+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 284 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475115165 ... LastLast

Thread: Relationship Challenged

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    Then again, there is something to be said for companionship and knowing someone has your back... or was that sleeping with your best friend behind your back. Oops! sorry. Didn't meant to say that out loud.
    Ack! That's a nasty situation!

When I met my husband, he & I were both recuperating from very bad relationship experiences. For me, it was an ex-fiancee who turned into a video gaming couch potato and refused to look for a job. For him, his girlfriend was seeing other people but still expected him to live with her and take care of their child. Pretty messed up...

Funny thing was, neither of us was looking for a relationship. We became friends, and within a few months we realised we felt a lot more than friendship. So, we threw our caution out the window and took the plunge.

I really do think there's someone out there for everyone. It just might take a while, not to mention going through horrible relationships, to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by yes said
    I really do think there's someone out there for everyone. It just might take a while, not to mention going through horrible relationships, to find them.
    Good thought, and then there are those like me, who are fine living alone, I really do not need people that much. I knew from a very young age that I was better by myself. (selfish again) Share my life with 2 felines, there is nothing better than looking in those faces and seeing complete trust. (Joey sleeps with his head in my hand sometimes snoring away.) I have had relationships, mostly good, one lousy, but the realization of doing everything for me is just what is my life.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    Good thought, and then there are those like me, who are fine living alone, I really do not need people that much. I knew from a very young age that I was better by myself. (selfish again) Share my life with 2 felines, there is nothing better than looking in those faces and seeing complete trust. (Joey sleeps with his head in my hand sometimes snoring away.) I have had relationships, mostly good, one lousy, but the realization of doing everything for me is just what is my life.
    I don't think you're selfish at all. There are some people, like yourself, who feel fine on their own. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Where is it written that everyone must find someone? It isn't! Though, those people who sell relationship self-help books would have you think that.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Okay....here's where we are now. First - I haven't dated since my divorce either. We split up three years ago. I love being single, too - hence the apathy.

So "heart surgery guy" is still around, but seems a bit dominating, which is directly related to the culture here, so I don't blame him, but I don't want to be around that, either.

Then I spend five stinkin' hours on the phone last night with another fella. (what am I thinking????) It was a bit long for my taste. So he calls and wakes me up this morning - I didn't answer, but listened to the message. He wants to meet to see if there is a physical attraction before he gets further involved in the relationship. Ummm....relationship? After a couple of emails and one phone call? Slow down pal. I turn on the computer and I'm barraged with more emails. (*picture JD running away like her hair is on fire*)

You know when you get a piece of cellophane that is all charged up with static electricity on you and you can't shake it off? And when you finally do - you run away so it doesn't stick to another part of your body? Yep, that's exactly how I feel. **crunching on cereal out of the box, sitting around in not the most flattering outfit ever** I love my fort friends. You guys rock!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    ooops - not that I want a relationship with you guys or anything....

*Hands JD the box of banana nut crunch*
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Yikes J.D.! Unfortunately, I know exactly what you mean! I met a guy online who, when I didn't email back in one day, started a barrage of emails (8 in 3 days), each one deciding I hadn't written him back for a different reason. Um, dude, I wasn't home. Freak

My problem is this: All these people in my life think I should be dating my friend's brother and I don't want to! The main issue is that he is Mormon, I am not and I won't convert for anyone. Even if he wasn't of a different faith, I don't find him attractive in that way AND he is way too conservative for me. I like him as a friend and am able to put his beliefs aside (mainly because he knows enough not to bring them up around me) and have fun when we hang out (always with other people). We do have a lot of fun together and I like him, but not in that way. Even my mother likes him and keeps trying to make me think about it - even though she said "I'm not NOT coming to your wedding" (only Mormons can attend a wedding in a Mormon temple). ARGH! I don't want to hurt his feelings by saying anything because I think he gets it, but I'm so annoyed. I'm tired of my friend joking with me saying "You should marry my brother!" when she knows that I NEVER would.

I'm a long-time singleton and I'm happy with it too. I do want to meet someone and eventually settle down, but I don't feel an urgency about it and I certainly won't settle, just to get married. The guy I marry will have to deal with the fact that, sometimes, I eat dinner at 10 p.m. just because I forgot to do it earlier, and that the cats DO sleep on the bed, and that I retain sole possession of the remote control.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I'm a long-time singleton and I'm happy with it too. I do want to meet someone and eventually settle down, but I don't feel an urgency about it and I certainly won't settle, just to get married. The guy I marry will have to deal with the fact that, sometimes, I eat dinner at 10 p.m. just because I forgot to do it earlier, and that the cats DO sleep on the bed, and that I retain sole possession of the remote control.
    Stamps feet in agreement - *here here** and the cats DO sleep on the bed..... some nights Daddy has to sleep on the futon because a 9 pound tabby and a 17 pound black & white are S T R E T C H E D out on the QUEEN size bed and Daddy says the heck with it...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    I always thought I was one a few that did all things you posted above. I would like to add also, you can come and go as you please, I feel less inhibited about working extra hours if I want to or just laying around, than when I had the alkie ball & chain which also drained me financially. One of the few reasons I don't travel is A - I don't want to, I like staying home, and B - Mona & Joey even though they are felines, they CANNOT be cared for the way I DO by anyone else. - Excellent post Jennifer-
    Oh, I don't actually DO those things. I was just saying that if you are single and a freak, you might.

I agree with you about coming and going, but it is a little different for women. I went away for a weekend without telling anyone and a lady I know was worried about me. Also, I don't feel entirely safe coming home too late. But, yeah, I can stay at work later or impulsively go somewhere without "calling in".

And, all kidding aside, your post was excellent, too.

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferInCO
    Guess who I had lunch with- alone- today?
    Congratulations Jennifer. Good luck and, even though I know you are staying cool about it, I hope this is the beginning of something beautiful!!!!

+ Reply to Thread