+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Home Remedies

FORT Fan

Re: Home Remedies

another dryer sheets tip...

We don't use them, so we didn't try this. But when we bought our current house, we noticed we had tiny roommates (mice) in the attic. The exterminator came and took care of them, and sealed up the outside of the house. But he also told us that mice don't like dryer sheets. They are toxic to them. So put them in your garage/shed or other places they like to nest and they'll move to a different (hopefully outside!) location.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove;1370291;
    Oooh - I love this idea for a thread....

Let's see - off the top of my head (from my neighbor, the beekeeper): The best way to kill bees is to spray them with a mixture of soap and water.

You can reuse dryer sheets: they are good for dusting off TV screens and electronics.
    Dish soap and water is also good for kiling ants.

My daughter is taking a beekeeping class with her dad and told me at the store that only "raw" honey is uncut. "Pure" honey can have a huge percentage of corn syrup in it without listing it on the label because it is considered an additive or something. I don't remember the exact detail, but it was something she learned in class. There was only one choice for "raw" honey at the store, but darned if it doesn't taste just like the honey we used to get still in the comb when I was a kid. I'd look in farmers' markets during the summer for local honey. Or if your town has a festival with that sort of booth.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2876884;
    My daughter is taking a beekeeping class with her dad and told me at the store that only "raw" honey is uncut. "Pure" honey can have a huge percentage of corn syrup in it without listing it on the label because it is considered an additive or something. I don't remember the exact detail, but it was something she learned in class. There was only one choice for "raw" honey at the store, but darned if it doesn't taste just like the honey we used to get still in the comb when I was a kid. I'd look in farmers' markets during the summer for local honey. Or if your town has a festival with that sort of booth.
    Beekeeping class? That sounds really interesting and something I've never heard of.

We are VERY lucky to have 2 great farmer's markets with raw local honey and several great farm stands that also carry it. We are really lucky with the farm stands and markets for a LOT of great local things. I cannot wait until the tomatos come in. One stand does only heirloom and unusual varieties. We got black tomatos last year and they were DIVINE.
    Starting in about May, I don't buy any produce from the grocery store. Sat. morning is my favorite part of the weekend in the summer. We head to the farmer's market, get breakfast there, browse the booths, get produce, homebaked bread, fresh seafood, flowers, dog treats, all kinds of great stuff.
    The local beans are to DIE for. I have never seen purple speckled limas before we found them at the farmers market and they are soooo good.

I am really hoping to get away from all processed foods and would really like to target only organic if I can. Especially the organic meats. That is my goal anyway. I hope I can budget well enough to accomplish that. At least the farmer's market produce is very, very reasonable and most of it is organic.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Dryer sheets are good if you're travelling - they keep your suitcase fresh - especially once you start accumulating dirty clothes. Also, if you're travelling somewhere exotic where malaria is a problem, they repel mosquitos, so layer them in your clothes and keep a couple in your pockets when you go out. At the end of my trip to Africa, my friend's sister asked if she could have my dryer sheets because she didn't have a source for them. She had a washer that was also a dryer!! You didn't have to transfer from one machine to another. I wonder why we don't have that technology?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2878350;
    She had a washer that was also a dryer!! You didn't have to transfer from one machine to another. I wonder why we don't have that technology?
    A buddy of mine had one of those about 40 years ago.
    You can get one for about $1900.

Washer Dryer Combo - Portable Washer - All In One Washer Dryer Combination

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Shaybo II;2876773;
    Dish soap and water is also good for kiling ants.
    I have some major ant problems going on in my back yard. They are fairly good sized ants and have made holes about the size of half dollars. I need something that is safe for my pets to be around. I will try the dish soap and water, but I have a feeling I may need something a little stronger, does anyone have anything good they have tried?

I'm assuming you want non-toxic remedies, so...you can try liberally sprinkling cornmeal over the mounds. Or pour boiling water over them, but that tends to kill the grass, too. I've also used a mixture of borax (cheap, you can get it on the laundry aisle in the store) and molasses or honey, about 9 parts sweet stuff to one part borax. Pour over the mound, or put in a little container for them to crawl in if your pets won't get in it. Kills them nicely.

I had some wicked fire ant mounds when I first moved here, and have used all three remedies to get rid of them. They still pop up from time to time, but not nearly as bad as they were. I've also been told that they hate cinnamon or clove powder, but haven't tried it.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2878350;
    You didn't have to transfer from one machine to another.
    We had that when I was growing up also, Mom never transferred from one machine to the other - it was called "the kids"
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3057156;
    I'm assuming you want non-toxic remedies, so...you can try liberally sprinkling cornmeal over the mounds. Or pour boiling water over them, but that tends to kill the grass, too. I've also used a mixture of borax (cheap, you can get it on the laundry aisle in the store) and molasses or honey, about 9 parts sweet stuff to one part borax. Pour over the mound, or put in a little container for them to crawl in if your pets won't get in it. Kills them nicely.

I had some wicked fire ant mounds when I first moved here, and have used all three remedies to get rid of them. They still pop up from time to time, but not nearly as bad as they were. I've also been told that they hate cinnamon or clove powder, but haven't tried it.

Thanks so much Waywyrd! I can handle some popping up now and then, I just can't handle how they are taking over my yard. I can't wait to try your suggestions.
    Thanks again!
    Poohtz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast