+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 284 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950515292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Relationship Challenged

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    Ah, but that's my whole gimmick. Most of my humor revolves around making fun of myself. After all, if you can't laugh at yourself, you can't laugh at anything else and you won't really enjoy life.

Looks like I'll have to find another gimmick, then.

I guess I COULD always pick up high school girls (since I look way younger than I am). But (probably luckily for me?) there aren't any interested... and they play too many damn games.
    Oh please, dear Lord, YA... tell me you're joking about the high school girls?

YA... there's a difference between laughing at yourself for something that you've actually done in front of your date (that shows a good sense of self and humor) and voluntarily offering to your date all of the stupid things that you've done in the past. You're not a stupid guy... so don't put that out there because that's the appearance you'd be giving a woman.

As J.D. said... just be yourself. Be lighthearted and interested, but don't give the girl the third degree. Even if you have a set description of your ideal woman in mind... don't put that out there in your profile. And for a first date, pick an activity that you enjoy doing and do well... and then let your actions speak for themselves. It makes for a comfortable atmosphere where you just naturally learn about each other.

Good luck!!!!

And last but not least, do everything in your power to avoid the "what do you look for in a relationship/ woman" question. Oh boy, I've gone down hard in flames trying to weasle out of that one.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    And last but not least, do everything in your power to avoid the "what do you look for in a relationship/ woman" question. Oh boy, I've gone down hard in flames trying to weasle out of that one.
    Speedy, don't you know that is something we NEED to know? We assume all you want is one thing, so it's nice to hear if it's really another.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Where's a weasel smilie when we need one? You might as well just lay down on the ground and live up to your name if you can't answer that question smoothly.

A simple "I'm looking for a woman with whom I can be comfortable, laugh, and have a good time." The minute you get into a physical description, you're dead meat, mister! :nono

Quote Originally Posted by igotasenseofhumor
    We assume all you want is one thing, so it's nice to hear if it's really another.
    Yeah, but we don't actually BELIEVE them when they say it's another, do we????

Quote Originally Posted by Igotalife
    Speedy, don't you know that is something we NEED to know? We assume all you want is one thing, so it's nice to hear if it's really another.

For me, I hate getting pinned down to say specifics about what I look for. Of course I want the usual: laughter, love, good lasagna. However, I get a little freaked out when such personal questions are asked on the first date. I don't want to say what I'm looking for on the first date because I don't want her to be self-conscious or try to act like the perfect person. Chances are, if we're going on a second date, then she already has 90% of what I'm looking for.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

MIA, RIP, or Busy...

Of course I want the usual: laughter, love, good lasagna.
    See, I knew it. All you are after is one thing...

Seriously though, I agree with you...the first date is not the time to discuss deep stuff like that...it should be more about "do you like meat on your lasagna?"
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Re: self-deprecating humor

It's all fine and good to laugh at yourself for doing something embarassing or silly, but to put yourself down is another matter. You should never say anything about yourself that you wouldn't say to a friend about them, whether it is a joke or not.

The way I see it is, if you don't like you, why should I like you? Would you buy a car from a salesman that said, "You should buy this car. It doesn't run that great, and its not especially sharp-looking. And the mileage pretty much sucks, too. Personally, I'd rather have that one over there, but I think you should buy this one." You have to believe in your product. Everyone has something good to offer. Figure out what your selling point is.

If you can't help but put yourself down, then you need to figure out what it is that you don't like about yourself and either A)change it, or B) learn to love it, or at least accept it. Truly accept it, don't just pretend to.

Just my two cents.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

So.... how DO you get out of that one? I've found the over-agressive, I'm-already-in-love-with-you-let's-get-married-and-have-nine-kids line works wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    So.... how DO you get out of that one? I've found the over-agressive, I'm-already-in-love-with-you-let's-get-married-and-have-nine-kids line works wonders.
    *Gets cold chills, dry mouth, breaks out in hives and runs like hell just hearing that again*

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    *Gets cold chills, dry mouth, breaks out in hives and runs like hell just hearing that again*

C'mere lil guy, I've got candy! Do ya like Skittles?

+ Reply to Thread