+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water softener?

Water softeners come in all sort of "grain" sizes, but I have no idea what grain size is good for us. We have 2 people in the house, a couple of animals, and ideally, we'd like to push our underground sprinkling through the water softener as well. Is 30,000 grains enough?
    Are you buying this house? If so, you should have the water tested beforehand... Your home inspector should take care of that... You're worried about mineral content, but also other contaminants like bacteria you can have in your water... They'll give you a breakdown on the mineral content and the inspector can probably tell you what size softener you should have to overcome that...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Well, it's new construction, so I assume whomever sunk the well had to have the water tested. But I don't have any contact with anyone involved in that part of it.

FORT Fogey
    I like to shop for Downy at Downy.com, where soft, fresh laundry is easy and convenient. Downy offers many products and scents to wrap you and your family in comfort and freshness ó every day.

Sometimes in the supermarket Iíll buy Tide, because I really like the way it decreases static cling (especially helpful with permanent-press and synthetic fibers), makes fabrics soft, reduces wrinkling, makes ironing easier, and adds a pleasing fragrance (or no fragrance at all) to my clothes.

A third option that I rarely choose, John, is to use Bounce, which is also available in the supermarket. I donít like this product quite as much as the two products mentioned above, but hey, itís better than nothing.

. . . oh, wait a minute. You said water softener???

Never mind!

Oh man... That read like a dream Pom!

But I must say: Bounce?! Ya gotta have snuggle on the list before Bounce... Bounce has the most nose piercing smell of them all. :rolleyes
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Well, it's new construction, so I assume whomever sunk the well had to have the water tested. But I don't have any contact with anyone involved in that part of it.
    John - I just moved in to a newly constructed house and the well water testing was required by the bank in order to close. A well certification was included in my closing paperwork. I don't know if that is required in your state but if its not I'm sure the builder could supply you with the name of the company that drilled the well.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

We owned a house with a well in the early 90's. Yes, the well has to be tested, but only for bacteria etc., not for minerals etc (well usually, that is the way it was where we were). We ended up opting to go with Culligan, and used a rent to own plan that worked out fairly well with a 2 tank system. I liked having the service guy come so I didn't have to mess around with the potassium permanganate etc., and when we sold the house we added in the price of the unit...which was fairly pricey as I recall (about $2000 canadian). However, our water really stunk...couldn't drink it even if you let it sit a day in the fridge, and it was hell on the bathroom shower doors etc.

I would test the water first (either with a kit or by a pro) to see what you have...maybe you can go cheaper, and if you like doing all the mucking around and such, I am sure there are some options available.I agree with angelic though, if you are planning on staying in the house for a while, don't go cheap, it will wreck your washer, dishwasher etc.

Oh, and Culligan (or whoever) will usually come out and test your water for free on the initial visit before they try to sell you their unit, which you are under no obligation to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by CallieCutie
    This is what I know from a CHEMISTRY prespective:

Water softener is of course for hard water. Water is called "hard" if it contains a lot of calcium or magnesium dissolved in it. It causes 2 problems, scaling (gets formed inside pipes, tea kettles, water heaters, toilets, etc) and when it reaction with soap it doesn't lather. There's 2 solutions, people usually go with water softners cause it's cheaper.You can filter the water by distillation or reverse osmosis to remove the Ca and Mg, or to use a water softener. Water softners work cause of replacing the Ca and Mg with Sodium. Gotta watch though, cause the system needs to be replaced like every year or so..
    I know someone who has hadthe same water softener for 10 years, and the one we have at my work is 8 years old. Got to just regularly add the salt.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    This is going to sound stupid, but does anyone here know anything about water soteners?
    Don't you put it in the washing machine with your cloths?
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

FORT Fan
    Just wanted to add on to what others have said: we installed a water softener unit after we moved in. (we don't have well water, just hard water). It is the same type of softener as Angelic One) Personally, I love salt water. My hair and clothes are softer, and it helps us use less soap in the washing machine and for doing dishes. However, because the water is salty- we also had to buy a reverse osmosis for drinking. That hooks up to that silver disc thing on the right side of the sink. (I never knew what that was for ) Our system, altogether, with softener and reverse osmosis was around $1,000. That was pretty much the going rate for it. The only thing we have had to do besides haul in salt every month, is to change the filters once a year. No problems at all so far and we've had it 6 years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12