+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vonage (or other VOIP products)

What are the international call fees like? Would it be worth it? My phone bills are horrendous since I have kids in Canada....

We use VOIP here in my office. Literally with it, or with most of the Residential offerings, its as simple as picking up the phone and dialing.

By and large, the quality is good, although there are times where I've heard a little latency (ends up sounding like an echo), and occasionally some dropouts (similar to a cell phone).

My wife and I are seriously looking at Speakeasy's service, since most of our long-distance is International, and while it is unlimited in the US (and canada) the International rates are far cheaper than the normal POTS line.

At the moment, we are poo-pooing the idea for now, since we'd have to get some kind of broadband service, and we are not yet willing to shell out another 40 or so dollars a month on it.

(On Edit) and BTW, Almost all VOIP services allow calls to 911, Some also do that fancy sounding enhanced 911 services (whatever that means) as well. However, for those of you that live in areas affected by power outages, the one concern I'd have is that you might lose phone service when your power goes out.... my solution: Get an Uninterruptable Power Supply(UPS) for your VOIP box. It can be found at most of your big box computer stores, and will cost you about $100 for a decent one, but will pay for itself if you lose power.
    Last edited by senrik; 05-10-2005 at 12:13 PM.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Canuck, you could sign up, and have a "local" Canadian phone number, so when your kids call you, it's a local call (or a local province call, depending on how far they're spread out from one area). For CAD $39.99 you can get unlimited US & Canada calling, or for CAD $34.99 you can get unlimited calling in a single province.

Overall, I think it's a pretty decent deal.

Hmmm....is the service offered in Chile? Or even Canada? Not sure.

On the bright side....seek and you shall find! I just found out how to connect the VoIP telephone adapter to my already installed "landline" phone lines!!(there was a "how to" document on the Callvantage website) And to BravoFan and all DirecTv users....that is what you would want to do if you wanted to keep your DTV boxes hooked up to the phone!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile
    What are the international call fees like? Would it be worth it? My phone bills are horrendous since I have kids in Canada....
    8 cents a minute, unless they are calling you on the cell, then its 28 cents a minute.
    Source: Vonage (Canada)
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Thanks...I will look into it. They are in boarding school with pretty heavy firewalls on their computers (school looking after teens...who can blame?) but I have one heading out to university so it is a good option to the cell phone I now pay for....and she never seems to have turned on!

Uh-huh..yeah..riiiight... Warhol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sher
    i know my boyfriend using a mic to talk to people online, like when they play games or something, so they don't have to type. that's not the same thing, is it? this is something you have to sign up for... but if you don't call the phone company to do it, who do you call? please forgive my ignorance.
    The talking with friends that your boyfriend does on the internet and VOIP service are actually almost identical technologies. The difference is in how those technologies are applied.

Skipping over all of the technobabble......basic voice communication on the internet (what your bf does) is essentially limited to connecting people that are logged onto the internet -- computer to computer. It generally doesn't allow you to call anyone outside of that realm.

VOIP, on the other hand, is specifically designed to allow you call people outside of that realm, because it takes the same underlying technology and physically plugs it into the traditional telephone system. Thus, VOIP service -- which uses a regular telephone with a regular telephone number -- allows you to make and receive calls to and from regular, everyday landline telephones via the internet at greatly reduced prices.

As for who you call to sign up for it.....there are many service providers. Ironically, AT&T is now one of the biggest providers of this non-traditional phone service. And, of course, the focus of this thread, Vonage, is another large provider. And many internet providers, such as Earthlink, also sell the service (usually as a representative for someone else). So you have a lot of options.

It IS kinda ironic that AT&T is one of the larger providers of VoIP. Even moreso that this is seemingly AT&T's last gasp. Their Cellular unit was sucked up by Cingular and Long distance is now everyone BUT AT&T.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

The rest of AT&T will likely be bought by SBC shortly, after which SBC will change their name to AT&T. At least, those are the rumors I've heard.

Well, after much searching this doesn't do me any good. I don't have an option of having broadband out here where we live.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast