "report bad post" icon.....

It looks like it's $28.14 per month with all taxes & fees, for unlimited LD. They have a $14.99 plan where you get 500 minutes/month LD, so I'm sure that would also run about $3.20 extra.

There's also a $29.99 one-time activation fee, and a $9.99 s&h charge on the adapter they send you (for free). You could also just buy one locally and not use theirs. My first invoice came to $68.08, and the rest will be $28.14.

I use Lingo for $19.99 a month. Same services are included. I've had them for about seven months now. I love their unlimited long-distance because everyone I call is long-distance. However, they DO have some disconnect issues that they are working out. They are a smaller company so I'm giving them a few more months to work out the kinks. I might switch to Vonage if they don't get them fixed.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast