+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instant Messenger Question

Instant Messenger Question

This question is for people that have AOL. I have a few questions about instant messenger, and since I dont have AOL, I'm wondering if the instant messenger system is the same. Can AOL users make themselves "invisible" while using AIM.
    Let's say you don't know my screen name, however I enter your screenname in my buddy list. Are you able to tell that I have added you to my buddy list?
    I hope I have explained myself clear enough.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ProbablyBaby
    This question is for people that have AOL. I have a few questions about instant messenger, and since I dont have AOL, I'm wondering if the instant messenger system is the same. Can AOL users make themselves "invisible" while using AIM.
    Let's say you don't know my screen name, however I enter your screenname in my buddy list. Are you able to tell that I have added you to my buddy list?
    I hope I have explained myself clear enough.
    Thanks
    Yes... on AIM you can go "invisible". Below the advertisment on your buddy list, there will be an open eye and then to the right, your screenname will be there. To go invisible, just click on that eye, and close the eye, and it'll make you invisible.

For your second question, if you were to add me to your buddy list, I wouldn't be able to know, unless you told me you added me to it.

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much for your reply.
    The reason I asked the second question was because I had added someone to my buddy list under a screen name they did not know. I did not tell them I had added them. Well one day, lo and behold they messagd me, (they have AOL). I was floored. They said, "who is this?" I played dumb, and asked how they got my name. They said they wanted to message someone that screen name started with an "S", so they typed in "S", and my name appeared too.
    I tried that on my instant messenger, but it doesn't work.

The reason I asked the second question was because I had added someone to my buddy list under a screen name they did not know. I did not tell them I had added them. Well one day, lo and behold they messagd me, (they have AOL). I was floored. They said, "who is this?" I played dumb, and asked how they got my name. They said they wanted to message someone that screen name started with an "S", so they typed in "S", and my name appeared too.
    Hmmm... I don't know about AOL.. I'm sorry

Quote Originally Posted by CallieCutie
    Hmmm... I don't know about AOL.. I'm sorry
    Yes, that's what this thread was about. Just for AOL users. I have IM myself, but I don't have AOL so I want to know how it works for them.

I'm completely confused. Here's why:

1. If you're not using AOL, then how are you messaging an AOL user? If you're using one of those unified messengers, like Trillian, you're still using the AOL protocol. That is, you are communicating over the AOL service. So how did you add/contact this AOL user?

2. I've got my AOL IM up right now, but it's been a while since I've used it and even longer since I've added anyone or anyone has added me. It's pretty typical, though, that when you add a user to your "buddy list" (hate that term), your "buddy" will receive a notification.

3. Why would you even want to add a "friend" to your list, under one of your aliases (unknown to him), without his knowledge? Or do we even want to know?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

It wasn't the Instant Messenger system that gave him your name. On AOL there is a "Member Search" function under the People menu where you can search for anyone and everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I'm completely confused. Here's why:

1. If you're not using AOL, then how are you messaging an AOL user? If you're using one of those unified messengers, like Trillian, you're still using the AOL protocol. That is, you are communicating over the AOL service. So how did you add/contact this AOL user?

2. I've got my AOL IM up right now, but it's been a while since I've used it and even longer since I've added anyone or anyone has added me. It's pretty typical, though, that when you add a user to your "buddy list" (hate that term), your "buddy" will receive a notification.

3. Why would you even want to add a "friend" to your list, under one of your aliases (unknown to him), without his knowledge? Or do we even want to know?
    Phat.... non AOL users can download the AIM service and then not only IM aol users, but also get into Buddy Chats with them as well. Neither AOL's normal IM service, nor AIM, send email messages to members to tell them that someone is trying to add your screenname to their buddylist. Anyone can add anyone without their knowledge, unfortunately.

And..... I want to stay away from #3, but the only reason I can see for anyone adding someone's name without their knowledge is to keep an eye on their activities.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Phat.... non AOL users can download the AIM service and then not only IM aol users, but also get into Buddy Chats with them as well. Neither AOL's normal IM service, nor AIM, send email messages to members to tell them that someone is trying to add your screenname to their buddylist. Anyone can add anyone without their knowledge, unfortunately.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I'm a long time AOL geek. No problem. (I just cannot seem to cancel the darned thing, as I only pay $5 a month for it through work... raised from a previous $3... heh)
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    I'm a long time AOL geek. No problem. (I just cannot seem to cancel the darned thing, as I only pay $5 a month for it through work... raised from a previous $3... heh)
    If that's broadband, then you've got the deal of the century right there. Even if it's not, hey, that's pretty good.

Staying on-topic: Any IM addicts on the FoRT ought to give Trillian (http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/) a try--you can chat through Yahoo!, AOL, ICQ, IRC, and MSN at the same time. Best of all, it's stable, attractive and free.
    I've used it for years and like it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast