+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vonage (or other VOIP products)

I have AT&T Callvantage. I really like it. However, I wish my TA worked like the one John described. I would really like to be able to plug it into a phone jack and use the other jacks in my house. With this one, we use cordless phones that are plugged directly into the TA.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I was looking into Vonage. I stopped when one of our state represenatives sued Vonage over the 911 thing. Said they were misleading people and not telling them that when they signed up for Vonage they didn't have 911 service.

Anyway, for someone like me what package would I use? Here is what I have now...
    Dial up connection to Internet. $10
    Sage phone service. 2 lines @ $79 a month with Call ID, Call waiting, Call Waiting Caller ID and 100 minutes of free long distance. I have 2 lines so I can surf and talk at the same time.
    Most of my calling (99%) is local.
    Nextel cell phone
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Uh-huh..yeah..riiiight... Warhol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melitta
    I was looking into Vonage. I stopped when one of our state represenatives sued Vonage over the 911 thing. Said they were misleading people and not telling them that when they signed up for Vonage they didn't have 911 service.

Anyway, for someone like me what package would I use? Here is what I have now...
    Dial up connection to Internet. $10
    Sage phone service. 2 lines @ $79 a month with Call ID, Call waiting, Call Waiting Caller ID and 100 minutes of free long distance. I have 2 lines so I can surf and talk at the same time.
    Most of my calling (99%) is local.
    Nextel cell phone
    If my estimate is correct, that would mean that you are paying between $120 and $130 (+tax) for everything including cell service.......which is quite expensive for what you are getting.

For between $30 and $40/month, you can get a broadband internet connection, which gives you a faster connection and eliminates the need for one of your phones lines. For another $30 or $40/month, you should be able to get basic landline telephone service with plenty of extras (call waiting, caller ID, etc.). And, of course, cell phone service that includes long distance, roaming, and lots of N&W minutes shouldn't cost any more than either of the above items. So, for roughly the same overall cost to you, you should be able to get improved overall service. And the cost only goes down if you replace the landline service altogether with a VOIP service such as Vonage.

I have been following along with this thread as I am considering Vonage. I know quite a lot of Vonage users in the area and they are satisfied with the service! Thanks for the info!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I've wanted to take the plunge forever, but we have DirecTV with Tivo and I am not willing to part with my Tivo that requires the daily call in.

I understand that if you have a Series 2 there is a way to get around this, but that requires upgrading our receiver...which I'm not ready to do quite yet.

Anyone have DirecTV with Tivo and also switch to VOIP successfully?
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

i truly feel confused as i've never even heard the word voip before today.

Uh-huh..yeah..riiiight... Warhol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sher
    i truly feel confused as i've never even heard the word voip before today.
    It's just shorthand for a piece of jargon: Voice Over Internet Protocol......which essentially just means telephone service that connects through a cable modem or DSL (broadband) instead of the more traditional wired system of a local telephone company.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhol
    If my estimate is correct, that would mean that you are paying between $120 and $130 (+tax) for everything including cell service.......which is quite expensive for what you are getting.

For between $30 and $40/month, you can get a broadband internet connection, which gives you a faster connection and eliminates the need for one of your phones lines. For another $30 or $40/month, you should be able to get basic landline telephone service with plenty of extras (call waiting, caller ID, etc.). And, of course, cell phone service that includes long distance, roaming, and lots of N&W minutes shouldn't cost any more than either of the above items. So, for roughly the same overall cost to you, you should be able to get improved overall service. And the cost only goes down if you replace the landline service altogether with a VOIP service such as Vonage.
    I have figured out that I can save about $30 a month if I switch, but I am in the same boat as Bravofan, we also have Directv and must keep the receiver connected to a land line. In order for me to save money, I would need to get rid of my land line altogether. I can always use the cell phone if a power outage occurs.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

i know my boyfriend using a mic to talk to people online, like when they play games or something, so they don't have to type. that's not the same thing, is it? this is something you have to sign up for... but if you don't call the phone company to do it, who do you call? please forgive my ignorance.

Sher, it's actually really easy. Do you already have broadband internet? That is the one requirement to get Vonage/ATT Callvantage/VoIP. You call them, and they walk you through the whole process. The company you sign up with sends you a box that you have to hook up between your broadband modem and either your Linksys or your computer(they provide a very easy to read "how to hook it up" schematic with the box). I was even able to keep my "landline" phone number. And 911 DOES work with my box.

For those of you with DirecTv.....even with Tivo, I am pretty sure you don't need a land line connected at all times. However, even if you do, I am pretty sure you can connect the VoIP adapter box up to your DirecTv box, and it should work fine.

I am curious about how to hook the VoIP adapter into my regular household phone lines. John mentioned the ability to do that, but I haven't seen anything in my documentation that says I can do that.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast